WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

autonut .22
PPK 380 Companion Revolver Anyone?

Sponsored Links
This is not a poo-poo Taurus thread. I have a couple of good Taurus revolvers. I also realize it's a Walther forum, but since the predominant round for the Walther is 380, and the "activity" here in this section has died-down a bit, I thought I would mention this just to see what sort of reaction it would draw.

Taurus has came-out with a lightweight 5-shot moon-clip 380 revolver weighing in at 15.5 ounces. For a while, I have considered this as a possible "companion" gun to my PPK/S. I have never been a moon-clip fan and I am thinking that it would be easier to change a 7-round mag in a PPK/S than it would a handful of 5 moon-clipped rounds in a tiny revolver.

If they are marketing this as a SD weapon that's fine...it should hide well, but I think the recoil would be about as severe from a 15-ounce 380 as it would be from a lightweight 38-special. I guess the only thing gained here is the use of the same round.

Any thoughts (or chastisement for me bringing-up a wheel-gun on an auto forum)?
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Supporting Member

UniversalExports .38
No chastisement. Just not for me. I'll stick to the PPK/S for the extra three rounds and slimmer profile for easier concealment.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

halfmoonclip .22
Auto, do you have a picture? A buddy of mine and I were talking about the .380 revo today, and I'd love a look at one. Checked out Taurus' website, and nada.
Gotta tell you that moon clips are the next big thing, again. Another buddy just got a J-frame Smith Centennial cut for 5-shot moonclips that use revolver .38 special rounds. I'm a fan (my nom-de-net being what it is), but my experience has been with .45ACP wheelguns.
The moonclips have a lot to recommend them; speedy, fumble-free reloads first among them (do you recall Jodie Foster cramming a speedloader into her Smith in Silence of the Lambs?); how much easier would it have been to shove a loaded clip into the cylinder without danger of dumping the rounds?
One last observation regarding .380 recoil; check out Pilot Steve's analysis of the issue elsewhere here, but the consensus seems to be that the Walther's ugly snap in .380 has more to do with the slide smacking the frame than the overwhelming power of the mighty .380 round.
And, to answer your question, yes I'm interested; just depends on how small the resulting revo is. Also agree that a 9mm version is of interest, and I can't believe that Smith hasn't resumed making their version, considering what used ones are going for.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

autonut .22
I will attach a picture of the blued version, but I like the looks of the Stainless version better (stainless barrel, crane and cylinder...alloy frame). Notice the small adjustable rear sight milled into the rear of the frame. It has one adjustment screw for windage...I think.

Taurus is notorious for having the wrong picture of a particular model gun on their website, or not even having a gun on the site that is in production. You can poke-around on the web and find pictures of the M380....Bud's Guns has them offered.

The thing that bugged me about the moon-clips is that Taurus had all sorts of issues with their Stellar clips used in the model 905 (9MM). I believe a lot of shooters purchased other better quality clips and "adjusted" them to fit.

I am supposing it is a DA only. It is a bit intriguing to have a 15 ounce pocket pistol in 380. I don't know if they are just slow to get these out to the suppliers, or the demand is not there yet, but many of the dealer web-sites are showing the guns out-of-stock. So, either they are not getting that many, or they are flying off the shelves.

These things (like all Taurus revolvers) are very reasonably priced and one can be had for $300 and less. BUT....having been a Taurus owner for years and dealing with them on warranty issues, it can be a pain. Another but....if this is built on the standard Taurus small frame........parts, tuning and repair will not likely be an issue. If you tinker with guns at all a Taurus is about the easiest one to work on if you are a "home gun-smith".

Hey....consider this....finding your 380 brass for reloading will be much easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M380.jpg (38.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by autonut; 10-13-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #5

halfmoonclip .22
Auto', that looks suspiciously like their J-frame equivalent .38 revolver; I had been told that the .380 version had a significantly shorter cylinder and shorter overall length, but I may have been told wrong.
Even looking on Taurus' homepage I couldn't get a look at one, but the concept does interest me.
Traditional .45 clips are inexpensive and usually no trouble at all. The full moons require a tool to remove the cartridges, and S&W tries to let you have it both ways. The new .38 Spl guns will function with or without the clips (if you don't want to use them, just toss the rounds in the cylinder normally). Smith .45s will work with AutoRims or even with regular .45 ACP without a clip (they headspace on the case mouth), but in that case you have to poke the empties out with a pencil. I hope Taurus follows Smith's lead and makes it all painless.
The buddy who just got the .38 really wanted the 9mm version, but those are currently made of unobtanium.
In any case, I will be surprised if we don't hear more on this idea; gun makers have been trying to spruce up revolver sales.
Moon
Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
I will be surprised if we don't hear more on this idea; gun makers have been trying to spruce up revolver sales.
Moon
I don't disagree with that, but I'd be doggone surprised if the solution was a .380 ACP revolver. Everybody and their uncle in the concealed carry world (except for those of us who are fond of the Walther PP/PPK series) complains about the wimpy nature of the round as it is. Firing it through a revolver isn't going to solve that "issue" for them.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #7

autonut .22
I think the gun is actually a bit longer (a tad) than the standard small frame, as in a model 85, etc. It looks like they "pushed" the cylinder forward.

I guess the way the gun sells will dictate it's life-span, or worthiness. Taurus seems to quickly drop anything that doesn't move.

It may be a decent stab at a reduced recoil pocket-revolver that uses a very common cartridge. Lots of people find the light-weight 38-specials a bit punishing to shoot. Maybe this gun will find a niche among the revolver fans that want a light-weight with less recoil and easy ammo availability. I think you can walk into about any place and find 380 as quickly as you can 38-special...the round is so prolific in small auto's. The S&W 32 short or long....not so easy to find.

I will really start wondering if they come out with a 25ACP.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #8

halfmoonclip .22
Auto, the abundance of .22 and .22mag revolvers out there almost certainly precludes the introduction of a .25 revolver. The biggest advantage of a .25 over a .22 in autopistols is reliability of feed and ignition. The revolver removes those advantages and the round is much cheaper to boot.
I think you are on better ground with the .380 wheelgun. Many people (womenahem) are recoil sensitive, and even a .38 can seem pretty daunting. The small case capacity and light bullet should keep the .380 pretty tame, and many new shooters are also fond of the revolver for its simplicity of loading and function. And you are also right that, due to the LCP and its kin, the ammo is abundant and even getting less expensive.
In any case, I'm anxious to handle the new Taurus.
Moon
Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #9

autonut .22
I was just joking about the 25ACP. The wife IS one of those recoil-shy people, but she can shoot your eyes out with her 8-shot 10-ounce 22 Smith 317. I want to work her up to the PPK/S 32ACP. I think I can. She will shoot the 32 longs and wadcutters, but does not like the weight and size of the all steel revolver. You know how it is with a woman and her purse.

ALL....I surely did not want this to morph too far into revolver territory and away from Walther territory. Most of us own all types of weapons and I just found the subject of a 380 revolver interesting.

There is a forum dedicated to this brand and I am sure any interested party can go to that forum and read all about the M380.

I have enjoyed the discussion.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #10

fury413rb .22
i carry a Taurus 85 in an ankle holster
fury413rb is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

380 moon clips

380 revolver
holster for taurus m380
moon clips for a taurus 380 revolver
moon clips m380
stellar clips for 380
taurus 380 revolver moon clips
taurus 380 stellar clips

taurus m380 holster

taurus m380 moon clips

taurus m380 revolver holster
taurus stellar clips 380
Click on a term to search for related topics.