WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Trooper Joe .22
Looking for a .32, blue, PPK- German made.

Sponsored Links
My love/hate relationship with Walther PPK and PPK's began in 1965. I am listing a brief history to put my comments in perspective:

1965 (LEO on a municipal PD), 1st James Bond movie where he was issued a PPK (his Beretta .25 ACP malfunctioned on his last mission if I remember correctly). I bought a WWII PPK in .32 ACP, had it reblued, and carried it as an off duty weapon with ball ammo. I don't remember it ever malfunctioning. I think I paid $35 for it with a spare magazine.

1968, (am now on a State LE Agency) bought a W. German made .380. blue PPK. I remember driving to Shelbyville, Indiana and talking Lee Juris into selling me a couple hundred .380 "Super Vel" bullets. I think I paid $87 for the PPK brand new. Loaded for it, kept it about 4 years, it never failed to malfunction at least once during every qualifying shoot. Sold it for $150 and was sort of immediately sorry, at first.

1975 (about) talked my agency into issuing me an Interarms, Stainless, PPK/s in .380. Used it in plain clothes/detective duties for about 5 years. It also never failed to malfunction at least once during qualifying. Got promoted and the department made me turn it in.

1989 retired from the State LEA.

1995 (about) bought a stainless steel PPK from Interarms in .380. This was the first Walther that gave me the famous/infamous "Walther Bite". Sold that gun to a local deputy after about a month. Got into my first Sig 230, stainless, .380. The Sig never malfunctioned and was very accurate. (Seems that the local police supply shop told me that at this time the Kentucky State Police were issuing either PPK or PPKs as a backup gun for their Troopers. He said he heard that they had to have all of them modified so that they would feed defense/hollow point ammo.)

2010-Got sick and bought another PPKs, two months old, for $312. Some local cop must have had it about a week. This was the worst PPK/PPKs I ever owned. It was a S & W gun and really surprised since I normally really trust S&W guns. This thing was truly dangerous in that if you tried to unload a live round, it would slip off the extractor and really jam up the gun. Also, if you introduced the first round into the chamber from a loaded magazine, the second round in the magazine would come forward enough so that you could not remove it from the gun. Found this forum and was advise that all semi autos did this (pardon me but I never saw it before in my prior Walthers or numerous other high quality and not so high quality brands). Called S&W and they sent me a free drop tag even though I was not the original owner. Got it back, the extractor was fixed but the magazine still malfunctioned as before. Called S&W and they said to push in the magazine several times so that you in effect push the top round back in so that it would then come out of the gun.

Traded that last gun in on another Sig and sort of never looked back.

Now comes the strange part of my story. I think since I am so old and trying to relive my younger days, I am looking for a German (or W. German) made, blue, .32 ACP PPK. I think they are probably the most dependable and would be fun to shoot. (Don't think I will give up my Kel Tec P-32 which never malfunctions, but it would be still fun to have it at the range. Could tell a lot of war stories over the PPK.)

Any thoughts on what to pay for one and where can I get proper magazines, etc. Who can tune up these old Walthers.

Thanks for any info,
Trooper Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #2

spectre765 .22
They aren't cheap

Don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods German-made PPKs are $500 and up, depending on condition.

I've always had good luck with Italian-made Mec-Gar magazines.
spectre765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #3

LimeDeer .22
Trooper:

First of all, thanks for the interesting story of your career and gun experiences.

I suggest you look at Simpson Ltd for your PPK. They don't have the lowest prices but have a good selection to choose from. I have never bought from them although it's fun to browse their listings. I've gotten better prices on GunBroker and Auction Arms.
LimeDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

gene 1 .22
Trooper Joe ,,, I have about the same story as you except mine started about 10 years earlier. I bought WW2 ppk's for $35 to $45 and bought 22,32 & 380. I never had any trouble with any of them. In the last 5 years or so I got back into them again. I found a WW2 32 ppk & it works great.

What you want is harder to find & a lot more expensive, but look on Gunbroker.com. You will find alot there. If you want blue ,look at the ppk/s as they are cheaper than the ppk & more available. If all else fails look at a new post recall S&W ppk 32 as they are a lot better in 32. I have one in 32 & it is flawless. They only come in stainless in 32. Also look for an Interarms ppk or ppk/s in32. The 32's have alot fewer problems than 380. I have both & a Manhurin 32 PP that is nice . Oh & I was not a cop, so we do differ there.

The only blue 32 you will find is a prewar ppk or a French or German postwar gun. As I said the ppk/s can be found in blue from about $450 up (generally up) in those older guns. Stick with the 32 as it is alot better and easier for us old guys to shoot.
gene 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #5

Trooper Joe .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene 1 View Post
Trooper Joe ,,, I have about the same story as you except mine started about 10 years earlier. I bought WW2 ppk's for $35 to $45 and bought 22,32 & 380. I never had any trouble with any of them. In the last 5 years or so I got back into them again. I found a WW2 32 ppk & it works great.

What you want is harder to find & a lot more expensive, but look on Gunbroker.com. You will find alot there. If you want blue ,look at the ppk/s as they are cheaper than the ppk & more available. If all else fails look at a new post recall S&W ppk 32 as they are a lot better in 32. I have one in 32 & it is flawless. They only come in stainless in 32. Also look for an Interarms ppk or ppk/s in32. The 32's have alot fewer problems than 380. I have both & a Manhurin 32 PP that is nice . Oh & I was not a cop, so we do differ there.

The only blue 32 you will find is a prewar ppk or a French or German postwar gun. As I said the ppk/s can be found in blue from about $450 up (generally up) in those older guns. Stick with the 32 as it is alot better and easier for us old guys to shoot.
Gene,

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention in my first post that I used to actualy have nightmares of using my PPK or PPKs and the bad guy was still comming at me after the gun malfunctioned.

I also feel that the .32 acp is the way to go. If I remember right, my original PPK in 32 acp never malfunctioned. Of course that was in 1965 and there was only ball ammo available.

I think you are right on trying to find a blue, PPK prior to Interarms. I am seeing a lot of PPK/s and PP guns which are a lot cheaper. I may spring for a PP in .32 acp in blue since I am finding a lot of these even locally.

I don't know if I can buy another S&W Walther. But maybe if I find a cheap .32 in PPK format I may try another one.

This is a great forum and full of good information.

Trooper Joe
Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #6

gene 1 .22
Trooper Joe,,, I went shooting today with my 2 sons & grandson & grand daughter & she shot for the first time . She shot my 32PP 1956 Manhurin & 1940 32 ppk. The guns both shot perfectly & she did get all of her shot in about 8"" at 25'. Real good for an 18 year old first time shooter.
I use mostly Fiocchi fmj & hp. The PP will shoot most anything but the 1940 will only shoot fmj.

I bought the Manhurin PP at a gun show for about $400 & it is in 95% condition. Honestly the S&W 32 ppk I have is just as good as the old guns & will shoot anything. I made a trade with a dealer for it & he ordered it from Davidsons ,the distributer who gives a lifetime guaranty for full replacement or repair . Like I told Searcher I am not too worried about how long it lasts as I am 80 .

We also shot my Interarms 380 ppk/s & the kids liked it too.The 32 is so much nicer to shoot & easier to load . The trigger is much nicer too in da. Hope you can find something, but do look out for a blue French or German postwar ppk/s as I have seen some nice ones on Gunbroker recently. There are more of the ppk/s 's around because the could import them after the 1968 gun control act on ppk.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #7

Trooper Joe .22
.......I bought the Manhurin PP at a gun show for about $400 & it is in 95% condition. Honestly the S&W 32 ppk I have is just as good as the old guns & will shoot anything. .......

Thanks Gene,

I was wondering if the .32 PPK or PPK/s experience "rim lock" with hollow point ammo. I never heard of this until I bought my Kel Tec P32.

Since .32 ACP has a small rim, hollow point ammo, which is usually shorter than ball ammo, can sometimes lock the rim on the round above it in a magazine. In my Kel Tec, I carry a Silver tip in the barrel and top round in the magazine. All the rest in the magazine are ball, fmj rounds.

Just wondering,

Trooper Joe
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #8

gene 1 .22
Trooper,,, Some people say it doesn't exist, but I sure have had it. It was with some of the shorter hp's like Corbon. I have never had a problem with any Fiocchi 73 gr fmj, 60 gr hp or their 60 gr xtp ( that I can see no use for , other than it was available ).

The only round I nave had trouble with was Buffalo Bore . Look up Ballistics101.com & see the comparisons on 32's. Also a site called GoldenLoki.com for more info. You will find Fiocchi is better than most at 160# energy( 130# for the xtp) They have been the most accurate too.

Like I said ,the S&W 32 has shot every thing I put in it except 1 Buff. Bore. It is all lead & seemed to give trouble on all my 32's. The Manhurin also has fed most everything. It is a 1956 ex police gun from Bremen, Germany.

My 1940 really only likes fmj. As I remember with rimlock I had to take the mag apart on one occasion.Joe , as I said before blue 32 ppk's ceased to exsist in this country after 1968 , only blue ppk/s or PP's. I am like you & do like the ppk best but I do like the ppk/s really well. I hav put some pictures of all my guns on some other posts recently. Also I use walther or meg gar mags on all my ppk's regaurdless of gun age.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #9

halfmoonclip .22
TJ, rimlock is real in a KelTec; mine did it if I used MagTech ammo, which is cursed with a semi-rim with a really sharp edge. Other brands seem to have a more pronounced bevel, which allows the upper round to ride over its neighbor's rim below. Since I've never seen a problem with the MagTechs in a Walther, the less powerful recoil spring in the locked breech KT must be the issue. I have never had any problems with Silvertips in either a Walther or a KelTec.
Couple pieces of unsolicited advice. Since Gene has already let the cat out of the bag about the superiority of the .32s (I'd hoped to keep that more of a secret until I bought every one I wanted....), by all means go with the smaller caliber. Enjoyed reading your summary, and your experiences reflected my own with the @#$!$@$#@#@$!#@!!!!! .380. My personal preference for range and carry is the Interarms stainless .32, due to its nice workmanship, reliability, and resistance to wear. In perfect truth, my couple three Walthers are mostly range toys, but the stainless still can be used without looking the worse for it. Gene is correct; the /s version is a bit cheaper and, subjectively, seems easier to find. Too, Gene has had good luck with his Smith & Walther.
Second, trade the KelTec on an LCP; you'll get a more powerful round in a carry gun that still works all the time. Mine has a high round count and has never missed a beat. Crummy trigger, lousy sights, but it works and you can hit things. I'm not LE, but wouldn't have any trouble doing quals. It even gobbles my lead bullet reloads, no problemo.
Moon
halfmoonclip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #10

Trooper Joe .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene 1 View Post
Trooper,,, Some people say it doesn't exist, but I sure have had it. It was with some of the shorter hp's like Corbon. I have never had a problem with any Fiocchi 73 gr fmj, 60 gr hp or their 60 gr xtp ( that I can see no use for , other than it was available ).

The only round I nave had trouble with was Buffalo Bore . Look up Ballistics101.com & see the comparisons on 32's. Also a site called GoldenLoki.com for more info. You will find Fiocchi is better than most at 160# energy( 130# for the xtp) They have been the most accurate too.

Like I said ,the S&W 32 has shot every thing I put in it except 1 Buff. Bore. It is all lead & seemed to give trouble on all my 32's. The Manhurin also has fed most everything. It is a 1956 ex police gun from Bremen, Germany.

My 1940 really only likes fmj. As I remember with rimlock I had to take the mag apart on one occasion.Joe , as I said before blue 32 ppk's ceased to exsist in this country after 1968 , only blue ppk/s or PP's. I am like you & do like the ppk best but I do like the ppk/s really well. I hav put some pictures of all my guns on some other posts recently. Also I use walther or meg gar mags on all my ppk's regaurdless of gun age.
Gene,

Thanks again for the info. Maybe I will buy a S&W PPK in .32 acp until I find a real one. At least with the S&W tang extension, I may avoid the "Walther Bite" I have some Fiocchi, but after your comment and review some of the old posts on this forum, I will buy more when I see it. Fiocchi works really great on my other handguns (380, 9mm, and 45 acp) so it is no mystery that it does a good job with the .32 PPK and PPK/s.

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

german made ppk

german made ppk .32
german made walther ppk
german walther ppk .32

german walther ppk 32

ppk 32 blue
walther ppk 32 acp blue
walther ppk 32 blue
walther ppk 32acp blue
walther ppk blued 32
walther ppk german made
walther ppks .32 w germany
Click on a term to search for related topics.