Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jlavallee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Supporting Member

PPS1980 .22
HiViz front sight on P99AS

Just got a great deal on a HiViz front sight for my P99AS. I did a search and only one post showed up with the HiViz mentioned. I'd love to hear from anyone that has replaced their #4 front sight with a HiViz and what, if any, change they saw in POI from their P99AS. Thanks.
- Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

jlavallee Trouble working and playing with others.
I don't recall what front sight I use from Walther as I don't keep the cheapo plastic stuff on my guns but I use the HiViz FO and get pretty much perfect combat (front sight dot directly on where the bullet hits) picture with my carry load of Federal HST 147 and my normal reloads of 5.7gr power pistol, CCI primer and 124gr Precision Delta JHP.

Here is a post that shows the fronts with the Turul rears.

New Rear Sights From Turul
PPS1980 likes this.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Supporting Member

PPS1980 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
I don't recall what front sight I use from Walther as I don't keep the cheapo plastic stuff on my guns but I use the HiViz FO and get pretty much perfect combat (front sight dot directly on where the bullet hits) picture with my carry load of Federal HST 147 and my normal reloads of 5.7gr power pistol, CCI primer and 124gr Precision Delta JHP.

Here is a post that shows the fronts with the Turul rears.

New Rear Sights From Turul
Thanks! My carry load is Federal HST 124 so we'll see how they do with the new HiViz sight. I may be able to get to the range tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #4

Ratchet .22
I replaced my front #5 with this one:

HIVIZ® Shooting Systems | Manufacturing high quality firearm fiber optic and tritium sights » Front Sight for Walther P99, PPQ, PPX and CCP

I went with the green one. I like the way it looks, but I have been to the range a couple times with it. I seem to struggle a bit with the elevation. It is longer than the factory white dot sight, which brings it closer to the rear sights. When I align the tops of the sights it seems to cut off the bottom of the green dot ever so slightly, which seems to throw me off. So I switched back to the #5 sight & plan to go back to the range in the next day or so to see if it is just me (it could be, since I am still a bit new to hand guns).

I cannot find my caliper, but eyeballing the the #5 versus the Hiviz, it looks like the Hiviz is maybe 0.010" shorter than the #5, but the diameter of the green dot versus the white dot......green dot is definitely bigger, thats why I think it cuts off at the bottom when looking down the sight path & aligning the top of the sights.

With that said, at 30 ft if I forget about the rear sight, just align the tops, then I can put the dot right where I want to hit (not at the 6:00).

Like I said, I need a lot more practice, but those are my intial thoughts of the Hiviz sight.....may just take some getting used to ?
Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Supporting Member

PPS1980 .22
Which sight picture are you using?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #6

Ratchet .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
Which sight picture are you using?
Sight image 3 gets me where I need to be. However, For some reason, it is not easy getting the top of all 3 of the sights in line without seeing a bit of the green fiber optic disappear. I'll take a sight line pic when I get a a sec.
Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99