WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Resbum .22
Failure to Extract Problem: PK380, P22, P99 similarities?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a new PK380 that's having troubles extracting spent cases.

The reason I'm posting this here is because:
1) There is a much larger following here.
2) When looking at the exploded diagrams, the PK380 is a combination of the P99 and P22 parts. Literally.

So my reasoning is that the PK380 should go through the mechanics of extracting in a similiar fashion.

Anyways, I put 100 rounds through the gun the day I broke it in. Took it home stripped/cleaned it, then went back to the range and cycled 300 rounds through it.

The first day I had 1 failure to extract and that was with a box of steal cases. The other box was good old fashion Winchester brass cases and had zero problems with it.

The day I went back to the range it started failing to extract with the very first magazine put through the gun. In all, I had failures to extract every magazine's worth of rounds, except one, for 300 rounds. Sometimes 2 or 3 failures to extract.

Is there any common issues with the P99/P22 that causes this to happen? I've visually inspected the extractor and all other parts that normally are a part of the extraction process, and can't see any obvious damage or problems.

Thanks in advance. Resbum
Resbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

jimmythebrain .22
First I will admit that I do not have a PK380...

But the P99 and P22 are very different. The P22 has a much thinner extractor and the 22 LR that it shoots is a rimmed cartridge, not a rimless cartridge like the .380 or 9 MM.

I have not had problems with failure to extract in my P99's in either first or current generation, nor in either 9 MM or 40 Cal. I did have erratic ejection from a 40 caliber P99 and all the brass flew back towards my face, but the brass did all leave the gun. Walther replaced that gun for me.
I have had problems with extraction in many different pistols and if it is not an extractor defect then it has turned out to be a brass rim dimension/angle issue.

If the extractor works great with one brand of ammunition all the time, then it is probably the brass dimension issue that is causing the problem. If it is happening with all brands of brass then I would try getting a new extractor spring and cleaning the extractor hook very well.

Just my 2 cents worth (well 1 cent with deflation)
Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

thorn .22
I have no experience with the PK380 or P22. But I've put 5000-6000 rounds through my P99, and never had an extraction failure with that gun.

thorn
Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #4

Erock .22
I don't know about the PK380, but my P99 hasn't so much as stovepiped in the 6 years I've owned it. However, men often have trouble with smaller caliber handguns not extracting, stovepiping, or shortstroking because they "catch" the blowback required to cycle the gun. This can especially be a problem for bigger dudes. Some concealed carry classes won't allow .380s for qualifying as the failures slow down the shooting line. I watched this happen with a kel tec P3AT, one guy would shoot it just fine. another guy would have a stovepipe or short-stroke once or twice per magazine.

--Walther P99 .40 2g (2004) Titanium Coated--
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
XKL

XKL .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erock View Post
I don't know about the PK380, but my P99 hasn't so much as stovepiped in the 6 years I've owned it. However, men often have trouble with smaller caliber handguns not extracting, stovepiping, or shortstroking because they "catch" the blowback required to cycle the gun. This can especially be a problem for bigger dudes. Some concealed carry classes won't allow .380s for qualifying as the failures slow down the shooting line. I watched this happen with a kel tec P3AT, one guy would shoot it just fine. another guy would have a stovepipe or short-stroke once or twice per magazine.
I don't understand. Is this the opposite of "limp wristing?" It sounds like limp wresting but you're attributing it to "bigger dudes" in this case. I have no experience with .380 so I'm curious.
XKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #6

Resbum .22
Thanks for the replies.

When I couldn't find anything wrong visually I pulled the pin and completely removed the extractor assembly. I noticed that the extractor wasn't closing up with the cartridge very tight so I took my jeweler's file and emroy cloth and removed just enough material so that the extractor would close enough to slightly grasp the cartridge.

Whether the thorough teardown and cleaning or my slight mod, something worked. I went to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds through it without one failure.

Hell, maybe my gun was just having a bad day the second time I went to shoot it.

Resbum

Last edited by Resbum; 12-23-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Resbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #7

jimmythebrain .22
I am glad that the gun is working better for you.

Have fun shooting!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #8

Erock .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKL View Post
I don't understand. Is this the opposite of "limp wristing?" It sounds like limp wresting but you're attributing it to "bigger dudes" in this case. I have no experience with .380 so I'm curious.
I think you're right, limp wristing (or a loose grip, or moving elbows). I think big guys newer to shooting do it more often because they don't have to hold on to that gun for dear life.

--Walther P99 .40 2g (2004) Titanium Coated--
Erock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
jjt

jjt .22
extracting problems

I have a P22 as well...........I always wonder why i never hear of anyone using very and i say very small amounts of lubrication,,,,,,A product i use is Kleen Bore Formula gun conditioner(Precision Shooter) never use Lead away gun cleaning patches they gum with age) its come in a vile that resembles a syringe 2 very very small drops along the injection slides and always use brass ammo will solve your ejection problems on your P22.......on my p99 i use very carefully a dremall polishing cone on the injection port.. be very careful and use only a small amount of jewlers rouge if any then clean as usual......remington 36 gr HP goes thru my p22 very well..........
jt
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

coolshadey2000 .22
Bringing up an old topic to share a horror story

I unfortunately purchased a pk380 brand new in July 2010. In the first 80rds of new winchester fmj it jammed 5 times It had been properly cleaned and prepped after purchasing and it turned out to be a faulty extractor pin. Still having some remote faith in walther I sent it in to be fixed.... 3 weeks later I get it back with a not stating that the extractor was replaced and my pk380 was fully serviced. Sweeeet But as soon as I set out to shoot it everything was not so sweet. A good friend of mine came out with his Kimber, the next gun I will be buying, and we took turns shooting each others. From ~11feet out his Kimber groups the target perfectly. My pk380 however shoots 8" low..... Yes that is correct, 8" below where the sights are aimed at 11feet from a target.

I am heading to pick up my gun tomorrow to see how it shoots now, however the service note stated that the extractor pin and spring were replaced, nothing about the sights. My unfortunate assumtion that it will be 3 more weeks, and 27 more phone calls later until the hint is delivered that I do NOT trust what the name of carl walther has become, nor will I buy another. This gun will be bought back and hopefully I will then be able to say something nice about said companies.
coolshadey2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page
pk380 extractor

pk380 problems

walther p22 failure to eject
walther p22 failure to extract
walther p99 extractor
walther pk380 ejection problems
walther pk380 ejector

walther pk380 extractor

walther pk380 extractor problem

walther pk380 extractor problems

walther pk380 failure to extract

walther pk380 problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.