WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #1

IPSC .22
Process for USA people to buy/ship guns from Europe

Sponsored Links
I would like to know the process of buying a gun in Europe ( let us say Belgium or Germany), and the "Total" cost to get it to me in USA. I'm speaking about buying from a gun shop, not from a European private individual. It seems there is-->

1.) the cost of the gun
2.) shipping and handling cost
3.) processing fees
4.) VAT ( only paid by EU people?....do I have to pay this?...if so, can I get it paid back later by the government?)
5.) Export license fee by Seller?

Does anyone know the process?

On E-gun website, and elsewhere, I find very good prices for some guns compared to here....but often items 2)-5) might add up to 130-150 Euros or more…. on top of the gun cost, I think. I would like to know how this works, to know if I am getting a good deal.

Last edited by IPSC; 05-25-2011 at 05:31 PM.
IPSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Leighton .22
My only knowledge of this is from my time in the US Army there. Once firearm was purchased, and about 9 months out from rotation you filled out a ATF form 6 with all the information asked for on the form, and mailed it off, and the waiting began. ATF uses a number scale to allow firearms to enter the USA. I think they hade to make 75 points or higher to be allowed. Thats the first part, then they have series of serial numbers that the disallowed, with no reason given, it was always stamped in red on the back of the form 6.

Once all guns are approved, you then have to have the entire list of firearms added to your travel orders via the post customs office, because they had to clear all your firearms registration cards, while you were clearing post prior to leaving country.

It worked the exact opposite returning to overseas. All firearms you wanted to transport had to be added to your travel orders, If not listed, they can't go. Once you arrive in country, make damn sure you retain a copy of these, cause if not, and these may have been on a list of guns that couldn't be transported back, you'll have to surrender those guns to the US Military customs, who turns them over to Germman customs for destruction.

P.S. At no time can any ammunition be transported with the firearms. Ammunition can only be purchased in country after all firearms owned have been registard with the Provost Marshall office that also controls Vehicle registration.

If your gun comes back on the form 6 as disaproved, and was purchased through the Rod & Gun Club, they usually, after showng the dsproval document plus bill of sale, will do a full refund, along with purchasing most ammo too.

hope this helps!!

Leighton
Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

IPSC .22
Interesting stuff......don't think much applies if I myself am not in the armed forces and not physically going from one side of the pond to another.

I am located in USA and see interesting web-site offerings world-wide at what "seems" to be firesale prices ( at times) compared to USA stuff available. I am sure there are extra costs involved in doing an overseas transaction to import guns from an overseas shop...and I'd like to know what these are, to be better prepared. On our side...is there duty ?...for example, to add too?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

Leighton .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSC View Post
Interesting stuff......don't think much applies if I myself am not in the armed forces and not physically going from one side of the pond to another.

I am located in USA and see interesting web-site offerings world-wide at what "seems" to be firesale prices ( at times) compared to USA stuff available. I am sure there are extra costs involved in doing an overseas transaction to import guns from an overseas shop...and I'd like to know what these are, to be better prepared. On our side...is there duty ?...for example, to add too?
I would contact ATF for their rules governing importation of a single firearm.
Leighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #5

IPSC .22
Good point.....
Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

M_E_ .22
I don't think you are going to like the importation license fees. $$$ and than more $$$. IF the pistol or rifle of your choice is even importable!!

Good Luck!!

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

TLock762X51 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
P.S. At no time can any ammunition be transported with the firearms.Leighton
I'm not sure how you mean this exactly. if you're referring to taking ammo into Germany, you may be correct...but you can definitely transport ammo & firearms within the country, to the range and back, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
If your gun comes back on the form 6 as disaproved, and was purchased through the Rod & Gun Club, they usually, after showng the dsproval document plus bill of sale, will do a full refund, along with purchasing most ammo too.
Leighton
I worked at the Rod & Gun club at Bitburg AB for almost 2 years. I filled out, and helped fill out import forms for dozens of customers (as well as dozens of my own forms.) I also witnessed lots of folks who screwed their forms up and got denied, or waited too late to send them in. I don't know if the Army R&G rules were different, but we were absolutely forbidden from ever, EVER...EVER buying ammo from customers. (This was great for me, because people were constantly coming in to try to sell us their ammo before they PCS'ed, and they often ended up giving us their ammo when they found out we couldn't buy it.) I also never heard of us buying a gun back because the import paperwork had been denied, because for one thing...we would never sell a gun that was not importable. I could believe that if we sold a gun which later was deemed as not-importable that we would buy it back, or somehow compensate the customer.

As to the OP's question...I believe that in order to import guns (aside from military members) you must have an import license, and I'm not sure if you can get one for individual purchases. However, I would think that the BATFE would definitely be the department to contact to learn the process. I would imagine that, unless you're planning on buying a lot of guns, it would probably be cost-prohibitive.

Tim
TLock762X51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #8

me109g4 .22
Does anyone have a link to this E-gun website? i cant find it,, JT
me109g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

IPSC .22
Here ya go......upper right hand side has a button to allow translation of site to other languages, it's like an "Ebay" for guns...in German--->

Too bad the original PPK is not importable.....saw one here or elsewhere in 7.65mm, for a "buy-it-now" price of 99 Euro ( ~ $142)...plus all the nonsense cost of trying to get it over here. PP and PPk/S would be legal to import....not PPK, alas.

eGun - Der Marktplatz für Jäger, Schützen und Angler

Last edited by IPSC; 05-26-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Supporting Member

uncut .22
Simpson LTD is a dealer that will import from Europe....
you also need to find a dealer that is willing to export though

Nothing but the best for the best

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
buying a gun in germany
buying firearms in europe
buying guns in belgium

buying guns in europe

buying guns in germany

can you buy guns in germany
how to ship guns from europe to us
how toship guns to the usa
importing guns from europe
sending antique pistol to germany
shipping a gun from germany to the us

shipping guns from germany

Click on a term to search for related topics.