WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #1

ryancleg .22
Slide Auto Releasing with Loaded Clip

Sponsored Links
So today I purchased a new PK380 to go with my P22 that I've had 1300 rds through and absolutely love. The first time I loaded it up I had it on safety with the slide back and no magazine loaded. When the magazine was inserted into the pistol the slide automatically released (without me racking it back) and loaded the first round.

I thought this was pretty neat but completely unexpected. I was able to reproduce it a second time directly after, but then every time since then it has not done this and I have to rack the slide back to release it. From what I understand the slide should not automatically release with a full clip. I've tried loading with the first round not all the way in, and that didn't reproduce it either.

Does anybody have any insight or information on this? I could use a little help with this issue, as I don't want something unexpected like that happening in the field.
ryancleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 AM   #2

Malinki .22
Well then don't put a clip where a magazine is supposed to go

Can't say that's ever happened to ours, though.
Malinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #3

bigfatdave .38
It happens with my p22 when I put a magazine in forcefully, but not reliably. I don't know what kind of clip goes into a pk380, is it a stripper clip or an en-bloc type?

The slide release can happen with many auto-pistols, what is occurring is that when you slap in a magazine the little latch that holds the slide open will be jarred out of the cutout on the slide, it will happen more often when that latching mechanism is just barely engaging (worn out mag), or is itself worn out (over-use of the slide lock as a slide release), or is just a minimal design (some mouseguns, my p22)
It isn't a feature, and it won't always load a round properly, and you shouldn't ever rely on it. To prevent it, all I can think of is to make sure your empty magazines are fully raising the slide stop lever and to make sure the lever and slide cutout are clean, square, and minimally lubed.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #4

ryancleg .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
It happens with my p22 when I put a magazine in forcefully, but not reliably. I don't know what kind of clip goes into a pk380, is it a stripper clip or an en-bloc type?

The slide release can happen with many auto-pistols, what is occurring is that when you slap in a magazine the little latch that holds the slide open will be jarred out of the cutout on the slide, it will happen more often when that latching mechanism is just barely engaging (worn out mag), or is itself worn out (over-use of the slide lock as a slide release), or is just a minimal design (some mouseguns, my p22)
It isn't a feature, and it won't always load a round properly, and you shouldn't ever rely on it. To prevent it, all I can think of is to make sure your empty magazines are fully raising the slide stop lever and to make sure the lever and slide cutout are clean, square, and minimally lubed.
Thank you for the informative reply. After a few minutes of messing around with it I can confirm that that is exactly what is happening. Its just a simple case of the slide release latch is being jarred loose when a mag is inserted with force. I also discovered that the slide latch will also disengage without a mag at all, all you need to do is hit the bottom of the grip with some force and it will release the slide.

Is this of any real concern or danger? Now that I know exactly why it did that I'm not worried about it like I was, but it still seems strange.

Could there be any modifications that could help to prevent this? Thanks for the help!
ryancleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #5

bigfatdave .38
Quote:
Is this of any real concern or danger?
Meh, nothing to panic over. Can you get a good look at the slide latch contact points when you lock the gun open on an empty mag? If the latch isn't fully into the notch, or if it isn't making full contact for some reason, it might require a parts swap you probably don't want to undertake. If it simply isn't fully raised by the magazine spring, you could check your mags for proper follower shape or stick some stronger springs in the magazines.

I'm not sure if there are pk380 mag springs on the market yet, and I know weakening the mag latch's return spring might help if the mag spring isn't lifting it enough, but I wouldn't ever advocate weakening that spring, you could end up with the slide latching open on recoil when there is still ammo in the mag.

Things NOT to do - (you probably figured these out, this is as much for a future searching member as much as for you)
Don't stop slapping that mag in forcefully, it needs to be fullt locked in
Don't panic and send it in for warranty work without further research
Don't ever count on the feature, if it does close when a mag is inserted, a press check or LCI peek would be in order

Things to do for free -
DO see if it happens more with one mag than the other (this would be the REMOVED mag, not the fresh one)
DO get more mags if you only have one, with only one mag you might as well have a revolver
DO number/letter/whatever your magazines to ID them for failures
DO get in there and clean any crud from the slide latch, then apply some extremely light lube or dry lube to the moving parts
Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #6

JerForceOne .22
Same issue

I noticed the same issue last Sunday. It was the first time i fired it. I wasn't expecting it so it caught me off guard a little.

Not a big deal so i just went with it. I did however notice a problem over time. At least 3 times (i fired 124 rounds through it that day) the 2nd round did not load.

To be clear, the slide was back, i reloaded the empty clip. Slapped it in. The slide automatically came forward, loading the first round. I fired. The cartridge ejected fine and the slide came back forward but it did not load the 2nd round. I didn't notice until i pulled the trigger and just heard a click. This happened 3 times.

My fix was to eject the empty clip, pull back and let the slide come forward. Reload the clip, slap it in, then pull the slide back and load the 1st round. After that it worked fine.

I went back to the range today. As long as I have the slide forward when i load the full clip and then chamber a round i have no failures to load.

Just thought i'd share that.
JerForceOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page
how do you remove the clip from walther p22
how to get the clip out of a walther 22 pistol
how to release clip on walther 380
how to release the clip on a wather pk380

how to remove clip from walther p22

how to take clip out of walther 380

how to use then walther pk 380 magazine release
pk 380 clip release
pk380 clip
problem remove walther cp99 clip
slide release walther pk380

walther pk380 slide release

Click on a term to search for related topics.