WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Chadtoolio .22
Alternative take down tool

Sponsored Links
I tried this today and it worked fine with no marring. A tire schrader valve tool worked great for putting this gun into "takedown" position.

Here is a link to a pic of one for reference.

http://www.foxtoolsupply.com/cart/P3190060.JPG
tkdronin likes this.
Chadtoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #2

tmcblane .22
Interesting I will have to try that. Mine is a pain to get it to turn even with the right tool
tmcblane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
I dropped a little CLP into the hole and around the takedown lever, and things greatly improved in a big hurry. It was a bit on the sticky side before that. It helped my gun, at least, and might be worth a try on yours.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Chadtoolio .22
Mine seems to work ok, cleaned it today for the first time. I was just looking into an alternative to having a factory tool not on hand. Next thing for takedown might be a recoil spring guide....
Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #5

tmcblane .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
I dropped a little CLP into the hole and around the takedown lever, and things greatly improved in a big hurry. It was a bit on the sticky side before that. It helped my gun, at least, and might be worth a try on yours.
Thanks, I will try that. I just finished taking it apart, this time it turned with no problems but couldnt get it to turn back. So I went to the next step and knocked out the roll pins and took the action out of the frame. There is a tiny j spring that fits in the bottom, I am not sure its purpose but the locking pin turns easily when that is part way out. Messing with the action on the bench there is a notable click by pushing in on the pin and then it will rotate easily. Not sure what any of this means but I put it all back together and the pin turned back to lock easily. Once you get it apart there is pin about 3/8" long that keeps the u clip from coming out of the frame, I have a suspicion that has some doing with my issues and others as far as getting the u clip to pull down to unlock.

On another mater in a previous thread about barrel wear, mine shows some scratching and some preliminary scoring on the underside of the slide where it slides over the breech on the barrel. I gun slicked it all down and will see if it halts after a while. I only have about 300 rounds thru the gun so far.
tmcblane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Supporting Member

Bluesman .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadtoolio View Post
I tried this today and it worked fine with no marring. A tire schrader valve tool worked great for putting this gun into "takedown" position.

Here is a link to a pic of one for reference.

http://www.foxtoolsupply.com/cart/P3190060.JPG
Now THAT is an elegant solution to the key issue! Good work!

I'd been trying to arrive at the best thing to make a few of 'em out of but your solution is ideal. Takedown keys that you can buy at an auto parts store!

Way cool.....

Bluesman
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
It may be an elegant solution, Bluesman, but the greater mystery is that it's required at all.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 12-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #8

Chadtoolio .22
Quote:
It may be an elegant solution, Bluesman, but the greater mystery is that it's required at all.
I agree, my XD9-SC is a snap to take down and clean. How about adding slide that engages the take down lever on the two grooves. Or, It could be a device that attaches to the front rail that has two fingers that come out and stop underneath the take down lever, that way the gun wouldn't be any wider.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Bluesman .22
Quote:
I agree completely!

Requiring a separate tool to field strip a gun is absurd. Why in the world would they do that?!?!? Surely they'll have a rethink and add a lever in some later version.

I really would be interested in knowing their intention with the whole key thing.....

Bluesman
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Umarex isn't alone. Don't some of the current revolvers on the market require some sort of key to render them unfireable, should they fall into the hands of someone ill-equipped to handle them: a child, for instance? Taurus comes to mind. Still, that's a sight different from what Umarex is doing with this model. The backstrap on the PPS is odd enough. If you consider the elegance of the takedown mechanism for, say, the P99 and then compare it to the PK380, you have to wonder ... just what in the wide, wide world of sports they were thinking about. Again.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PK380

Search tags for this page
pk380 takedown tool
walther pk380 breakdown tool
walther pk380 disassembly tool
walther pk380 key
walther pk380 replacement key
walther pk380 take down key
walther pk380 take down tool

walther pk380 takedown key

walther pk380 takedown key for sale
walther pk380 takedown key replacement

walther pk380 takedown tool

walther pk380 tool
Click on a term to search for related topics.