LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #21

40khammer .22
Sponsored Links
40khammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #22

eddbrowne .22
The "tnoutdoors9" backyard test setup was:
4 layers denim, then plastic milk jugs filled with crumpled wet newsprint.
I don't recall a test media like that; and is seems unlikely to help expansion.
"Wetpaks" have no plastic, and are somewhat standardized, and very dense.

FBI Test No. 2: Heavy clothing before gelatin block (controlled to spec).
Heavy clothing used :
one layer cotton shirt (48 tpi) + one layer cotton shirt (80 tpi)
+ one layer Polartec 200 fleece (50 tpi) + one layer 13-oz. cotton denim (50 tpi)
[no added plastic]

I don't know if the FBI had filling of any hollow points, but they issued a
contract totaling $54M based around the PDX1, even after testing Hornady FTX.
The FTX is a good option, but the feds bet their agents' lives on the Winchester.
eddbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #23

mjoplin .22
Update on USA Ammo Issue

Follow Up - I had posted a similar review on USA Ammo's site. I received emails and a call from their management, offering two new replacement boxes of ammo and requesting any ammo remaining from my order for pressure testing. Very impressed with their customer service. Had a great chat with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoplin View Post
Have been running WWB in the pk380 with no problems at all. Tried a couple of boxes of USA Ammo 380. It was marketed as new, not reloads.

Had 6 failure to feeds due to ejection issues with the expended round. Range time was over with the last round shot only pulled out about a quarter inch from the chamber and stuck.

Popped it out later with a wooden dowel while cleaning the pistol after the range trip. The brass was expanded in an oblong shape with a dent in the side from the extractor. They used Blazer brass.

Sticking with WWB or S&B in the future as we have had zero issues with either. Wasn't impressed with USA when it arrived loose in the 50 round boxes with no inner dividers separating the cartridges.
mjoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #24

Sergeant .22
Shoot mostly reloads in mine, 95gr FMJ for practice, variety of hollow points (wolf, Remington, Fiocchi), no problems with any. Seems to group better with the 95 FMJ over the 90 or 100gr. I like the Fiocchi 90gr JHP for carry.
Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #25

ns66 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40khammer View Post
I've put 500 rounds of Fiocchi FMJs through mine with absolutely no issues. They're cheap and reliable.
thanks, I did some search online and I buy the idea since .380 is weak round so even for self defense it may be better to use FMJ, fiocchi seems to have higher power than WWB or Remington FMJ: Muzzle Energy :215 ft lbs, Muzzle Velocity :1010 fps.

Last edited by ns66; 07-19-2011 at 07:59 PM.
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #26

nhopper .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
thanks, I did some search online and I buy the idea since .380 is weak round so even for self defense it may be better to use FMJ, fiocchi seems to have higher power than WWB or Remington FMJ: Muzzle Energy :215 ft lbs, Muzzle Velocity :1010 fps.
The concept of "FMJ is what you need because the 380 sucks" is false, but often repeated. If you think 380 is too weak and you must use a poorly designed round for SD (FMJ) then you shouldn't be carrying a 380. You should step up to a 9mm which is essentially the same size as a 380 but offers significantly better performance.

If you are worried about performance, go with the Speer Gold Dots. If you want feeding reliability, you will find good luck with the Remington 88 grain JHPs. I have shot many of them and never had an issue with them. They are accurate and cheap.

FMJ exists for three reasons: feeding well in automatic weapons, cheap, and easy to make. It is not a self defense round.
nhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #27

DMC02766 .22
I shot the Federal rounds in the blue box from walmart first time I took it out and it jammed about every 4th round. I then tried the Fiocchi FMJ's and havent had the first issue out of them. This gun has had less than 150 rounds through it so far and been thoroughly cleaned so it is still going through the break in process. While I was shooting the Fiocchi's I tried to run a magazine of Wolf Copper FMJ's through it and it jammed every single time to the point it had to be manually ejected.

In short on my new gun-

Federal Blue box (walmart)- Jams fairly frequently
Fiocchi FMJ's- No jams whatsoever
Wolf Copper FMJ's- Jams every single time.

I think with a little wear the federals might be ok but we will see.
DMC02766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #28

7mary3 .22
FWIW I have run 500 rounds of fiocchi FMJ through my PK with no issues. I've run 100 rounds of fiocchi hp blue box with no issues.

WWB has had two FTF.

I just stick with what works in the gun. Fiocchi for the range and hornady critical defense for social work.

EDIT--- I put another 250 rounds of Fiocchi fmj through the PK today and had no issues at all. I've actually never had issues with Fiocchi ammo in any of my pistols, but it seems as though WWB has caused some issue or another, even in my most reliable guns. Sometimes it's only accuracy, other times it's function. Fiocchi though... it works for me. Give it a go in your PK380. If the gun itself is functional, the ammo should work beautifully.

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself..." -Samuel Clemens

Last edited by 7mary3; 09-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.
7mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #29

Dave123 .22
I have a new pk 380

I have put 100 round of wwb through it and had no failure to fire but several jams. I put 41 rounds of monarch fmj no jams but every mag. had one failure to fire. Is this normal for a new gun?
Dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #30

7mary3 .22
I'd like to know what kind of jams you're getting (stovepipes etc) but lacking that info for now I will forge ahead.

It sounds like your failure to fire might be a failure to return to battery. Try running fiocchi through the gun and see if that makes a difference. It should feed much more reliably than wwb, thereby eliminating the jamming issue. It's "hotter" than a lot of other bulk target style ammo, which may help with the failure to return to battery.

Let us know if that works, and perhaps give a little more info about the exact nature of the jamming. It may be an ammo issue, but being a PK380 it could very easily an issue with the gun. More rounds (info) are needed to tell.

"Suppose you were an idiot. Suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself..." -Samuel Clemens

Last edited by 7mary3; 09-11-2011 at 11:27 PM.
7mary3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page
ammo for walther pk380

best ammo for pk380

best ammo for walther pk380

best ammunition for walther pk380
pk 380 ammo

pk380 ammo

pk380 ammunition
recommended ammo for walther pk380

walther pk380 ammo

walther pk380 ammunition
walther pk380 jamming

walther pk380 recommended ammo

Click on a term to search for related topics.