WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

thumbs .22
Honest accuracy PPK/S

Sponsored Links
I bought my new ppk/s in 86. Its an Interarms. What should I expect for accuracy with this pistol? For instance at 7 or 8 paces what kind of honest groups should I be getting standing off hand? Just wondering what I should consider pretty good groups.

thanks
thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #2

Silver-mine .22
Cool

I recently fired my PPK/s .380 at 18 yards, winchester fmj, using a hand rest, and obtained a 4" group twice. The gun will shoot better than that, I just have to get better. I have had no problems with mine and it's a smith. love it!
Silver-mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Reddog .22
I'm not a threat to compete in the Olympics, and my wife will generally shoot a little better, but from that distance I can cover the group with my hand, she with her palm under timed, competitive conditions. They only get an inch or so better for both when shooting for pure accuracy. That's us, with older guns..
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

Kurt_D .22
That depends on how good you are.

A friend of mine, who is good and I think should be competing, shot 5-round groupings of around 2" @ 25 yards after a couple of mags with my PPK/S. He did better (<1-1/2") with my Ruger w/ .22 LR. It has a 6-1/2" barrel and an 8" sight radius. He normally shoots/carries a Glock 23.

Me, I'm not so good with a pistol and get more like 4" groups at the same distance with the PPK/S. I hit around 3" with the Ruger and my Glock 17. I have trouble establishing a consistent sight picture with iron sights and the ones on the PPK/S give me more trouble than the other guns - it's a matter of contrast on the SS pistol. Put a scope or Laser on it and it's a different story.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #5

thumbs .22
I've owned this pistol since I bought it new in 1986. Never shot it much but decided to get it out and shoot it. I ask the question to determine what these things are capable of. I know I won't shoot anywhere near what they are capable of but would like to know if it's me or the pistol. Right now I'm kinda all over the place but I can keep them in a paper plate at 8 paces. I know that stinks for you guys but I just started shooting the thing. I am shooting standing off hand. I do know it seems to shoot low and to the left but right now I'm more interested in getting better groups. Four inch groups with the PPK/S seems fa nominal to me. That is just unreal. I'll be I couldn't hit the paper plate at all at 25 yards. If I could get consistant four inch groups at say 8 to 10 yards I would be happy. I am using reloads of 100gr round nose bullets using 3grs of Winchester 231. I have had no cycling problems with the round nose bullets so far.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Thumbs:

This is just a suggestion; it's worked for me for many years. I have concluded that the optimum range to practice with handguns is 50 feet. It's close enough to see the bullet holes as you make them (so you can verify each shot), but far enough away to challenge one's skill (at 7 yards even poor shooting looks good).

Take a sheet of colored 8.5x11 paper, cut it in half to 8.5x5.5. That's about the size of the vital area of a man's head. Staple it to a target backer and shoot with a two-hand hold, not fast but not slow either. Concentrate on the front sight and good trigger letoff. As quickly as you can, just hit the target somewhere with every shot; don't worry about "groups" -- the groups will take care of themselves. When you can put almost the entire magazine into the paper (a flier or two is not terribly important) in 10 seconds or less, you may regard yourself as being at least "competent" to defend yourself with that handgun.

From then on, it's just practice, lots of it.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #7

Malinki .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
From then on, it's just practice, lots of it.

M
Wax on, wax off, and you'll surprise yourself.
Malinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Thumbs: Perhaps some of the material in here

http://www.waltherforums.com/showthread.php?t=10388

would be useful to you?

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

thumbs .22
Thanks guys, I need all the help I can get. Really don't know of anyone that shoots pistol around here. I know there must be but I don't run into them. I am the first one to admit my shooting stinks to this point. My "aim" is to get much better. I guess, like anything else it's practice, practice, practice. I know you said 50' but what range should I start? Is 20 or 25' a good starting place then start moving back say 5' at a time? Also, may seem like a dumb question but I would guess you really don't use the sights that much. Is this true. I would imagine in a defensive situation it's pretty much point and shoot, well and educated point and shoot.
One last thing am I using a good S/D round, 100gr round nose bullet,3gr of Winchester 231? What kind of velocity am I looking for in the PPK/S for S/D? I think my fps may be a bit slow.

thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #10

Malinki .22
To start off with, I believe most advise 7 feet.

Also, just 'cause of our location and since you mentioned it...

Know how to get to Carnegie Hall?

Screw practice, get yinz on da Parkway an' make a left at Oakland an'at.

(It's a Pittsburgh thing, Carnegie Mellon University is just down the parkway in Oakland)
Malinki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
accuracy walther ppk 380

ppk accuracy

ppk/s accuracy

ppks accuracy

ppks acurracy ammo
walther pp accuracy
walther ppk .22 accuracy

walther ppk accuracy

walther ppk s accuracy

walther ppk/s .22 accuracy

walther ppk/s accuracy

walther ppks accuracy

Click on a term to search for related topics.