WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

NYCity2theSouth .22
Proper cleaning and lubrication of PK380

Sponsored Links
Until the June 2012 purchase of my PK380, I have only owned revolvers. I had some major FTE issues immediately, and S & W quickly repaired it...to some degree. I still have some FTEs, but at least I can occasionally get through an 8-shot clip. I clean my revolvers with Hoppe's #9, blasts of CLR, and Rem oil. But obviously a semi-auto is a different animal with a much more complicated action. So, do I use the same cleaning and lubricating products, or is there something else, such as a grease? And which parts get lubricated? And can better lubrication help with the FTE problem? Thanks to all who will respond!
NYCity2theSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

dkuhn11 .22
There is most likely no wrong answer for lubes and cleaners for a semi-auto handgun, with the exception of making sure that whatever you use is polymer safe. There are some products that can damage the polymer parts of your gun. Your users manual should give you info on what and where to clean and lube. There is any number of videos on youtube about how to clean and lube your semi-auto, some may even know what they are talking about, but you'll get the idea.

I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic safe high pressure spray on the body and action of my guns. The barrell gets a cleaning with Hoppes No.9, and I use Shooter's Choice FP-10 for lube. I pay particular attention to the feed ramp, extractor and bolt face around the firing pin.

I had fte issues with the first 65 rounds also, but that has improved significantly as the rounds are now over 250. Have you tried different ammo to see if your gun likes/dislikes particular brands?
dkuhn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

redtop .22
barrel fouling

has anybody used J-B bore cleaner? i use hoppe's but it only removes powder residue, not metal fouling. J-B is supposed to remove all of the above. and, what's the best way to clean the internals without dissassembly?
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

marcus58 .22
hoppes no9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuhn11 View Post
There is most likely no wrong answer for lubes and cleaners for a semi-auto handgun, with the exception of making sure that whatever you use is polymer safe. There are some products that can damage the polymer parts of your gun. Your users manual should give you info on what and where to clean and lube. There is any number of videos on youtube about how to clean and lube your semi-auto, some may even know what they are talking about, but you'll get the idea.

I use Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic safe high pressure spray on the body and action of my guns. The barrell gets a cleaning with Hoppes No.9, and I use Shooter's Choice FP-10 for lube. I pay particular attention to the feed ramp, extractor and bolt face around the firing pin.

I had fte issues with the first 65 rounds also, but that has improved significantly as the rounds are now over 250. Have you tried different ammo to see if your gun likes/dislikes particular brands?
Is hoppes no 9 safe for polymers? I've been using on a toothbrush to clean the slides and break free for lube.
marcus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

ultraman702 .22
I've only had my Walthers since May of this year...P99, PK380 and a P22. I haven't had any problems with Hoppes #9. Works fine on the slides; I usually use cleaning patches moistened with Hoppes #9 and Q-Tips on the polymer pieces.

I just added a G22 rifle to my collection and will be giving it a good cleaning soon. I'm pretty confident it will be okay with Hoppes.
ultraman702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

marcus58 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman702 View Post
I've only had my Walthers since May of this year...P99, PK380 and a P22. I haven't had any problems with Hoppes #9. Works fine on the slides; I usually use cleaning patches moistened with Hoppes #9 and Q-Tips on the polymer pieces.

I just added a G22 rifle to my collection and will be giving it a good cleaning soon. I'm pretty confident it will be okay with Hoppes.
Where's your PPQ?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

ultraman702 .22
Marcus58 - funny you should ask.

I just purchased a first-gen P99 from GunBroker...should be delivered to my FFL this week. I'm pretty anxious to pick it up. My current P99 is a second-gen 'QA'. I enjoy shooting it, but I think the first-gen will be my new favorite.

I've been checkin out the PPQ lately. I think in the next few months, I'll add one to the collection. It gets a lot of positive reviews so I think it's only a matter of time before I get one.
ultraman702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

marcus58 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman702 View Post
Marcus58 - funny you should ask.

I just purchased a first-gen P99 from GunBroker...should be delivered to my FFL this week. I'm pretty anxious to pick it up. My current P99 is a second-gen 'QA'. I enjoy shooting it, but I think the first-gen will be my new favorite.

I've been checkin out the PPQ lately. I think in the next few months, I'll add one to the collection. It gets a lot of positive reviews so I think it's only a matter of time before I get one.
You'll love it.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

eddbrowne .22
If you get oil or grease on a firing pin, or in a fp channel, wipe it off completely.
I had a light-strike in a KTp32 purely due to light oil on the fp.
Wiped it off, same round fired, and no more light-strikes.

The PK380 is a special case.
I tried to remove the pipe-thread collar that holds in
the firing pin, and it would not budge. (stripped the slot)

So I drizzle bore cleaner or Very Light oil, like TriFlow, from
hammer end to breech end, and fish a lint-free dental-gap
brush around from the breech end while holding that end down.

Then I drizzle again, exercise the fp, and let the fp breech port rest on a rag for a while.
The feel from pushing the fp is not a good test.
At high speed, drag from oil spikes.
eddbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #10

redtop .22
9/16 post

hello, eddbrowne, i do not get the third paragraph about the dental gap brush and the firingpin. maybe we're slow here in Mass. thank you.
redtop is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page
clean pk380

cleaning a walther pk380

cleaning pk380

cleaning walther pk380

how to clean a pk380
how to clean a walther pk 380

how to clean a walther pk380

how to clean walther pk380

pk380 cleaning

walther pk380 cleaning

walther pk380 cleaning instructions
walther pk380 cleaning video
Click on a term to search for related topics.