New P99c Owner - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #11

GeoNole94 .22
Why does it make me nervous when IAOF says to "lube it" and use "a good grip"?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #12
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Bwaaahhh.............. OK, I get it.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #13

stunksinatl Unproven
This is a nice thread, and indicative of the support available and offered for existing or blossoming Walther firearms owners/users/fans/advocates/aficionados, whatever they may be.

I'd like to offer up my contribution on this topic, to maybe further alleviate the concerns of the OP-rchandler. Here it goes...

Pretty much every "small" pistol I have ever owned and used has some minor teething problems when new. I don't know what causes this...a smaller operating envelope perhaps because of the reduced dimensions and masses and increased speeds involved for all the pistol components/systems....whatever it may be, it happens.

NOW, I agree with possible causes and recommendations discussed thus far, but I'd like to add the following, which OP already alluded to and connected with in continued shooting.

AMMO. Ammo is such a huge contributor to proper operation of a semi-auto pistol. When we're discussing a defensive pistol that is built to shoot regular defensive ammo reliably (a European gun, and it is made with appropriate springs, and spring weights), its unrealistic to think cheap practice ammo should properly operate the gun, especially when its newest and parts haven't worn on each other....and you haven't paid several thousand dollars for a hand-fit gun.

So rchandler, take heart! It is very likely your P99c will run the cheap stuff you've tried so far later in its life, but for now continue with some hotter ammo, not just heavier ammo. I'd recommend finding some 124 gr Euro stuff (GECO or the like), or warmer US spec loads (I really dig Speer Lawman) and continue your initial shooting with that. I'm always happy to see a shooter who has discovered the wonders of the Walther P99 series.

One last thing.....don't get rid of that PPQ....I think you'd regret it!
dpsk likes this.
stunksinatl is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #14

Handy .22
Was any of the ammo steel cased?
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM   #15

rchandler .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Was any of the ammo steel cased?
No... I don't shoot that stuff except in my AK-74. That's only because I have no other choice.

It was cheap ammo the first time out, the second I did go with better ammo, but still not top shelf. It did shoot better the second time out though.
rchandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #16

rchandler .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunksinatl View Post
Pretty much every "small" pistol I have ever owned and used has some minor teething problems when new. I don't know what causes this...a smaller operating envelope perhaps because of the reduced dimensions and masses and increased speeds involved for all the pistol components/systems....whatever it may be, it happens.

AMMO. Ammo is such a huge contributor to proper operation of a semi-auto pistol. When we're discussing a defensive pistol that is built to shoot regular defensive ammo reliably (a European gun, and it is made with appropriate springs, and spring weights), its unrealistic to think cheap practice ammo should properly operate the gun, especially when its newest and parts haven't worn on each other....and you haven't paid several thousand dollars for a hand-fit gun.

One last thing.....don't get rid of that PPQ....I think you'd regret it!
Thanks for the response. I typically buy my ammo from the big box stores and selection is limited and certainly not much choice for better ammo brands. I will go check some of the actual gun stores locally to see what they have and get some recommendations from them on ammo to help with this issue. I'm sure they've probably ran into this problem themselves.

Yes, I may end up keeping the PPQ. My wife loves the thing and I'm pretty partial to it as well but it will be just a range gun.

Depends on what I do going forward. If I get into any competition, I think I will spring for a Wilson Combat that I've been drooling over....
stunksinatl likes this.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #17

rchandler .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
If so, here's a theory. When you had the 'click, no bang' the slide was actually about a 1/8" out of battery (you hadn't noticed this, because you were just shooting one after another). So, when you pulled the trigger, with the slide out of battery, the trigger released the striker, which zinged forward at the speed of light, reaching its forward limit with a thud and a jar, which immediately jarred the slide that last 1/8" into battery. Now, if you looked at your gun, you see that everything looks normal...slide fully forward. If you ejected the round that was in the chamber and inspected the primer, you'd either find a very faint dent or NO dent in the primmer. Again, NO dent or light strike can happen with the slide slightly out of battery.
We have a winner... Took it out today and got a failure. Sure as the wise old fart said above, the slide was about 1/8" out of battery. Reset the slide back into SA and it fired no problem. Out of about 200 rounds, only had one failure. I'm ok with that. I ran some 147g ammo through it and had zero failures with those. I think I'm feeling much better about this pistol now. Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #18

Dukes4aces .22
Work the heck out of your side and leave it locked back if it's just laying around at night.
Dukes4aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #19
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
rch, you're on the right track. Keep shooting it....you'll be just fine.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #20

dpsk .22
Mine has been 100% reliable through it's first ~500 rounds (latest range session today). I did some single handed close quarter draws with it today, shooting from a draw right out of the holster just above hip height (as if you were attacked at arms length) - still 100% reliable. I am very impressed and very happy with the purchase, and the P99c AS is now my primary daily CCW choice.
Dukes4aces likes this.
dpsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99