Fed up with S&W PPK grips - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

KJacques .22
Fed up with S&W PPK grips

I bought a .32 PPK this year and a day or so later when I pulled the gun out, the grips literally fell of the gun, breaking into multiple pieces. It felt like they were crumbling. I don't remember seeing any cracks in them when I got it, because I can't imagine buying it if they had been obvious. But shooting the gun was put on hold while I waited for S&W to send replacements...which took well over a month.

Picked up a new .380 and on the first time at the range, the grips cracked and broke off at the bottom right corner. This happened on the first magazine. Been waiting a month for replacement grips from S&W.

Took the .32 today to the range to shoot along with a new (old) German PPK/s and when I got home, the grips on the little S&W .32 broke off on the top right when I was cleaning the gun. S&W says they'll send a label to mail the grips back so they can replace them. I've got a baggie full of black plastic pieces from two sets of grips to send to them now.

None of these grips had ever been removed prior to them breaking except for the replacement pair which I had carefully installed and not over torqued the screw. I knew already how fragile they were, yet it didn't matter.

So now I have two S&W PPK's sitting in their plastic boxes sans grips. I'd like to send both of them back to S&W. I can't seem to hit anything with them anyway. I thought it was because I wasn't used to these little PPK's anymore, but my new German PPK/s is dead on accurate.

I've been very complimentary of S&W, but I'm feeling very frustrated with them now.
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 AM   #2

metrotps .22
Is Armi Galesi, Rigarmi, or Reck making the grips for S&W now?
metrotps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
I haven't bothered to run a search but it seems to me there's been a rash of these complaints lately.

I think somebody wasn't tending the molding machine and it ran out of glass before it ran out of plastic...

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

KJacques .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
I haven't bothered to run a search but it seems to me there's been a rash of these complaints lately.

M
The smith rep was very surprised saying he'd never heard anything like this before. I guess he has short term memory problems because I have talked to him twice before about it. I mean, two bad grips on two new guns and then a bad replacement set? I can't believe I'm the only one to experience this recently. And every time I talk to them the grips are on back order.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
KJ: Get a pair of these and be done with S&W:

Walther PP/PPKS Checkered Coco Bolo Grips New Herrett

They look terrific, they're inexpensive, and they improve your overall control over the pistol, IMO.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #6

halfmoonclip .22
I've had a pair of S&Walther grips on my Interarms PPK for over a year with nary a problem.
It does sound like they either changed suppliers or grip compound. I'll be very surprised if Smith doesn't take care of you.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #7

KJacques .22
Moon, I'm glad to hear that you've been running those without a problem. It gives me hope that some OEM grips from S&W out there do work. I'm sure they'll take care of it.

Searcher, I'm a fan of those cocobolo grips, but I don't think they have them for the PPK(?). One thing I do like is how thin plastic is to wood on the PPK. I've been thinking of ordering the cocobolo for my PPK/s, tho.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Yeah, you are correct: They are for the PPK/S, not for the PPK. Wood grips for the PPK can be found at a decent price from Pete in Idaho's site:

Grips4u - Grips4u

Not as thin as the plastic, as you say, but apparently a lot more durable.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
I've got a special proposition for you frustrated optimists whose shattered grips are on eternal backorder, waiting for the next passage of Halley's Comet.

I have an assortment of used, original OEM Interarms black plastic Walther Banner grips for both the PP-PPK/s and the PPK. They are take-offs that are dinged, scarred up and dirty --nobody would mistake them for Princess Diana's underwear (not the set she was wearing in the unfortunate incident). HOWEVER, they are unbroken, serviceable, and the checkering is still pretty good, and they have the nuts and ferrules installed. They are far better than the broken pieces you've been staring at, and a reasonable substitute for the new ones you still don't have and (given the indifferent attitude of S&W) are unlikely to receive anytime soon.

Now the best part: Anybody in the USA who sends me a 10-dollar bill will discover a set of these in his mailbox. Yes, I realize this should be on the Trader Forum, but I am praying for indulgence. The total cost is no more than CDNN's flat rate shipping fee alone. If and when S&W ever replaces the grips, you can always use these panels as range donkeys to preserve the new ones from breaking again.

Any takers, sent me a PM. But don't ask me to guarantee they will fit an S&W. Probably they will, but I don't know --I've never tried it because I will not own such a POS.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 01-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #10

Location: North of the Rebublic. South east of Alba and West of Ling Ling.
ISOTOX .22
A nice pair of Crimson Trace did the trick for me.....
ISOTOX is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
grips for walther smith ppk
ppk wood grips
replacement grips for ppk

s&w ppk grips

s&w walther ppk grips

s&w walther ppk wood grips

walther ppk grip

walther ppk grips

walther ppk replacement grips
walther s w grips
wood grips for s&w ppk
wood grips for s&w ppk sale
Click on a term to search for related topics.