WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

brokenbutnotdead .22
Ammo Suggestions PPK/S .380

Sponsored Links
I understand every pistol will function differently with various brands of ammunition. I finally shoot my new S&W today and overall I was very pleased. It functioned 100% with Hornady JHP and Buffalo Bore. On the negative it would not feed RWS. It's the only range ammo which was available. I think the rounds were riding the extractor and it would not go into battery. What's everyone using for range ammo? I some ideas were to start. I also was amazed how soft the Walther shot. It's going to get a lot of range time. Thanks, Matt
brokenbutnotdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

michael t Unproven
I use S&B , Mag Tech , I carry Corbon DPX as SD round
MyPPK/S doesn't bite, because it loves me.
http://bersachat.com
http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Kurt_D .22
So far as range ammo is concerned, I have successfully shot Remington (UMC), Magtech and PMC FMJ. However, I can't really recommend PMC since the last couple of boxes I shot were very dirty and I had to do a more comprehensive tear-down of the pistol to get all the nooks and crannies clean (a lot of "soot" and some granular crud).

For SD ammo, I normally carry Federal Hydra Shok (never a failure) and have found that Wolf Gold JHPs feed without issue.

This is in my particular PPK/S, in factory configuration except I had to replace the recoil spring after the original broke. I had some feed issues with most range ammo after replacing the spring but they worked themselves out after about 50 - 60 rounds with no more problems with another few hundred.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #4

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbutnotdead View Post
What's everyone using for range ammo? I some ideas were to start. I also was amazed how soft the Walther shot. It's going to get a lot of range time. Thanks, Matt
I am pleased but surprised to hear that the .380 shoots 'soft'. One of my objections to a long departed Interarms .380 was how unpleasant it was to shoot...every shot felt like smacking an iron bar on a rock. The 7.65 PPK/s and PP are very pleasant and soft shooting, but the straight blowback with the larger cartridge felt like the slide was smacking the frame.
Perhaps Smith has added a little mass to the slide, or a stronger recoil spring. Glad it's working out for you.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
These days, shoot whatever you can find ... and whatever the pistols will handle; each seems to be different, in my experience. What works in mine might not work in yours, and vice versa. That having been said, I've exellent luck with Winchester WB, Remington, Magtec, and American Eagle FMJ, in addition to a variety of hollow-point self-defense ammo, particularly Speer Gold Dots. The only stuff I wouldn't recommend is PMC Brass, which is without question the filthiest, dirtiest, nastiest ammo I've ever seen or tried. The trick these days is finding .380 ACP on any stripe.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #6

RickJZ Unproven
wwb 95 grain fmj truncated cone ammo is a good choice for practice at the range.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #7

halfmoonclip .22
The current dearth/cost of .380 ammo has led a bunch of us to reload it. We are blessed with a range officer at the club who is glad to cast for us, and we've scrounged up some brass.
With all the usual caveats about 'look up the data in a published source', etc,
we use 2.3 of Bullseye behind an 102 gr LTC for a modest velocity of 712 fps.
None of us currently has a .380 Walther, so I would be curious if the load works in anything but the LCPs we are feeding.
Moon
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJZ View Post
wwb 95 grain fmj truncated cone ammo is a good choice for practice at the range.
It's handy for carry ammo too...punches through heavy winter clothing without deforming. I carry a spare mag full every Winter...

Milspec
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
I am pleased but surprised to hear that the .380 shoots 'soft'. One of my objections to a long departed Interarms .380 was how unpleasant it was to shoot...every shot felt like smacking an iron bar on a rock. The 7.65 PPK/s and PP are very pleasant and soft shooting, but the straight blowback with the larger cartridge felt like the slide was smacking the frame.
Perhaps Smith has added a little mass to the slide, or a stronger recoil spring. Glad it's working out for you.
Moon
I had exactly the same reaction to that comment. "Soft" compared to WHAT? The PPK/s and PPK, in my opinion, have the nastiest recoil and muzzle blast of any pistols I have. The P99 in .40 is pleasant by comparison. I am quite tolerant of recoil --.45s with police loads don't bother me-- but those little squirts in .380 hurt my hands. Nill grips help tame the PPK with its smooth backstrap, but not much can be done with the PPK/s. After a magazine or two, I'm ready to put it away and turn to something gentle, like a 9mm Radom or a P5. The PP-series pistols make more sense, in my view, in .22LR.

It does not appear that S&W has added any mass to the slide, at least not intentionally (omitting the muzzle contouring cuts for economy probably leaves a little excess weight, but not much). And unless the slide is visibly banging the trigger guard buffer into the frame (peening a deep imprint that you can see), a stronger spring isn't going do a whole lot either to reduce felt recoil.

I guess maybe it's just what one is used to.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #10

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
I had exactly the same reaction to that comment. "Soft" compared to WHAT? The PPK/s and PPK, in my opinion, have the nastiest recoil and muzzle blast of any pistols I have.

I guess maybe it's just what one is used to.

M
MGM, that was, as noted, my experience with a previous gun. It may be that brokenbutnotdead indeed has a different frame of reference. Maybe shooting 600 nitro express howdah pistols...
Broken, if it's workin' for yah, great, but I put the .380 PPK right up there with Smith alloy framed, exposed hammer revolvers for just being no damn fun to shoot.
Moon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page

best 380 ammo for walther ppk s

best ammo for ppk/s

best ammo for walther ppk .380

best ammo for walther ppk 380

best ammo for walther ppk/s .380
best ammo for walther ppks

best ammo for walther ppks 380

walther ppk 380 ammo

walther ppk 380 ammunition

walther ppk ammo

walther ppk ammunition
walther ppks 380 ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.