Walther Forums banner

Break Down HELP!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  derbarbarian 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I have been on this forum for quite a while just recently registered because I finally purchased the P99 AS. To start off, I'm 25 and I've been sick now for 4 years with a disease that has ravaged my joints in my body mainly my hands and feet so I have very low strength in my hands and I've watched several video's of the P99 break down but the two tabs above the trigger that it says you need to pull down I cannot to that for the life of me, is there something I could use that you guys could recommend to get this accomplished I killed my hands trying to do it and would appreciate any input. If you're curious about my whole disease and stuff I have a site Save Dieter has pictures and stuff it'll give ya a better perspective, thankfully I'm not left handed as you can see in picture but my right hand fingers are starting to seize up and mildly deform but thank the gods I'm still able to go shooting even though it hurts a bit with the bigger guns I still love it and if I weren't able to shoot I would go completely nuts.

#6 ·
Initially I found it helped to brace the back of the pistol against my chest with the grip facing to my right (I'm right handed). Then I could pull the slide back just slightly with my left hand (basically pulling the pistol in against my chest) while pulling down on the release tabs with the fingers of my right hand.

It will get easier over time, but those first few breakdowns on mine were almost painful trying to get those tabs down before I figured this method out.

#8 ·
I figured it out, I got the slide back about .25 inches as mentioned above and I stuck a small wooden dowel behind the slide to hold it back at about .25 pressed down the tabs popped the dowel out out and boom slide came right off and didn't leave a mark.. I oiled the crap outta the thing so its going to have to sit for a couple days to let the oil soak up and get in all the nooks and crannies as soon as I oiled it up I noticed it was prolly 50% easier to pull the slide back than before which is nice and im sure it will lighten up a little with some rounds through it. In the end thank you all for your input and advice I greatly appreciate it.

#9 · (Edited)
Following procedure requires the least effort and works best when standing upright in front of a table:

- check if the gun is unloaded
- remove the magazine
- decock the striker
- hold the pistol with one hand in a vertical position, muzzle downwards
- while holding the gun in your hand, tilt the rear sight a little away from you so that the bore axis is not exactly at a 90 degree angle
- gently put the muzzle (i.e. the forward part of the slide, near the front sight, just above the barrel) against a surface. A wooden table or desk that will not scratch the slide or muzzle crown will do very fine.
- gently push the pistol downwards while only holding the grip. This will cause the slide to retract just a little bit. The front edge of the dust cover will prevent from pushing the pistol too far. You might use your body weight from your shoulder to assist a little bit.
- this allows you to use your other hand (thumb and index finger) to push away the disassembly notch.
- gently lift the pistol while still holding the grip. This will cause the slide and barrel to slide free from the frame.

Take your time and keep it safe!

#10 ·
wow derbarbarian,i'm really sorry to hear about your condition. i hope you get better or at least find some relief.

when i saw that large pile of empty medicine containers it made me think of the effects on your liver. i'm sure you had to take them all and i'm not saying anything against that. you have to do what you have to do and there may be no way around that for you.

however,many harsh medicines/chemicals can have a secondary negative effect on the liver,stomach and sometimes the kidneys and since you have no choice but to take those medicines it may be a good idea to protect those organs.

there's a product/herb called MILK THISTLE. unlike many of the exaggerated claims made about so many other herbs,milk thistle has been known for centuries to be effective against liver damage. it is one of those herbs that actually does what is claimed of it.

i am not a doctor and i'm not trying to be one so please ask your doctor if taking milk thistle is safe for you or if it would have any contra action with the medicines your taking. again,ask your doctor.

milk thistle is so effective in protecting the liver that it is given/taken for alcoholics who are destroying their liver. it has the ability to block out toxins that would otherwise damage the liver and it has even been known to repair a liver that is already damaged,even with holes on the liver.

there is a certain extra amount that you should take if you are comsuming large amounts of chemicals/toxins/medicines as opposed for only maintenance. again, ask your doctor.

i'm sure that someone here is going to come down hard on me for saying all of this to you derbarbarian but just because you have to take all those medicines,and i'm sure you have to,it doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to protect yourself from secondary effects.

there is also a pill that your doctor can perscribe to help protect your organs(kidneys,liver,etc.) from having secondary negative effects(damage) from taking so many medicines/chemicals. in sorry but i forget the name of it right now but i'm sure your doctor knows it. ask your doctor about this.

again,i'm sorry to hear about your condition and i hope you get better.

please consult your doctor about anything i've said here before taking anything.

oh and ah,happy shooting with your new p99.:)

#11 ·
Hey Priler thanks for that I really appreciate it I will definitely ask my doctor about that, funny enough I'm on a medication to help my liver and kidney function, it's probably some weird mixture of who knows what, that's how they have been treating me, treat me with one thing hard on my body, then give me something harder to reduce the effects of the first one gotta love doctors lol. Thank you again for all the nifty breakdown techniques the table/desk one was the one I was actually going to try next but luckily the little dowel did its purpose quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.