WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #21

M_E_ .22
Sponsored Links
There are a few ammo manufacturers out there who claim to make +P 380 ammo. I called several of them & they could not / would not tell me the actual pressures their hot ammo produces. Since I have NO DESIRE to blow up my vintage PP / 380, I avoid it at all costs. IF you were to get some, you would have to get a higher power recoil spring to handle it. BUT, you will have to change the spring BACK to the factory one to handle standard loads. The gun will NOT FUNCTION with standard ammo & higher than factory poundage springs. Been there, done that.

It's a 380. Period. Need more oomph? Get a PPS in 9MM. Leave that hype ammo alone. It's sort of like a hot redhead. You think it will be great but it turns out to be trouble.

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #22

halfmoonclip .22
Oddly enough, had a Kahr P380 that was +P rated, and it gave the occasional smokestack with normal-pressure ammo; always suspected that it was oversprung. Since I had no desire to tinker with springs every time there was an ammo change,(frankly, I no longer trusted the gun) I got rid of it.

The arms industry would do us all a favor and establish a SAAMI standard for +P .380, tho' if the 9mm Diamondback is any indication, it may not be long before we have a crop of .380-sized nine mils on the market.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #23

rifleshooter474 .22
Just for breaking in and testing I have used Win White Box 95gr. For carry I have tested some Hornady Critical Defense 90gr and it has worked great no FTF or FTE and very accurate.
My next carry Ammo. I will test will be Federal Hydrashok 90gr hollow point low recoil. I have used it in other handguns and it also works good.
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #24

michael t Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
Is there a SAMMI spec for 380+P?
Just curious

NO their isn't so officially their is no +P But a company can say what they want. I guess

Corbon isn't +P and I would think its near the max pressure listed by SAAMI. its hot enough to do the job DPX is a great bullet.

My PPK/S is a older Interarms. It has fired a lot of Corbon JHP and DPX since I bought it used.Never been a problem. As long as the rounds falls with in the numbers for SAAMI it should be safe for you pistol . To days 38spl +P is about as hot as a normal 38spl was in the 1960's. Lawyers I guess . I shoot +P in my old S&W revolvers for this reason Haven't ruined one yet. When pinned down S&W has said If has a model number can shoot limited +P .
MyPPK/S doesn't bite, because it loves me.
http://bersachat.com
http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com

Last edited by michael t; 09-19-2011 at 12:21 AM.
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #25

michael t Unproven
Quote:
tho' if the 9mm Diamondback is any indication, it may not be long before we have a crop of .380-sized nine mils on the market.
from what I have seen of DB. If that case be a lot of broken ones . I bet a guy his wouldn't make a 100 rounds before broke It failed before end of first mag.
I have a KelTec PF-9 It has been a great pistol still pretty new but eats what every thing I have tried.

My dealer has about given up on DB to many come back.
MyPPK/S doesn't bite, because it loves me.
http://bersachat.com
http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #26

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
from what I have seen of DB. If that case be a lot of broken ones . I bet a guy his wouldn't make a 100 rounds before broke It failed before end of first mag.
I have a KelTec PF-9 It has been a great pistol still pretty new but eats what every thing I have tried.

My dealer has about given up on DB to many come back.
Don't have one, but a guy at our club does. He's been shooting snubby league and seems to be doing okay, but he's been at the other end of the line so I have no firsthand info.
He gave me a test hop, and I did have feeding problems on the third shot of each mag. Trigger and felt recoil were both quite good, so perhaps they will get their chit together.
One of the problems with KelTec and Diamondback is a hard determination to sell their guns on the cheap. We may just have to wait for a MFG willing to charge a little more for something that works.
Moon
Moon
Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #27

BROBS Unproven
the beretta nano seems like it may be legit. about the size of the kahr cm/pm9.. actually a little smaller.
with a starting MSRP of $475
BROBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #28

halfmoonclip .22
The charm of the Diamondback was a size only fractionally greater than that of an LCP; slightly longer in the barrel and no thicker. I've handled a number of other micro-nines, and none have come close to the D-back for size. I have fired the KelTec pocket 9, and never found it ergonomically acceptable; you needed a bike glove to fire more than one magazine, and the gun was significantly bigger than the LCP/P3AT size. The D-back, in my brief exposure, seemed pretty shootable.

Brobs, appreciate the tip, but if the Nano is as big as the PM9, it is bigger than an LCP. Of course the LCP's claims to fame are extra small size and gravity-like reliability.

There has been such a market for pocketable carry guns that I have to think the MFG's can see the possibilities.
Moon
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #29

BROBS Unproven
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
The charm of the Diamondback was a size only fractionally greater than that of an LCP; slightly longer in the barrel and no thicker. I've handled a number of other micro-nines, and none have come close to the D-back for size. I have fired the KelTec pocket 9, and never found it ergonomically acceptable; you needed a bike glove to fire more than one magazine, and the gun was significantly bigger than the LCP/P3AT size. The D-back, in my brief exposure, seemed pretty shootable.

Brobs, appreciate the tip, but if the Nano is as big as the PM9, it is bigger than an LCP. Of course the LCP's claims to fame are extra small size and gravity-like reliability.

There has been such a market for pocketable carry guns that I have to think the MFG's can see the possibilities.
Moon
i shot an LCP and it felt like i was shooting from a credit card. it's simply too small for me.
BROBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #30

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROBS View Post
i shot an LCP and it felt like i was shooting from a credit card. it's simply too small for me.
Brobs, a lot of it comes down to how the gun fits your hand. I have a buddy who can't shoot a Centennial because his trigger finger and thumb get tangled up. I wish the LCP had a better trigger, but its compact size and stone reliability keep me a fan, and it does fit my hand fairly well. I reload .380s, so it gets shot a lot.
Moon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
.380 plus p
380 plus p

380 plus p ammo

plus p 380 ammo
ppk 380 p
ppks 380
ppks with plus p .380
walther ppk 380 and plus p ammo
walther ppk 380 p ammo
walther ppk 380 plus p

walther ppk p

walther ppk p ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.