WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Wheels .22
Newbie considering a PK380

Sponsored Links
Hello all
New member here. I am considering purchasing a PK380 for my CCW. I am dissabled and have limited hand strength and reviews of this handgun sound promising for me. I have fired lots of revolvers but have always had trouble with double action trigger pulls so have always shot single action. I have a 1911 I can shoot but it's a beast. I like the thought of the easy to operate slide and external hammer to put the PK380 into single action mode, and light recoil of 380. I had myself all convinced to buy one until I saw the issue with the recall and scarce magazines. Any advice from the PK380 owners would be appriciated.
Clay
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #2

marcus58 .22
I owned a PK and had to return it twice for repair. Walther,(Smith and Wesson) sent me a new PPS as a replacement. I like the PPS much better. However, if you really want the .380, there are a few things you should check. There is a recall on certain serial numbers for a saftey issue. Mine had a defective slide stop. Also, my PK had a tolerance issue that caused the slide to strike the internal frame rib. All of this being said most people seem to be happy with the pistol. Check it thoroughly and if there is a problem return it immediately. Walther will take care of you. I forgot to add this, I did like the PK. It is very accurate. The slide is butter smooth. I just could not refuse Walther's offer of an upgrade. Good luck.

PPSŪ - Walther America

Last edited by marcus58; 01-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.
marcus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #3

BowHuntingFool .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Hello all
New member here. I am considering purchasing a PK380 for my CCW. I am dissabled and have limited hand strength and reviews of this handgun sound promising for me. I have fired lots of revolvers but have always had trouble with double action trigger pulls so have always shot single action. I have a 1911 I can shoot but it's a beast. I like the thought of the easy to operate slide and external hammer to put the PK380 into single action mode, and light recoil of 380. I had myself all convinced to buy one until I saw the issue with the recall and scarce magazines. Any advice from the PK380 owners would be appriciated.
Clay

I have done some pretty extensive research on the PK380. I have found that people that have had problems will continue to dislike the gun, no matter what. I also have found a lot more PK gun owners with not a single problem right out of the box and speak nothing but good of it. My ONLY issue was that I had a little trouble finding a PK that didn't fall into the recall or already had been fixed. Recall turn around time is 10 weeks. I found a couple that had been fixed and bought one without a doubt for a great deal, cheaper then anywhere else I was looking, kind of a great deal! Great guns that just fit my hand like a glove! I'm also not scared about the .380 caliber, accuracy is top notch in any situation which the PK provides! I bought one!
BowHuntingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

Wheels .22
Thanks people
We have a FFL so I am going to call my wholesaler tomorow and see what they have and check on mags. I just looked on ebay and they are realy gouging on the magazines. 69.99 buy it now.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

BowHuntingFool .22
Yeah when I was waiting on paperwork at my local gun shop, I was wandering around lookin at stuff, and BAM!.....2 brand new factory mags for $32 each! Besides finding the gun cheaper then anywhere else I could find it this just topped it off!
BowHuntingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

table42 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I am dissabled and have limited hand strength
Clay
Although the slide is easy to cycle, just cocking the hammer could be a little tedious with limited hand strength. The spur is adequate but only YOU can know for sure. And the double action trigger pull is quite heavy. For concealed carry, you could go cocked and locked (safety ON), the weapon does give this option. It is difficult for the rest of us to imagine the limitations you might have.

But this weapon does attract a lot of female shooters.

Just say'in...........

Last edited by table42; 01-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.
table42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Wheels .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by table42 View Post
Although the slide is easy to cycle, just cocking the hammer could be a little tedious with limited hand strength. The spur is adequate but only YOU can know for sure. And the double action trigger pull is quite heavy. For concealed carry, you could go cocked and locked (safety ON), the weapon does give this option. It is difficult for the rest of us to imagine the limitations you might have.

Just say'in...........
I don't have a problem hammer cocking a 1911 with ring hammer, Taurus PT92, or double action revolvers. I have shot a 1911 but wouldn't want to carry one or deal with the recoil. I think I could handle a 9mm but have never shot a lightweight. I used to shoot a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44sp but I handloaded light loads and always shot single action. Where I live there are no ranges where I can go to rent and try. So, I am going to listen to all your opinions and try to make a decision based on knowledge gained, and I thank all of you for trying to help. At this point I am pretty sure I can handle the gun, and it boils down to reliability, and availability of the gun and magazines
Old 01-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #8

Maxpower .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by table42 View Post

Just say'in...........
I just bought one yesterday, it is for me, but I did have my wife in mind to shoot it, she didn't like my .357 mag.
Maxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #9

Sinster .22
Wheels are you a super fan?
Sinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #10

Scouts10 .22
Have you looked at:
PPK/s .380, Da/Sa, slimmer and smaller than PK380, easy shooter!
Weight is a bit more, its all steel.
S&W Shield 9mm
S&W K frame .38spl
Browning Buckmark Plus .22
Radom 9mm (1938)
Davis Derringer .38spl
(the original Saturday Night Special Company)
Scouts10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page
walther 9k .380

walther 9k 380

walther pk380 for female shooter
Click on a term to search for related topics.