WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
MLB
Supporting Member

MLB .22
Sponsored Links
My P99 hangs up upon cocking occasionally. It just started happening recently. It appears that the recoil spring is bowing downward due to the flexure of the (plastic hinged) guide rod, and catching on the frame. I can understand the utility in making the rod in two pieces for assembly, but can't imagine why they would place the hinge near the middle as opposed to at the end. Ah well.

I probably only have around 1200 rounds through it, but am planning on picking up a new guide rod and spring. My spring is probably fine, just the rod is weak. Wolff dosen't list them on their site, so I'll probably go through Walther America (S&W).

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternate suppliers, or better yet, an improved guide rod? I was interested in the picture of the new P99C on Dr. Lunde's page. It appears to have a pair of springs on the guide rod. Can anyone tell me if this rod is solid (unhinged) or even better, metal?

Thanks for your time...
Old 11-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #2

martyr Unproven
i know there's such a thing as a metal rod, but i understood that they were used to show how the polymer guides were just as good.

(edit: i heard that here: http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/V/2.html )

anyway, my polymer rod flexes down too, although not so far as to catch on the frame under the 9mm barrel
martyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
MLB
Supporting Member

MLB .22
Well, I've had little luck finding a metal guide rod for my p99, so I ordered the Sprinco "Recoil Reducer". I really don't see the need for a recoil reducer, and the $70 is a bit steep, but it incorporates a stainless guide rod into its design. I'll post a review after it comes in.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:24 AM   #4

ylide Unproven
MLB,

I am really looking forward to your update.
ylide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
P88

P88 Unproven
MLB,

Could you post a picture of your spring?

Also what year was your P99 made?

I have several .40 P99's and every one of the springs has the assembly point of the rod at the end, not in the middle. I've even ordered a couple of spares and none of them are assembled in the middle either.

Walther PP,PPK (1935) PPK (1939), PPK (1967), P.38, P88, P99QA (9mm), P99QA (.40), P99QA Military (.40) x2, P22 Limited Edition, G22 OD, G22 Carbon, PPQ Navy
P88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #6

NM_P99 Unproven
I have one of the much sought after metal P99 9mm guide rods, straight from S&W/Walther, it functioned no better than the plastic version, and lasted about as long.
If you\'re gonna die, you\'re gonna die
-Iron Maiden-
NM_P99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
MLB
Supporting Member

MLB .22
My P99 is an AD (2003). *I should have looked a bit closer before I posted I suppose. *I didn't have the rod with me when at the time. *Darn memory. *The splice point is closer to the end than the middle. *My bad.

That being so, the resulting flexure in the rod is still quite pronounced. *If you look closely you will notice that the rod is being slowly scraped away by the spring itself near the splice (see the smaller picture). *

I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the "catch", but it dosen't seem right to me. *I am convinced that the plastic one is a compromise though and a more rigid rod will be an improvement either way. *

The springco rod hasn't arrived yet. *I'll post when it does. *Thanks for the comments.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
P88

P88 Unproven
hmm. That really looks no worse than mine. When the slide is put on the frame, the frame should straighten that rod out from pushing on the end.

When you say it hangs up on cocking, what exactly do you mean? Does the slide not go back into its full forward position?

When you cock the stricker, are you pulling the slide back all the way and releasing the slide, or are you "riding the slide" forward with your hand still on the slide?

Walther PP,PPK (1935) PPK (1939), PPK (1967), P.38, P88, P99QA (9mm), P99QA (.40), P99QA Military (.40) x2, P22 Limited Edition, G22 OD, G22 Carbon, PPQ Navy
Old 12-11-2004, 05:56 PM   #9
MLB
Supporting Member

MLB .22
Maybe the guide rod is not my problem then. I suppose it should straighten out when it's on the frame.

The problem occurs after reassembling the handgun. Afterward, I typically run the slide back and forward a few times to make sure everything feels right. I don't let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber, and therefore do "ride it back" in this situation, but this shouldn't be relevant here because the slide is restricted from backward movement after about half an inch or so. A bit more force than should be required allows the slide to move back, and after that it moves freely.

I wonder if I don't have it clipped fully on the barrel now and then. The rear portion of the guide rod flange is a little worn. I'll have to try that and see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #10
P88

P88 Unproven
You might be on to something. Lets us know what you find.

Also, I personally don't find anything wrong with letting the slide fall on an empty chamber. I've done so with my P99's for years and haven't seen any problems. This may be a problem with other types of guns, but I don't think there is anything to worry about on the P99.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page
1911 guide rods

p99 recoil spring

p99 recoil spring assembly springco
walther forum p99 guide rod spring
walther p99 guide rod spring
walther pps guide rod
Click on a term to search for related topics.