WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

exbladerunner .22
Help: wanting a "legal" Walther in Australia

Hi there people.

I am trying to work out a way to get a Walther P-99 in Australia, despite the frustrating barrel length laws over here so I can ENJOY Practical pistol comps.

I really wanted an unmodified P-99, but the barrel has to be 120mm or greater due to our wonderful laws. That will mean I will be competing against ALL sorts of "modified" weapons with a bog-standard P99. ... BUT WHO CARES! -ITS A P99, BABY! -YEAH!!!!

I have thought about different options -and would like some feedback or ideas from the team here!

Option 1:
Get the local Walther certified importers to "try really hard" and get me a Walther with a custom barrel brought in from USA -or- wherever has similar barrel length "laws" to Oz ...and a population of Walther enthusiasts!
Problem (I think) is that they(the importers) hardly sell them over here at all and I think there is a reluctance to do anything out of the ordinary (lazy sods).

Option 2:
I Order a Walther thru my local arms dealer and BEFORE signing it over to me, they modify the barrel by adding a tube of steel (welded) to the end of the barrel to MAKE the handgun "legal"
Problem is that it voids the Walther warranty and PROBABLY messes up the barrel harmonics and MAY screw up the barrel accuracy(tho it could dumb-luck it and make it better - But I doubt it).

Option 3:
I look into getting a flash suppressor/hider WELDED onto and FLUSH with the barrel (same as above but has the added technical advantage of looking cooool).

Option 4:
I get a threaded barrel version and somehow fix a compensator to it to make it permanent... (to get the length - looks similar to a P-22)
Looks really snazzy, but I would NOT be able to remove the barrel from the slide (Tho I get the impression this is NOT critical for basic field stripping and cleaning???)

Option 5:
Some sort of evil and devious plan to overthrow the police-state govt with the sole purpose to put in place the right for ONLY ME to keep and bear WALTHER arms without mis-informed and petty limitations.

Option 6:
Haven't thought of anything witty enough yet to make it seem like there are more than 3 REAL options.

... (the following is mindless ranting due to excessive Walther P99 cravings) ...
Did I mention that the Walther P99 looks MEAN enough WITHOUT even firing it??? Seriously... It is the nastiest looking 9mm I have seen out there! It is sort of a cross between a warthog and a sledge hammer... It has NASTY angles and means business!

Also... WHY WHY WHY did they change the trigger guard AWAY from the gen 1? -That original guard KICKS ASS!

-Cheers in advance!
exbladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Your No. 5 options seems a better long-range soultion to the issue than the others. (See the words of Mr. Jefferson, below.)

Sorry -- we read reports about the draconian gun laws in Australia, and it's hard to relate to from this side of the world. Can you purchase and import a custom, extended barrel so that the one you eventually insert into your P99 still conforms to the laws but doesn't look like Bubba's Worhshop's latest bad idea? Were it me, I'd look in that direction to see if it offered any possibilities for you.

Keep us posted -- and good luck to you. The P99 is the real deal and well worth the effort.

Welcome aboard, by the way.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Supporting Member

uncut .22
Option 4
Get a P99 with a threaded barrel and have a good smith fix a compensator or flash hider on it.....

Or if you yet want to take a different approach
contact Walther in Germany and ask them if they could make a long barrel for your P99

edit to say.... all options are rather difficult as the external diameter of the extension to the original barrel should not be bigger than the original barrel so you still can take the barrel out for cleaning and break down

Nothing but the best for the best

Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #4

MattB .22
How long is the barrel on the Canadian-spec P99? I know it's extended over the standard variant to conform to their laws, but I'm not sure if it's long enough to be legal in Australia.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Steve99 .22
The Canadian 9mm P99 has the barrel extended to 105mm - only 3mm longer then the US model.
There is a slim chance that a factory Walther 9mm P99 threaded barrel may be long enough. Googling suggests there have been 4.5 (114.3mm) and 4.75 (120.65mm) inch versions
If indeed they have made a 4.75 inch version of the threaded barrel then a US P99 could be purchased, the barrels swapped in the US and then the now Australia legal P99 could be imported.

All of this reminds me of what I went through when looking to import a P99c into Canada - I haven't done it yet but I could purchase a P99c and the threaded barrel for the P99c which has a 106mm barrel so it could be imported into Canada.
Steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #6

153 .22
Adding some kind of permanant "dingus" to the end of the P99 barrel might give you import length, but if the added piece was made "permanent" to satisfy a misquided law, you would not be able to field strip the pistol.

If it is just an inch or so you need added, then have a custom barrel made.

Your time and money would be better spent finding a "legal" pistol.

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #7

RickJZ Unproven
contact Jarvis; their threaded barrels are longer than an oem Walther threaded barrel www.jarvis-custom.com
sepolvora likes this.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

M_E_ .22
Option #7; Tell the Sods in your Government to "Step off" and move to Arizona, USA!! You WILL be welcome here.

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
MLB
Supporting Member

MLB .22
Most practically, I'm with RickJZ. Talk to as many of the aftermarket barrel makers as you can find. One of them may be able to fabricate a custom length.

I do like M_E's plan too though
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Supporting Member

uncut .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_E_ View Post
Option #7; Tell the Sods in your Government to "Step off" and move to Arizona, USA!! You WILL be welcome here.
Yea only if he does it the legal way.... I love what yo uguys are doing over there as of late

Nothing but the best for the best

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99

Search tags for this page
buy walther p99 australia
legal pistol barrel length australia
threaded barrel australia
walther handguns australia

walther p99 australia

walther p99 barrel length
walther p99 for sale australia
walther p99 in australia
walther pistols australia

walther ppk australia

walther ppk in australia
walther ppk legal in australia
Click on a term to search for related topics.