Failure to Extract - Page 6 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #51

DanDelaware .22
Hi, new member here. I recently purchased a new PK380 for my wife because it fits her hand better than anything else we tried - she has very small hands. Right out of the box, it shot like junk. The very first round went OK but it failed to fire on the second round. We sent the pistol back to Walther and they informed us that they had a bad batch of extractors. Judging from the length of this thread, it's not the first time this has happened. The rep at Walther said they have about 60 pistols waiting on new extractors from Germany. They've had the pistol for two weeks and they estimate another 3-4 weeks before I get it back.

Obviously I'm very disappointed and my wife (who's better it than I am) made our disappointment clear to the Walter rep and the gun shop too. This pistol has going to have to show some rock-solid reliability before I'll trust it to protect my wife.

Here are some of the symptoms we witnessed:

- Most commonly: failure to chamber the round fully, resulting in the pistol failing to go fully into battery.
- In some instances, pulling the trigger 1-3 more times would get the pistol to fire. I assume the inertia imparted by the hammer caused the round to chamber, but I'm not pistol-smith.
- Stovepipe jams about 2 to 3 times per 100 rounds.
- Always failed to chamber the last round in the magazine.
- The best string I ever shot was four rounds without jamming.
DanDelaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #52
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Yup. No surprise there, Dan, though thanks for the update on the delay from Germany. We've seen that before as well.

Walther makes many fine pistols. The PK380 is not among them, in my view, even when it works. It's a low-end model at best. You might want to consider upgrading to a PPS or, top-of-the-line, a P99C. You can't do better than that.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #53

DanDelaware .22
Finally got the PK380 back from the armory. They had it for almost two months! They replaced the extractor, firing pin, and slide. We took it to the range yesterday and put about 75 rounds through it with one stovepipe jam, which may well have been my inexperienced wife limp-wristing it.
DanDelaware is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #54

BTBFlyboy .22
Been a long time since I've made any comments on this forum but thought I would give an update on my FTE experiences with my PK380.
My particular PK380 is Ulm made, has a sn# outside the recall range, no trigger lock and a BB date code (2011) though the test fire cartridge is dated 12-12-12.
I've put several hundred rounds through my PK380 over the last year and the only FTE problems I've had are with reloads (from a well known and very reputable company).
The gun works just fine with any variety box ammunition I've tried (no FTE's or other issues) so I've concluded it's just doesn't like reloads.
Otherwise my PK380 has been reliable, accurate and trouble free.
BTBFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #55

Greenleaf4902 .22
Modifying the pivot point on the extractor has resulted in reliable extraction. Still contending with light hammer strikes (one in 20 or so)

I was advised to adjust the firing pin stop (threaded plug) to afford a better strike by the hammer. I looked at this and ran out of time to adjust and so I continue to modify and tweak in search of reliability.
Greenleaf4902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #56

AR1911 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDelaware View Post

Here are some of the symptoms we witnessed:

- Most commonly: failure to chamber the round fully, resulting in the pistol failing to go fully into battery.
- In some instances, pulling the trigger 1-3 more times would get the pistol to fire. I assume the inertia imparted by the hammer caused the round to chamber, but I'm not pistol-smith.
Sounds to me like your pistol is capable of firing out of battery?

You should be very thankful it did not fire!

I am going to have to experiment with mine a bit (not with live rounds)
AR1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #57
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
It's such a POS: a Taurus wearing a Banner facemask.

The minute you can afford something better, get rid of it.

Earnest advice (having owned three Tauruses). Slow learner, but never --ever-- again.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 04-17-2017 at 09:10 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page

how to reduce trigger pull on pk380

walther pk380 failure to extract

Click on a term to search for related topics.