WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #1

karl1968 .22
My S+W PPK 380 report

Sponsored Links
I bought a used S+W PPK 380 ACP stainless, series: 404* BAD
The gun has fired around 250 rounds including mine.
I shot in it Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ and Sellier & Bellot FMJ round and 92 grs
round, including mine reloads: 3,5 grs of REX green (like the 450 Win or
Vitahuori N340) with Fiocchi JHP 90 gr ball.
The weapon was completely removed the factory grease, mag also, clean and lubricated with Break Free.
Now I still have some malfunction, only when I insert 6
cartridges in mag.
The slide does not close completely and the 4th cartridge impedes
the insertion of the 5th (half in), but when if I insert 5 cartridges ony in mag,
the gun work very well.
Your comments and opinions are welcome.

karl
karl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #2

XRing .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl1968 View Post
I bought a used S+W PPK 380 ACP stainless, series: 404* BAD
The gun has fired around 250 rounds including mine.
I shot in it Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ and Sellier & Bellot FMJ round and 92 grs
round, including mine reloads: 3,5 grs of REX green (like the 450 Win or
Vitahuori N340) with Fiocchi JHP 90 gr ball.
The weapon was completely removed the factory grease, mag also, clean and lubricated with Break Free.
Now I still have some malfunction, only when I insert 6
cartridges in mag.
The slide does not close completely and the 4th cartridge impedes
the insertion of the 5th (half in), but when if I insert 5 cartridges ony in mag,
the gun work very well.
Your comments and opinions are welcome.

karl
Karl,

I had similar problem my new post recall PPK/S. The hammer block plunger was too high, it protruded above the frame and caused the slide to slow down because the slide hit it. The slide would not have enough speed to cycle correctly , or to strip the cartride from the magazine. It also cause a failure to fully come to battery.
I contacted S&W warranty for Walther service and spoke with the gunsmith. I asked about the correct height adjustment for the hammer block plunger. The gunsmith said it should remain below the frame height. He sent me a warranty mailer and wrote up the work order.

Repairs:
The shop refitted my slide, smoothed the frame around the hammer block plunger, cheched the feed ramp and replaced the ejector bar. The paper work also said all measurements are back to specification.

I tested it out today at the range and worked very well. The trigger felt very good and the gun is very smooth. All feed and operation problems are gone.

Hope this helps.
XRing
XRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #3

Aaron244 .22
Can you describe the hammer block plunger? Where is it exactly on the frame? I'll have to check mine out, from your description it may have been causing the problems I was having. Still haven't gotten a chance to shoot since getting my weapon back from Maine.
Aaron244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #4

Aaron244 .22
Also, the slide on my PPK seems to move back and forth freely until it reaches a certain point that it contacts the hammer. When the hammer is cocked, I notice that the slide seems to ride up a bit on the hammer when it reaches all the way to the rear. Is this normal?
Aaron244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #5

Kurt_D .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron244 View Post
Can you describe the hammer block plunger? Where is it exactly on the frame?
It is in the small, round hole immediately behind the top, back edge of the magazine well. The hammer block plunger should be no higher than flush with the top, flat surface of the frame in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron244 View Post
Also, the slide on my PPK seems to move back and forth freely until it reaches a certain point that it contacts the hammer. When the hammer is cocked, I notice that the slide seems to ride up a bit on the hammer when it reaches all the way to the rear. Is this normal?
That is normal. It ensures that the underside of the slide rotates the hammer far enough back/down to have its tang clear the "latch" step on the cocking piece.

If you pull the hammer back by hand, you can feel it engage the step on the cocking piece. You'll notice that once that happens, the hammer rotates forward slightly, when pressure is released, after it is cocked.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #6

M_E_ .22
Why can't the factory build guns without these issues? Having worked in a mass production facility where we built engines for cars & trucks, it appears S&W has almost no quality control inspectors in their processes. It is very easy to make up go / no-go gauge that would end issues like this. There seems to be no final inspection process here either. It could be a part supplier issue (I understand the frames are cast by Ruger). Not that they build junk BUT no one seems to have a real handle on these issues. It will cost S&W a bunch of money to fix these issues. It could be that it's just cheaper to fix stuff instead of making it right the first time.

The German guns don't have such issues!

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #7

karl1968 .22
After your responses, including thank you, I disassembled the gun and saw
the slide when fully backward, the manual safety cylinder hits the hammer.
You also see by field strip: when refitting the weapon and run the cart forward, it snug slightly.
I do not think is normal and certainly slows the carriage return.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #8

karl1968 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl1968 View Post
After your responses, including thank you, I disassembled the gun and saw
the slide when fully backward, the manual safety cylinder hits the hammer.
You also see by field strip: when refitting the weapon and run the cart forward, it snug slightly.
I do not think is normal and certainly slows the carriage return.

But no, it 'normal as any other semi-automatic pistol.

I noticed that when you sort of jam because the bottom of
cartridge case in chamber, is not under, but in front of the extractor.
Today unmount everything and control.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #9

me109g4 .22
One wonders why S&W/Walther doesnt test fire a full clip through these things at the factory, its gotta be cheaper than paying shipping and labour to repair these things when the new owners get them, to say nothing of dragging Walthers good name through the mud. S&W should be firing people in Houlton for the crap job they are doing. JT
me109g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #10

karl1968 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_E_ View Post
Why can't the factory build guns without these issues? Having worked in a mass production facility where we built engines for cars & trucks, it appears S&W has almost no quality control inspectors in their processes. It is very easy to make up go / no-go gauge that would end issues like this. There seems to be no final inspection process here either. It could be a part supplier issue (I understand the frames are cast by Ruger). Not that they build junk BUT no one seems to have a real handle on these issues. It will cost S&W a bunch of money to fix these issues. It could be that it's just cheaper to fix stuff instead of making it right the first time.

The German guns don't have such issues!
Since I took my S & W PPK, I dismounted several times and I noticed the remarkable difference in materials and finish compared to German production.
I think S & W has two solutions:
- Since their PPK-PPK / s is almost entirely new cast, make best semi-finished (it's possible, even if the PP series is difficult to build), so that there are mounting have not many problems;
- Give up arms to final assembly, personnel highly qualified, for an adjustment made by hand.

It 's just my thought.
karl

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series

Search tags for this page
exploded view walther ppks
feeding throat walther ppk
ppk parts

ppk/s parts diagram

s&w ppk .380

throating a s&w ppks 380
walther ppk ejector

walther ppk extractor

walther ppk extractor pictures

walther ppk feed ramp

walther ppk slide

walther ppk?
Click on a term to search for related topics.