WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Frolic1 .22
.32 cal PPK/s any problems?

Sponsored Links
There have been a lot of posts about problems with the S&W PPK/s chambered for 380. Most of these problems are about proper cycling of the rounds, failure to eject, failure to chamber, stove pipe, etc. My question is does this also occur with the S&W .32 version of the PPK/s? Or is it just the 380?
Frolic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
It's a good question, and a fair question, and one that we only have hit-and-miss answers to based on the posts that we've seen here through the past couple of years. But it has been mentioned on more than one occasion on this forum that the .32 ACP model seems to have far fewer reports of problems than does the .380. Deputy's reliable S&W-made .32 caliber PPK comes to mind, in fact.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
prm

prm .22
Can't speak for the S&Ws. From what I have read, S&W is good about fixing any problems ~ not that you expect to have them out of a new gun.

Over the past 30 or so years I have owned:

1 Interarms PPK/S in .380
1 Manurhin PP in .380
2 Manurhin PPs in .32 ACP
1 Interarms PPK/S in .32 ACP

I still have one of the .32 Manurhin PPs and the Interarms PPK/S in .32. Both of the .380s would have an occasional FTE. Not often enough to be a big concern ~ maybe one out of a hundred rounds.

The .32s are a different story. The one I sold and the two I still own have been exceptional in their performance. None of the three have ever given a single problem. I have shot several brands of FMJ and hollow points with a round count in the thousands on my Manurhin. My Interarms is a new acquisition, but is proving to be the same.

Just from personal experience, the PP series pistols are just a better fit for the .32 caliber.
prm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Theoretically the .380 cartridge should be less troublesome than the .32 because it is rimless, while the .32 is semi-rimmed --more problematic for smooth feeding from the magazine. However, that advantage may well be more than offset by the gentler recoil impulse of the .32, which seems to suit the size and weight of the Walther PP-series pistols better than the .380, and gives more reliable functioning overall. I can't "prove" this with a quadratic equation (like some people think they can), but in my purely subjective opinion, the .380 is nasty and uncomfortable in those guns.

There is no reason to imagine any difference in the fit, finish and functionality (or lack thereof) in S&W .380s v. .32s. The same ex-dairy workers produce both in the same misbegotten manufactory. Perhaps the fewer complaints with .32 are attributable simply to the fact that in the PPK/s and PPK models (Smith does not make a PP), the .380s vastly outnumber the .32s.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 10-08-2010 at 08:38 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

Jeekay29 .22
From my earlier post in another thread:

"My Houlten Walther .32 PPK (manufactured post-recall) has been flawless. I've now put 1,500 rounds of Remington and Blazer hardball range ammo through her without the slightest hiccup. (I suspect the pistol would be just as reliable with quality self-defense rounds.) And accuracy-wise, with a two-hand hold, I can consistently keep a mag-load within a handprint at 50 feet. I love this little pistol!"
Jeekay29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Perhaps the fewer complaints with .32 are attributable simply to the fact that in the PPK/s and PPK models (Smith does not make a PP), the .380s vastly outnumber the .32s.

M
That could well be the case, MGMike. It's certainly worth consideration. It would be interesting to get sales figures on the two calibers, but I'd wager that it would be easier to get the folks at S&W to properly repair a pistol than to get numbers from them.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Supporting Member

Gene83 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
That could well be the case, MGMike. It's certainly worth consideration. It would be interesting to get sales figures on the two calibers, but I'd wager that it would be easier to get the folks at S&W to properly repair a pistol than to get numbers from them.
You're right. I actually tried to get production numbers and was told that they don't give them out. They do have to report numbers to the federal government, but the most recent fed report I could find on the internet was from 2008. In 2008, at the Houlton facility they manufactured 17,946 guns in .380 caliber and 608 in .32 caliber.

http://www.atf.gov/statistics/downlo...ort-report.pdf
Gene83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Nice job, Gene. That does tell us something and provides some indication that MGMike's theory is logical, if not absolutely correct.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #9

SolidSnake .22
I posted this on a seperate topic but this also has to do with this one.

I have a Smith and Wesson .380 PPK and have had quite a few issues with it. The first time I ever fired it I put around 100 rounds through it and had two misfires which was no big deal since many guns have a break in period. The next time I fired it I had a misfire on average twice per magazine and bullets wouldn't chamber right. After that I heard about the recall and sent it in also hoping that they would see something obvious as an issue and fix it. I got it back from the recall and had the same issues. I took it back to the Gander Mtn I bought it at to see if the gunsmith could fix it, he said it had to be sent back in since it was still under warrenty. I got it back again and the first thing I noticed when I would cock it the hammer would fall back in the single action position and the first shot is no longer double action. On the plus side I can get around 50 rounds through it before I start getting the average of one misfire per mag. I clean the gun and have tried various brands of ammo. Has anyone else had these issues?
SolidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekay29 View Post
... And accuracy-wise, with a two-hand hold, I can consistently keep a mag-load within a handprint at 50 feet...
I am delighted to discover that there is someone else in this world who judges the practical accuracy of a pistol in the same way and at the same distance that I do.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
32 caliber walther ppk
walther cal 32
walther ppk .32

walther ppk 32 cal

walther ppk 32 cal for sale

walther ppk 32 cal review
walther ppk 32 cal reviews

walther ppk 32 cal sale

walther ppk 32 review

walther ppk/s 32 cal

walther ppks 32 cal

walther ppks 32 review

Click on a term to search for related topics.