Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 AM   #21

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Walther View Post
The original is still the best.
Matter of personal opinion...

Not dogging the AS trigger (it's actually damned excellent) but the QA isn't the worst thing Walther has ever done either.

I like mine, just wish it wasn't on a .40. I'd probably let my wife carry it daily.

You want to talk about a purely crap trigger, then go try a S&W Bodyguard .380. It's like dragging your index finger through a gravel filled corn field, then finally catching the edge of a 2x4 at the far end, and getting rapped in the hand with a piece of wood while a firecracker goes off in your ear.

The reset takes you all the way back across the corn field for another long slow drag, about like watching two Geo Metro cars race. Slow, painful, and not at all confidence inspiring LOL.

There's a few tricks one can do to a QA pistol to make it feel better, short of changing springs, I've done all that, and mine isn't all that bad now. It was also barely shot when I got it, and I haven't put but maybe 175 rounds through it, if that even. Would have to check my log to know for sure.

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #22

Herr Walther Unproven
Of course it is.

Not much that I have comes close to the trigger on my P99. The P88 would right up there for the ultimate in smoothness. The P5 is great too right up until it starts to stack from lifting the firing pin, but still not bad.

The P99 trigger reset can't be beaten by anything I have, have had, or have fired. Pretty nice.

Made in the U.S. of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #23

Echoplex04 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post
Not dogging the AS trigger (it's actually damned excellent) but the QA isn't the worst thing Walther has ever done either.
The trigger on my QA is smooth as silk and breaks crisp and I just ordered a 5 lb wolff striker spring to see if I can lighten it to the same pull as the AS in SA mode but with the obvious longer reset. I don't believe I would ever want to trade mine for anything else, though I've never shot the SA and wouldn't want to shoot the DAO (It's probably just like the PPX).

Old 04-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #24

Josefius .22
Is the PPS a QA or DAO?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
H&K P30SK 9x19
H&K VP9 9x19
Sig P230 7.65 B
Mauser HSc 7.65

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Josefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #25

Echoplex04 .22
The manual says "Each shot will be fired in the striker fire action mode." so it seems like QA to me. There's nothing in the manual that states it any more clearly. Website says "fast to spring into action..."
Found this too: "Striker Fire Action, pre-cocked" PPS Detail
Josefius likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #26

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefius View Post
Is the PPS a QA or DAO?
I've seen it written in several places that it's DAO. Given that it's a lot like @lock in that it completes the cocking process and then fires on the same trigger pull, I'd agree. While it does feel heavier and stiffer and not so silky smooth as the PPQ, this shouldn't be meant to diss the PPS. It's not really meant to be a IDPA contender, although it's certainly accurate enough...it's basically a deep cover, "ace in the hole", to borrow from Jack Higgins' character Sean Dillon of the rogue IRA-turned-Group Four "problem solver".

Echoplex, let me know how the 5ib wolf works for you...I may order one to try as well.
Cyanide and Echoplex04 like this.

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #27

Josefius .22
I was reading the Wiki on the PPS this morning and found this:

The internal pre-loaded internal striker is a variant of the partially cocked striker system of the Walther P99 Quick Action model. When the trigger is pulled, the already partially cocked striker is fully cocked and released, firing the pistol. An indicator on the back of the slide shows if the striker is partially cocked. The 'QuickSafe' trigger variant main difference with the Walther P99 Quick Action trigger is that removing the PPS pistol's backstrap will disable the gun for safe storage by decocking and blocking the striker until the backstrap is reinstalled. The PPS has a trigger travel of approximately 6 mm (0.2 in) and a trigger pull of approximately 27 N (6.1 lbf). Unlike many other trigger systems preset internal strikers have a let-off point and trigger pull that remains unchanged from the first shot to the last and requires no decocker.

I guess it is a variant of the P99 QA
H&K P30SK 9x19
H&K VP9 9x19
Sig P230 7.65 B
Mauser HSc 7.65

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Josefius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #28

Echoplex04 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post
Echoplex, let me know how the 5ib wolf works for you...I may order one to try as well.
Just put in the 5lb Wolff spring. It is very light in pull but still breaks just as clean as before. It will take a few shots to get used to. I don't want to be loud right now so I will fire it tomorrow to see how I really like it. I took a side by side comparison between the stock P99QA spring and the Glock spring I am using but will post that with my findings on shooting as I am on my phone and can't upload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140421_001.jpg (239.8 KB, 41 views)
Cyanide likes this.

Last edited by Echoplex04; 04-22-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added photo
Echoplex04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #29

skeeter149 .22
Let us know. I had a wolff 5lbs spring in but took it out and never fired it after I got the AS. Curious to how reliable it is since I still have it. I know I had light primer strikes with the glock 5lbs so I was afraid to use it.
skeeter149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #30

Echoplex04 .22
I added a photo to my post above. I am little worried about light strikes myself, skeeter. Yesterday, before I got home I went to the range I pass every day on the way home and tried out the AS model cause I never felt the need to before but now wanted to have something to compare to. That trigger is very interesting. I don't very much like that first full in DA or the long pull in SA. It just makes me think "wait for it... wait for it... bang!". I loved the short pull when you don't let your finger forward, but don't need that. It seemed to far back and I didn't feel in control. I guess I'm just used to the QA. I'm sure if I had bought the AS first I'd be singing its praises like everyone else. If I don't have to do anything when I get home I'll get to try out my "not for duty use" trigger.
Cyanide likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page

p99 qa vs as

p99c dao vs qa
p99q
p99q vs p99

walther as vs qa

walther p99 q

walther p99 qa vs as

walther p99 vs p99as
walther p99 vs ppq
walther p99c dao
walther p99c qa vs as
walther ppq vs p99
Click on a term to search for related topics.