WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #1

Silver-mine .22
PPK/S Night sights

Sponsored Links
Hello, new to the forum but I have to ask, does anyone have experience with installing/replacing the existing sights with night sights?
Silver-mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Banned

boomer .22
With all due respect, the Walthers Pistols were designed way before Night Sights ever captured the attention of recreational shooters.....
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-mine View Post
Hello, new to the forum but I have to ask, does anyone have experience with installing/replacing the existing sights with night sights?
Trijicon has offered tritium sights for the PPK/s and PPK for many years. The slide must be sent to their shop to have the front sight milled off and a dovetail cut in its place, then both front and rear are installed. It is very professionally done, and costs about $100, IIRC.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #4

Kurt_D .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Trijicon has offered tritium sights for the PPK/s and PPK for many years. The slide must be sent to their shop to have the front sight milled off and a dovetail cut in its place, then both front and rear are installed. It is very professionally done, and costs about $100, IIRC.

M
This begs the question...

How much of an impact on the historical and/or monetary value of the gun might this have? Not that a late-80's Interarms weapon would have the same significance as a 30's or 40's German gun or one by Manhurin .

I have an ulterior motive since I have a nagging problem with the contrast of the sights on my SS gun. The "gray" tone of both the front and rear sights, coupled with that little, tiny reddish-orange dot in the front sight, gives me sighting fits at the range. I have night sights on my Glock and have considerably less difficulty with them in quickly acquiring a sight picture.

I checked the Trijicon website and the only Walther model they list is the P99 with sights that look like so (which would be just fine for me):

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...6&categoryID=7

I'm guessing one would have to call them to get the details about fitting a PPK?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
How much of an impact on the historical and/or monetary value of the gun might this have?

...I have an ulterior motive since I have a nagging problem with the contrast of the sights on my SS gun. The "gray" tone of both the front and rear sights, coupled with that little, tiny reddish-orange dot in the front sight, gives me sighting fits at the range. ...
I have the same problem with the sights on my SS Walthers. I replace the rear with a blue one, and paint the front one: black dot instead of red.

I have one gun that was refitted by Trijicon. Very sharp job, unobtrusive, and if it's had any value impact at all, it has increased it. Not by enough to offset the cost, but it certainly hasn't hurt.

M
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Banned

boomer .22
Why put an ugly dress on a pretty woman. From experience, I can tell you that in a real gun fight, you are never going to even see the sights, never get two hands on the pistol to get into your Weaver Stance and second place sucks. You won't remember anything but the noise and it will take your mind weeks if not months to even process the information.

It will happen and be over in less than 8 seconds with a only few shots fired at a distance of no more than 10 feet. Just draw then push the weapon forward then point and shoot day or night. It really works that I can personally attest too.
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The question was: "does anyone have experience with installing/replacing the existing sights with night sights?"

If you can't respond to that, why are you posting?

M
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Supporting Member

uncut .22
Silver
What Mike said is correct... though I think it might cost a bit more....
There is a few companies that offer that work... and truth be told to me it would make a PPK or PPK/s made by Interarms worth more to me.....

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/
long wait with these guys.... but best work possible I think

tooltech is the other company... their link is broke.. but they are reccomended by Trijicon as isntaller and had offered the service before

Nothing but the best for the best
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #9

HenryJ .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_D View Post
... I have a nagging problem with the contrast of the sights on my SS gun. The "gray" tone of both the front and rear sights, coupled with that little, tiny reddish-orange dot in the front sight, gives me sighting fits at the range. I have night sights on my Glock and have considerably less difficulty with them in quickly acquiring a sight picture.
I know exactly how you feel. I am so accustomed to the easy acquisition that I have on my Beretta. Line up the three white dots and squeeze.
I found myself wasting precious time wondering where the sights were in the SS PPK/S? I know my eyes are not what they once were, but JEEZ! Those gray sights are all but invisible.

What I did to mine is chronicled in this thread: High Visibility Sights

These are not self illuminating. They do work well in very low light though. It is just amazing how much light the fiber optic rod can gather. In any sort of decent light they are bright little torches.
That was the best few dollars spent on my little PPK/S. It did nothing more than make it more comfortable for me. I am a creature of habit and I need to catch that front sight. I can now easily put green="go" on top of red and squeeze.
It conservatively cut my spread in half. I have not timed it, but I am sure the difference would also be noticeable.

I toyed with the idea of some "glow-in-the-dark" paint. Or maybe some plastic inserts. Those require charging to illuminate. Mine never sees light until it is out to be used. That means they would never get charged.
It could be as simple as was suggested in that other thread. Carefully drip some high vis paint into the front sight recess. Then maybe a carefully placed dot to each side of the notch on the rear.
The cost is nil and easy to correct if it doesn't work for you.
The hobby shop fiber optic rod met my needs and then some. Not for everyone though I suspect.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #10

Reddog .22
Very nice. Is this a sight made by some company, or fiber optic rod installed by the owner? If the latter, who did the millwork on the front sight? That's pretty nice. And how is the fiber optic being held in place? Epoxy? Any long term issues with this? This looks like a great set up for how mine is stored/used also. Please provide more info.
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
night sights for walther ppk
night sights for walther ppk/s
night sights walther ppk

ppk night sights

ppk sights
ppks sights

walther ppk night sights

walther ppk sights

walther ppk/s night sights

walther ppk/s sights

walther ppks night sights

walther ppks sights

Click on a term to search for related topics.