Would you trust the PK380 as a carry pistol? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #1

zanemoseley .22
Would you trust the PK380 as a carry pistol?

I'm really torn. My wife is not a great pistol shooter, she has issues with the recoil of a Glock 26 so I'm leaning toward a 380 for her carry pistol. I like several things about the PK380 however I've read several negatives about it including the fact it's made by Umarex not Walther technically.

So would you trust it as a carry pisrol for your wife?
zanemoseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 PM   #2

Darkstar888 .22

I would have to get one and put a few hundred rounds through it before trusting my life with it. I would seriously consider a PPS m2 in 9mm. It's compact enough for carry but handles recoil like a full size pistol and is a very soft shooter especially with standard pressure 124g rounds. It's a pistol you can trust your life with and a much better round than a .380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PPS1980 likes this.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #3

Zebra .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
she has issues with the recoil of a Glock 26 so I'm leaning toward a 380 for her carry pistol.
More likely, she has a problem with G26 grip and ergonomics, and without a proper grip she can't get an adequate recoil management. There are plenty of shooter friendly carry pistols in 9mm that would make a world of difference for her.

I suggest that you should take your spouse to the range where she could rent as many different firearms as possible and make a decision on what really works for her, instead of just handing her another pistol.
And to answer your question - no, Mrs. Zebra would not carry PK380, in fact she carries Walther PPS Classic 9mm and very happy with it.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #4

olstyn .22
I'd be much more inclined to trust something in 9mm, like the PPS, PPQ, P99, or P99c. Failing that, I'd be much more inclined to trust some of the other .380 options out there, like the G42 and/or the SIG mini-1911 .380 thing - P238 IIRC? The PK380 is too iffy on whether you get a good one or a bad one for my taste, and that's speaking as someone whose wife owns a PK380. It seemed like the best option at the time, but given the experience we've had with it, I really wish the G42 had existed back then.
Darkstar888 and grumpy247 like this.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #5

LadyShooter70 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
I'd be much more inclined to trust something in 9mm, like the PPS, PPQ, P99, or P99c. Failing that, I'd be much more inclined to trust some of the other .380 options out there, like the G42 and/or the SIG mini-1911 .380 thing - P238 IIRC? The PK380 is too iffy on whether you get a good one or a bad one for my taste, and that's speaking as someone whose wife owns a PK380. It seemed like the best option at the time, but given the experience we've had with it, I really wish the G42 had existed back then.
I have a SIG P238. It's a nice pistol, but here's the deal with it. It is supposed to be carried with a round in the chamber, cocked, and the safety locked like a 1911. This gets into people's comfort zones. I carry in Condition 1 because that's what it's designed for. In Condition 3 one might find themselves in a situation that requires performing a one-handed slide rack, so that's out. Condition 2? No ******* way - accidentally drop it and it could go bang - there is no half-cocked position or hammer block.

The P238 is best carried IWB, but regardless of where it is (from a tactical purse or belt pouch) it requires one to practice draw, flip safety off, acquire target, and fire drills. Over and over again until flipping that safety off becomes second nature. So this will depend on how much she is willing to practice.

But after hundreds of reps, I still occasionally miss on the safety which is why I bought the P99c AS. The double action trigger pull on the first shot acts sort of as a safety because you have to mean it. And the single action follow up is great.

The PPS would also be an excellent choice
. Failing this, if she feels the 6 lb trigger on the PPS is too touchy, I'd look at a Ruger LCR .357 magnum. Simple and it won't jam. It can also chamber .38 Special and .38 Special +P. Most bad guys are looking for a free meal, not a gunfight. The 38+P weighs 13.5 oz, the 357 weighs 17.1 oz. which might have less recoil. But both are still lighter than the SIG P238.
olstyn and Darkstar888 like this.
LadyShooter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

Darkstar888 .22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShooter70 View Post
I have a SIG P238. It's a nice pistol, but here's the deal with it. ...
I might pick up an LCR chambered in 9mm. That would be a pretty nice little get off me gun. And also would consider the little Sig but would again go 9mm with the P938.

Last edited by searcher451; 10-12-2016 at 10:51 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Darkstar888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

olstyn .22
Can't disagree much with any of what LadyShooter70 said. Individual preferences apply, of course (my wife has a significant dislike for revolvers, for example), but sound advice all around.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #8

Austin Powers .22
IMO, no firearm in existence should ever be fully trusted/relied upon until it has been tested and confirmed to be 100% functional.
So regardless of what you choose, make sure you take it out to the range before handing it off to a loved one.
PPS1980 likes this.
I've entrusted my life to a S&W PPK/S-1, it may not be able to stop the illusive 7ft/300Lbs+ Meth Head wearing 5 layers of denim and wielding a car door as a shield, but I'm fairly certain I can outrun such a beast, especially after dumping 7 rounds of .380 ACP into him.
Austin Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Supporting Member

PPS1980 .22
I tried one, and am obviously a Walther fan, but ended up with an LCP as my 380 option after having tried 6 other 380s at my range. Best combination of size, rounds, and reliability out of the bunch and it wasn't close. For pocket carry I don't think you're going to find a better combination of size, reliability, and support options out there.
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

comtedeloach .22
CZ 83. It's a touch heavier, which helps with them recoil. It has a excellent trigger, and will be more accurate than you can be. Ant it's 12 rnds. It's a fine .380 if not the best ever made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
comtedeloach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page

pk380 won't go into single action

Click on a term to search for related topics.