Failure to Extract - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

CGhelofxr .22
Failure to Extract

Hello to all, my first post here and don't want to start out fussin, just wondering about something.

I purchased a PK380 for my oldest daughter, thought it would be a good pistol for her, right now not so sure.

Took it to the range and spent most of the time clearing it due to failures to extract. Started doing web searches and found this to be a major issue, but the post seemed to be older.

Has Walther fixed this or am I looking at selling/trading this pistol and going back to just owning S&Ws.
CGhelofxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #2

myindians .22
Mine did the same. I had to send it to Walther to repair. I had it back in 2 and half weeks. It has been great ever since.
myindians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #3

PolishPPQfan .22
PK380 is a great "wife's pistol" once bugs are worked out. (sucks I have to say that.) I enjoy shooting it. and sometimes carry it myself.
My wife's PK380 had the same problem. On hers- just as the slide "meets" the hammer, coming back, it would shake the empty cartridge loose just before reaching the ejector.
Walther has a replacement extractor that's holds the empties better.
I shaved extractor stop down just a little on hers so it would hold empty cartridges better and took a little off hammer so slide passes over it smoother. Haven't had any problems since.
myindians likes this.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #4

CGhelofxr .22
Replaced extractor, spring and pin. Ran 50 rounds through it with no issues. I'm satisfied with the results.
PolishPPQfan and myindians like this.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

weaselfire .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGhelofxr View Post
Replaced extractor, spring and pin. Ran 50 rounds through it with no issues. I'm satisfied with the results.
Did you replace this or did you have to send it back to Walther? And where did you order parts (Walther, I assume)?

Thanks,

Jeff
weaselfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #6

CGhelofxr .22
Ordered the extractor, spring and pin from Walther, it took about 10 minuets to install. Send me an email address and I will send you the parts list for the entire gun.

Last edited by searcher451; 03-13-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Old 03-28-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

eeglespride .22
Jams like a boss

Morning everyone. Been a while since I posted. I own a PPX and a PPS and unfortunately a PK380. Bought it BNIB less than two months ago. Has jammed since day one. Sent it in too Walther in Arkansas for repairs, got it back in less than three days saying the extractor was replaced. Here's a couple of links to two short videos showing the results. This not intended as a bashing. Like I said I have my PPX and my wife runs the PPS (too slim for me). We love our Walthers. Its just that my 13 yr old daughter would like to fire something that doesn't have the recoil of a 454 casull. (her words) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQWxvOGs_Yg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moyOnRZP6xk

PPX 9MM
PPS 9MM
Ruger SuperBlackhawk 44 Magnum (wife's)
Remington 597 22lr rifle
PK380
P99AS
eeglespride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #8

RugerFan .22
PK380 Woes...

Just thought I'd post my experience with the PK 380. My wife picked this pistol up at a gun show. I was so happy she wanted to move up to a larger caliber from the Sig 1911-22 I had bought her. After 6 weeks and two trips back to Walther, took the new and improved PK380 to the range. 4 rounds of American Eagle and jammed, didnít get a free hat either like they promised 8^).
So I brought out my eclectic collection of 380 Auto (trying to find something that would cycle in it) ammunition and gave them a (frustrating) try. Mostly about the same, 3 or 4 rounds, then FTE. Oddly enough I got an entire mag of the Blazer aluminum case to cycle properly. I returned to the internet, found the Walther forums and registered. Started searching for PK380/preferred ammo and ran across several interesting posts. What I was hearing is that the PK380 is super finicky about ammo, particularly before the first 800-1000 (sheesh) rounds. Fiocchi 95 gain FMJ, seemed to be the ammo of choice and low and behold my local gun store had some of it in stock. We went back to the range and put 60 rounds through it with no failures to eject and just one lite primer strike. Walther has this pistol produced for them, obviously at a low price point, unfortunately this gun is ruining their reputation. Iíd certainly have rather spent more for the gun and got higher quality than $200 worth of ammo, most of which the thing can't handle. It's really a shame because it has a lot going for it, DA/SA, easy to rack slide, easy mag to load, very low recoil. What I fear is these are being sold to people, particularly women looking for self defense, sticking it in their nightstand and never shooting it. If they do need to use it in an emergency it may not function properly. It is a difficult gun to unjam, altho we've had so much practice we are getting better at it. I'm not ready to trust my wife's life to it, maybe, if it will handle some Hornady Critical Defence reliably.
RugerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

PolishPPQfan .22
It is sad the problems people have with the PK380. I took a elderly lady with small hands to shoot several different firearms for her home defense weapon yesterday from 38 S&W "snubby" to my PPQ. (I suggested a 410 shot gun or AR )
She quickly took to my wife's PK380 with its ease in "racking" sliding and trigger pull and nice groups.
She went and purchased a new one today. I sure hope it is a good one.

Last edited by PolishPPQfan; 03-29-2015 at 01:40 PM.
PolishPPQfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's the problem with Umarex/Walther products these days: Some of them work, and some of them don't, and that's not a good formula for success. The folks who get a good one are happy as clams, and those who don't tend to let folks know. Sadly, these days, Umarex/Walther remains silent on the issues with this pistol, with the P22, the CCP, etc. It's not a good way to run a railroad, or an airline, or a gun company.
Que and Zebra like this.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page

how to reduce trigger pull on pk380

walther pk380 failure to extract

Click on a term to search for related topics.