imaoldfart .22
Walther P99 Trigger Systems

Walther P99 Trigger Systems

AS: Anti-Stress
Affected Models: Classic P99 / P99 AS / P99c AS
Trigger Travel: 0.55” Double Action & AS / 0.31” Single Action
Trigger Reset: 0.25”
Trigger Weight: 11 lbs. Double Action / 5 lbs. Single Action

The P99 AS is basically a hammerless Traditional Double Action pistol, which happens to be striker fired. The largest confusion in the trigger system is the AS mode itself, and with out that variable, the pistol would have a similar trigger action to a
Sig Sauer or a Heckler and Koch.

The AS trigger system of the Walther P99 has three possible carry modes:

AS Mode
The AS mode is automatically engage after a round is chambered. The trigger is fully forward, as if in double action, but the striker indicator is to the rear and visible. This mode offers the safety of carrying the P99 AS in single action with a light yet long trigger pull.

DA Mode
The Double Action mode is achieved after a round is chambered and the decocking button is depressed, releasing the striker into a double action trigger pull. In this mode the trigger is fully forward and the striker is at rest and no longer visible to the rear of the slide. After the trigger is first pulled, all subsequent shots will be in single action. This mode is considered, among fellow P99 AS owners, to be the safest mode to carry the AS in.

SA Mode
The SA mode of carry for the P99 AS is Single Action. This mode can be achieved by chambering a round, which also places the trigger all the way forward and into the AS mode, then slowly pulling the trigger to the rear until you hear the SA portion of the sear engage. You’ll hear a ‘click’ and the trigger will remain in this rearward (actually middle/center) position. This mode will also automatically engage after the first trigger pull in double action mode.

QA: Quick Action
Affected Models: Classic P99 QA / P99 QA (2004-Present) / P99c QA
Trigger Travel: 0.27”
Trigger Reset: 0.27”
Trigger Weight: 8 lbs.

The Quick Action trigger system is a pre-cocked striker system, much like a Glock. The length of pull can be different from pistol to pistol, based on the number on the striker itself. The higher the striker’s number, the longer the length of pull. This trigger system offers a consistent trigger pull from the first shot to the last. The decocker button on the slide of the QA is for disassembly only, and will deactivate the pistol when depressed.

The QA has only one carry mode, with the trigger fully forward and the striker will not protrude from the indicator hole although it is partially cocked:

DAO: Double Action Only
Affected Models: P990 / P99 DAO / P99c DAO
Trigger Travel: 0.55”
Trigger Reset: 0.55”
Trigger Weight: 9 lbs. Double Action

The Double Action Only trigger of the P99 DAO offers another trigger option with a consistent pull from the first to the last shot. In this trigger system, the striker is always at rest meaning the trigger has a much longer pull with every shot, compared to the Quick Action. Also, the full trigger weight can be felt through the entire arc of the trigger’s travel. This trigger can be compared to that of any other double action only pistol.

This trigger system has only one carry mode, with the trigger fully forward and the striker will not protrude from the
gene 1, Captatnman, bkent and 4 others like this.

Last edited by searcher451; 12-11-2013 at 08:19 PM.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

VP70Z .22
EDIT - to reflect the change in imaoldfart's OP...

One thing I like about the AS system is that it allows for sequential cycling of the modes - Rack it, it's in AS. Pull back on the trigger slowly and it will shift to SA. Hit the decocker button and it goes to DA. Nudge the slide back a few centimeters, and voila - back to AS mode again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Cyanide likes this.

Last edited by VP70Z; 12-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.
VP70Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
The reference of a 'number'...first, second, third was simply that, and not really meant to mean they operate in that sequence. The actual order could be kicked around and argued all day, but it's really up to the shooter what order they chose. And they can (as many do) load a round, now you're in AS mode, and then immediately depress the decocker, now you're in DA mode, and that's the mode they carry. It's a toss up and really doesn't make any difference, as long as the shooter understands the three modes and how the P99 AS trigger system operates....the sequence can vary, based on actions from the user/shooter.

edit: The original post has been modified, eleminating the use of First, Second And Third. Just a minute....who's on First?
gene 1, Cyanide and starfather like this.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 12-11-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

gene 1 .22
Imaoldfart, This is the first I have ever paid any attention to the P99 & your post was great. Very easy to understand. Could you please tell me which you think is best, sounds like the AS. Also how does the Walther P99 compare to the S&W model of the same gun?

A lot of people on the site like the P99 by Walther. I think Searcher & UE have them.
gene 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Gene, I have Walther P99's, full size and compact....Also SW99 45's. Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Walther P99 trigger (double action pull) is smoother than the SW99. But the SA pull on the SW99 seems to be just as good as the P99's.

As for choosing between the AS and QA trigger, well, that all depends on the shooter. The AS trigger is certainly a nice trigger and offers three trigger options, which some people like. On the other hand. the QA trigger is not bad at all.....Really.....and yes, I just recently picked up a first gen P99 with QA trigger and would have NO qualms about carrying it.

The choice of triggers really is up to you.....they're both good...simply no bad choices here. And if you're not going to use the DA option that often then the SW99 is also a good choice.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #6

gene 1 .22
Ima, Thanks & am just looking at this P99 as I just got a new CZ P01 & I think in this case I might like a polymer/ striker better. I am also thinking about the new CCP as I do need an easy rack & recoil. How are they on the P99?

I have real good dealer who treats me great on trades. I've got to trade because I am too old to have any money. Also, what is the difference between the S&W P99 & the S&W M&P compact ?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Gene, hey, that CZ P01 is a nice pistol....and I think trigger mods are easy to come by. But rackin' the slide, as far as I know the PPQ and P99 in 9mm or 40 all use the same recoil spring, so they should all feel the same. The P99C, having a 1/2" shorter barrel uses a shorter rsa, but to me, it feels like it requires the same racking force as the full size. And recoil wise, to me the PPQ and P99's feel the same, with the 357 Sig having the most...but even it is manageable....I just put 150 rounds thru that puppy this morning and I'm still able to type and pick my nose....not at the same time of course.

If everything we've heard about the CCP is TRUE, then this may be right down your alley. Just need to sit back and wait and see.

The difference between an SW99C, P99C or M&P compact.....I can't help you out on that one, as I've never even picked up an M&P, much less shot one. But, between the SW99 pistols and the Walther P99's, I believe Walther wins out in quality on this match up.
gene 1 and Cyanide like this.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 08-25-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #8

gene 1 .22
imaoldfart, Thanks a lot for all the help. I really like the CZ P-01, but it just feels a little bigger than I like. Maybe it is just that I like single stack guns best. My hands are average to large, but I am average to small,& the CZ feels ok to me, it is just that a PPK or XDs 9 feels great. The polymer double stacks do feel better to me like the SR9C or the M&P. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #9

BartCarter .22
Quick question:

If you load a magazine in the P99 AS and rack it with the trigger trapped to the rear, will that put the pistol in SA Mode?
BartCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Wow, that sounds like an accident waiting for a time/place to happen. If you want the trigger in SA mode, rack the slide, then gently pull the trigger back about half way.....you'll hear and feel a 'click'. The trigger will stay in that 1/2 pull position which IS the SA position. Too Easy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page
disassemble walther p990
p99 as double action only
p99 competition trigger

p99 single action only

p99 triggers
p99c single action
trigger issues on walther p99
trigger upgrade for sw99
walther 2014 p99 trigger pull
walther p99 difference in trigger parts

walther p990 trigger

walther p99c
Click on a term to search for related topics.