P99C Question: slide release - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

wbrian .22
P99C Question: slide release

I've seen pics on Walthers site and gunbroker that looks like they have the huge ppq style lever, but ones I've seen in person always have the small traditional P99 style. Do they come in both kinds? Do they have different model numbers?
wbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
As I understand it the P99C with the 'long' ambi slide levers are not imported to the US. The sellers in the US grab a picture to post and don't have a clue.

If you want one bad enough, Earl may be able to get one for you.

Heck, I had Earl build me a P99 M2......the first one on this side of the pond. A P99 upper on a PPQ M2 frame.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 01-02-2017 at 10:25 AM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #3

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
I've read something here to the effect that S&W put together a package called Defense Kit and those had the long, ambi slide releases.

I would hesitate to say they're still being made with ambi slide release today, however.

IAOF is spot on...call Earl and ask if he has anything...it may be pricey, but if you want one to have one, or are a lefty, then money is just a bargaining tool, right?

Now, when I first saw 'em, I wanted both a P99 AND a P99c so they would match my PPQ'. I'm not a lefty, and I've outgrown the desire for it now, but I can say that if I ever tumbled to one under glass or on a peg at my LGS, it would damn sure be coming back to snuggle up with my "flock".

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #4

wbrian .22
The Walther site seems to show the compact with the Q ambi release. I ask cuz I don't want it. The big q release kept me from a ppq inthe first place. Rational or not I always feared I'd develop premature slide lock, thus I went Glock and SW for SF. So... for me I'd rather have the normal slide release. Thanks for the information, looks like it is not a worry in the US.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
"Normal Slide Release"???? I'd say out dated slide release. I'm with T Bird on this one.
jlavallee likes this.

olsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #6

wbrian .22
Ok. I'll take the dated one every time. Best positioned and designed release out there. Just wish it was ambi. 😁
jlavallee likes this.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

olstyn .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrian View Post
Ok. I'll take the dated one every time. Best positioned and designed release out there. Just wish it was ambi. 😁
Yup. The small one is just right as far as I'm concerned. Ambi would be beneficial, but I don't want it to be bigger.
jlavallee likes this.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

wbrian .22
From a thread years ago:
Quote:
I like and dislike the giant slide release on the Walther. It's awesome to use on a slide lock reload, but I find myself hitting/holding it now and then and either locking the slide open with rounds on closed on empty. That sucks. I'd like to get a spare part and mill some material off, as has been suggested here, but the spare is like $65 retail (not sure on dealer price). The M&P is harder to hit when you need it, but I can't imagine hitting it accidentally.
This is what keeps me from liking these big ole SLs. I get Glock bite, because I get my hands high and all over the gun, so the P99 has it PERFECT.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #9

jlavallee Trouble working and playing with others.
As I understand it, the version with the silly PPQ like oversize slide release is no longer offered. As others have stated, an ambi version is a great thing but with the original size one on both sides please. Still, until we have a mass firing of people at Walther America we're not going to see any sensible action so don't hold your breath. I predict more garbage like the CCP and push button me too guns, just be thankful you can still buy P99s and prepare for when they screw those up with M2 models.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #10

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlavallee View Post
the CCP and push button guns
While i'm no lover of the button mag release, you KNOW there's bottom line profits in them over the paddle release version, else they wouldn't have brought about the PPS M2.

That said, my Classics (PPQ', PPS', P99c'....as the paranoia freaks say....my cold, dead hands)..

I had the Navy (M2) for a while last year...it was good, but I didn't love it. Impulse buy...what I was really wanting was the .45 Q.

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99