WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #1

rchandler .22
New P99c Owner

Hello,

I've emailed Walther CS but haven't heard back yet. Wondering what the community thinks.

I just bought a P99c and took it out last week for the first time. Ran 20 rounds of cheap 115g JHP and about every round the SA trigger wouldn't fire it, but if I pulled it again, the DA trigger would. Switched to 115g FMJ and white it would fire every time in SA, about every third round would stovepipe. Very frustrated. Didn't lube it at all.

Took it home, cleaned and lubed it well and picked up some 124g JHP and FMJ ammo of better quality. I only ran 20 rounds of the JHP without an issue. Switched to the FMJ and got about 120 rounds through it without issue then it started doing the SA wouldn't fire, DA would issue.

Any idea what might be going on here? FYI, I have a PPQ and I've got close to 1000 rounds through it without the first failure.

Thank you!
Rick
rchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-03-2017, 03:02 AM   #2

Jay90g60 .22
There is a thread like this in the forum ( it was about my gun). If you can look at the video and strip the slide down remove the extractor and clean and lube it. It may have gunk in that area. Then go out and shoot a bunch more. See if that fixes it.
J
Jay90g60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Rick, its REALLY hard to diagnose these problems via long distance. Let me just throw this out there. I have a hunch that what may be happening is this. You're firing along and all of a sudden you pull the trigger (in SA mode) and the pistol doesn't fire....so, maybe you take a look at the gun (or not), then you simply pull the trigger again, cuz, the trigger is in DA mode now, and the round fires. Is that anywhere close to what's happening?

If so, here's a theory. When you had the 'click, no bang' the slide was actually about a 1/8" out of battery (you hadn't noticed this, because you were just shooting one after another). So, when you pulled the trigger, with the slide out of battery, the trigger released the striker, which zinged forward at the speed of light, reaching its forward limit with a thud and a jar, which immediately jarred the slide that last 1/8" into battery. Now, if you looked at your gun, you see that everything looks normal...slide fully forward. If you ejected the round that was in the chamber and inspected the primer, you'd either find a very faint dent or NO dent in the primmer. Again, NO dent or light strike can happen with the slide slightly out of battery.

Sometimes these P99C's are a little tight and just need some breaking in. What I described in the paragraph above, actually happened to my daughter as I was standing behind her....watching. To, help her out, I actually replaced the extractor spring with a lighter one....that solved her problem.

It's imperative that you lube this pistol before shooting.....especially a NEW pistol. Then, go to the range, use good ammo and get after it. If you have ANY feed or failure to fire issues, its time to slow down and after each shot, take a look at the rear of the slide to see if its fully forward....if not, just bump the rear of the slide with the heel of your hand, bumping it into batter....and continue firing.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 05-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #4

Dukes4aces .22
I assume your P99C is/was NIB? I only had 1 occurance of a failure to fire (now over 3k rds.)-it was brand new I shot the first mag. then my 13 yr. old shot 1 Rd da bang...then nothing- click. I asked him to pull the trigger again and bang. The experts here believe it was a limp wrist and the striker moving forward actually put the gun back in battery hence the second try with a bang. Never had an issue since I did work the heck out of the slide as it was difficult to rack out of the box and I gave the feed ramp a mirror polish which I do on all my guns

I would clean and go shoot 200 rds. Good luck!!

Last edited by Dukes4aces; 05-03-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Dukes4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
I'm no expert, but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express last weekend. I didn't mention limp wristing, but YES limp wristing can contribute to this phenomenon. Proven by watching my daughter shoot her brand spankin' new P99C and have a few failures to return to batter, but when I ran a mag thru it, it ran perfectly. Limp wristing? You bet.

NIB P99C's seem to be a little tight, right out of the box.....some need more break-in than others. And then, it also depends on the shooter and their grip....not to mention proper lube.

So, lube it, use good ammo and a good grip and put some rounds thru it. I'm sure it'll free up with some use.
GeoNole94 likes this.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 05-04-2017 at 08:50 AM.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

rchandler .22
Thanks everyone for the responses.

No, I didn't look at the pistol at all after it failed. My bad...

Yes it's a NIB gun. I didn't lube it at all, just loaded and fired. Never had that issue with other pistols so didn't think this one would have an issue.

I'm certain I'm not limp wristing it. I always make sure to have a proper grip when I'm shooting.

I've never had this kind of issue from a handgun which is why I'm worried about it so quickly after it having problems. It did run better the second time after lubing it and putting heavier ammo through it. I've read somewhere where these pistols have heavier springs and need some break-in.

I'll put some more rounds downrange and see if it improves.

Thanks again,
Rick
Dukes4aces likes this.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #7

olstyn .22
Neither my P99c nor my P99 have ever given me any issues like the OP describes, and neither seemed to need any break in period, but I cleaned and lubed both of them properly prior to shooting them for the first time. YMMV, but I'm with IAOF on this - the factory preservative can be a bit gummy, and is much better at preservation than lubrication. I would not be shocked if it was slowing the slide down just enough to prevent it from making it all the way into battery some of the time.

Same goes for mags; the yellow/orange gunk that came out of some of my MR branded P99 mags was sticky and downright nasty. I hosed them down with Hornady One Shot and ran some wadded up paper towels through them and all was well, but had I not done that, it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if I'd had some mag-related issues. The Walther branded mags that came with the gun were less icky inside, but still got a quick cleaning inside and out before use.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 AM   #8

Jay90g60 .22
Oldf speaks the truth. Mine did the same thing it broke itself in and all is well now.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #9

rchandler .22
Thanks for confirming that Jay. Glad to see someone else has had this issue before and of course, that it worked itself out.

On a different note, I finally got a response back from Walther CS. They want me to call in to open a case on it. I think I'll give it some more lead to eat first and see if things improve. I cleaned and lubed the living hell out of it last night so fingers crossed...

I really like this pistol. It carries much better than the Shield I have and I'm actually very surprised by that. Love the AS trigger (main reason I bought it) and when it did fire, it was a joy to shoot. My main goal with this pistol is to replace the Shield as a carry weapon and the PPQ as a range gun. Yeah I know, blasphemy in talking about getting rid of guns...
Dukes4aces likes this.

Last edited by rchandler; 05-04-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 AM   #10

Jay90g60 .22
One other thing download the armorers manual that is the first subject in the P99 s cation, if you have not already. Also strip and clean and lube the extractor arm that made mine run smoother. On a side note it seems that most of the P99 c models run great, I had one that was great from day one Oldf helped me out with the other one. As for selling guns it is not selling one it is trading up to the best😎. Or as I told my friend Glocks may rule in hell but Walthers are heavenly.

J
rchandler likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99