WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Supporting Member

BornFighting88 .22
PPK Jamming Trouble

Sponsored Links
Recently, a friend of mine who doesn't belong to the forum has started noticing trouble with his PPK/s jamming on a regular basis.

It's a new manufacture S&W model in .380 ACP.

Has anyone else noticed this with their own pistol, or know of this??

All input is appreciated. Looking to resolve this issue. Going to field strip it next time I see him, and see if it is just a lackluster cleaning job.

The sooner I get this info, the better, so PM's with help are encouraged!!!

Thanks everyone!!
BornFighting88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #2

Bcald7 .22
My Interarms PPK/s was starting to have the above problems mainly with feeding Winchester (Flat nosed FMJ From Wal-Mart) or hollow points.

I took mine to a gunsmith who's solved the problem on mine and a few PPK/s prior to mine by polishing the feed ramp to a mirror shine. Less friction makes the ammo feed like a dream.

Not sure if this is your friends problem or not, but good luck!
Bcald7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcald7 View Post

I took mine to a gunsmith who's solved the problem on mine and a few PPK/s prior to mine by polishing the feed ramp to a mirror shine. Less friction makes the ammo feed like a dream.

Not sure if this is your friends problem or not, but good luck!
And if that fails, change all the springs.

(I'm on a roll tonight.)

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

sirgilligan .22
I just joined the forum recently and I will try to help.
Mine is a S&W PPK/S. I have had no problems.

What type of jam is it having? I guess jam usually means a failure to feed, but but maybe it is something else, like a failure to eject, or extract, or double feed.

On mine there is a big end and little end on the recoil spring. The little end, the tight end, goes on the barrel first.

I had the ejector pop come off mine the first time I field stripped it. The lever on the left of the frame. There is a "V" spring in there, make sure it has the spring in there.

I hope that helps a little.
sirgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Banned

JW 759 .22
SW Houlton changed the original design because they felt they could improve it. Unfortunately they didn't and had to recall.

In .380 you are pressing all limits in a pp or ppk or ppk/s and if you want a .380 in these series I would not vote that caliber in. It was an afterthought to the original .32 ACP and has extended problems in timing, machining, ramp feed, recoil spring strength and other problems.

I think the Walther pp or ppk or ppk/s is made for .32 ACP and not .22 LR or .380.

Others will disagree.

It is a free country to state our experiences and opinions.
JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Supporting Member

BornFighting88 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgilligan View Post
I just joined the forum recently and I will try to help.
Mine is a S&W PPK/S. I have had no problems.

What type of jam is it having? I guess jam usually means a failure to feed, but but maybe it is something else, like a failure to eject, or extract, or double feed.

On mine there is a big end and little end on the recoil spring. The little end, the tight end, goes on the barrel first.

I had the ejector pop come off mine the first time I field stripped it. The lever on the left of the frame. There is a "V" spring in there, make sure it has the spring in there.

I hope that helps a little.
I have gone over the different spring diameters with him a few times, and he learned well. That is not the trouble. Just in cycling old shell out and new round in. Sent you a PM. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
Supporting Member

BornFighting88 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW 759 View Post
SW Houlton changed the original design because they felt they could improve it. Unfortunately they didn't and had to recall.

In .380 you are pressing all limits in a pp or ppk or ppk/s and if you want a .380 in these series I would not vote that caliber in. It was an afterthought to the original .32 ACP and has extended problems in timing, machining, ramp feed, recoil spring strength and other problems.

I think the Walther pp or ppk or ppk/s is made for .32 ACP and not .22 LR or .380.

Others will disagree.

It is a free country to state our experiences and opinions.
Not trying to be angry or rude, but I seriously don't believe that a bloomin' revolver should be in .410 bore shotshells, but people believe its the right thing, too.

I honestly thing .380 is a fantastic fit for the PPk. The only thing I would change is the weight of the recoil spring. That's my only beef with it.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #8

halfmoonclip .22
From some extended experience with both the .32 and .380 PP series, let me suggest that the window of reliable operation is much larger and more forgiving with the smaller caliber.
In .380, the slide is moving very fast and there are lots of opportunities for mischief. That's not to say that the .380 can't be made to work very well; it's just fussier.

Back to the OP's question:
-S&Walthers are not without their critics here. It seems, based on postings, that Smith may be getting their act together, and my personal experience with their customer service in the past has been exemplary. The problem may be the gun, and it may have to go back.
-Recoil spring tension drives gun designers to drink. Too heavy and the gun will short stroke; too light and the slide will move too fast for reliable function.
-Not all pistols are compatible with every loading in their caliber; it might be worth experimenting with other rounds to see if another one will work reliably.
-Feedramp polishing has been known to work, but it isn't necessarily a cure-all.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Banned

JW 759 .22
I've had ejectors and springs of ejectors eject out of the slide in .380.
Not in .32 ACP.
JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
MLB
Supporting Member

MLB .22
BF88, despite the nefarious machinations of those evil S&W guys , it is entirely within reason to expect a .380 ppk/s to work as intended. I'm pretty sure I'm not the holder of the only one.

"Jamming" is a bit nebulous though. Failures to feed or failures to eject can be magazine related, extractor related, ejector issues, (dare I say springs?), or more simply, cleaning or ammo related. Go simple first. Check different brands and styles of ammo and make sure it's cleaned up (chamber too).

The comment about this issue "developing" leads me to believe that it was working fine before. If the ammo is the same, grime or mags are the next most likely culprits. Clean them. Swap them out.

Making any changes to the gun should be a last resort. Best of luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
ppk 380 problems
ppk jamming

walther ppk 380 jamming

walther ppk jamming

walther ppk jamming problem

walther ppk jamming problems
walther ppk s jamming problem
walther ppk/s jamming

walther ppks .380 jamming

walther ppks feeding problems

walther ppks jamming

walther ppks jamming problems

Click on a term to search for related topics.