P88 Magazine: 10-round - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

maineiac .22
Please help me get this right. Am I correct based on comments above, that the P99 magazine DOES fit the P88C? Does this hold true for the 15 rd as well as the 10 rd mags?When I bought my 88C during the Clinton years, I could only get 10 rd mags and have always wanted some that would hold more. Thanks!

NRA
proud member
maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #12

Darkstar888 .22
Yes the 15/16rd P99 mags will fit as will Beretta 92 mags. Though you may need to dermal mag catch notch.

Last edited by searcher451; 11-11-2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Darkstar888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #13

maineiac .22
Thank you very much for that! Although I'm not sure what 'Though you may need to dermal mag catch notch.' means, I'm sure that someone will help me through that. Many thanks for your help!!

NRA
proud member

Old 11-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #14

Darkstar888 .22
I'm not sure if the notch in the P99 mag for the mag release is in the same position as a P88 mag. So may need to dermal one in the proper spot. Here some pics of the notch on a 15rd P99 mag
Old 11-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

maineiac .22
Got it! Thanks.

NRA
proud member
Old 11-12-2016, 04:12 AM   #16

lechiffre .22
The notch in the P99 and P88c magazines ARE THE SAME, EXACTLY THE SAME. no modification required.

There is however one little hitch. The plastic base plate on the P99 magazine prevents the magazine from seating in the P88c. The Plastic base plate must be replaced with a flat metal one. Beretta 92 ones fit perfectly. I have also used CZ-75 and P226 base plates.
ronin11 likes this.

Do the interns get Glocks ?
lechiffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #17

maineiac .22
Does this then mean that in reality two magazines are needed in order to create one that works in the P88C?

NRA
proud member
Old 11-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #18

Montana Slim .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac View Post
Does this then mean that in reality two magazines are needed in order to create one that works in the P88C?
No. You just need to buy the flat metal base plates. I bought two cheap used Beretta mags and swapped the base plates. The P99 mags work flawlessly in my P88C.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #19

maineiac .22
Thank you all, great information! I appreciate you folks and the expertise available here.

NRA
proud member
Old 11-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
There is a lot more to substituting magazines than simply whether it can be inserted into the magazine well in the grip and be locked in and feed a few rounds in superficial testing.

Magazine design is really extremely sophisticated, and gun specific. The perfect Beretta magazine may or may not work when inserted into a current Walther. Magazines often are modified in production, and of course so are the guns themselves. The P99 has had at least three different magazines, and God knows how many modifications to the gun itself.

Height of cartridge presentation can vary a great deal, and often is influenced by the floorplate and by the precise location of the magazine catch notch. It does not take very many thousandths of difference to screw things up. The included angles formed by the feed lips and the follower, and the rear wall of the magazine are usually very carefully calculated, and if one or the other is a few degrees less than ideal it will, upon extensive testing, be found to detract from reliability. (I was told this by people who designed very good magazines for a living, and who knew far more about it than I do.)

But just for openers: Remove the slide and shove the intended substitute magazine into the gun as high as it will go and hold it there. Use the ejector as a visual height gauge. Do the rear of the magazine lips reach as high as the correct magazine? (They should.) Does the magazine impact the ejector? (It should not). Are the front of the lips scrubbing the underside of the slide? (They should not.)

M
RickJZ and searcher451 like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 11-17-2016 at 09:35 PM.
MGMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Tags
10rd, mag, mag ban, magazine, p88

Search tags for this page

walther p88 10 round magazine

walther p88 10 round magazines

Click on a term to search for related topics.