WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By KMKP7KING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Redcoat3340 .22
P88 compared to Colt 1911 9mm

So I was thinking of upgrading (bigtime) my Star Super B 1911-style 9mm to a Colt Government Model Competition, 9mm.

But I really like Walthers (P5, P38/P1 and PPX as well as the S&W/Walther SW990L) and keep reading about the P88 and what a wonderful pistol it is. Iconic even.

They seem to be priced close (or close enough) and I'm wondering if anyone has any comments/insights contrasting the two guns (or the Colt and the 88 compact, although the barrel length on the compact makes it a tougher comparison).

Either would be for the range, not carry (I usually carry a Shield and my bedside gun is a Sig sP2022). I'm a decent shot but my eyes aren't what they were when I was 30, so the idea of a blue iridescent front sight on the Colt is attractive, but not required.

I know comparing a new gun (the Colt) with a used pistol isn't quite an equal comparison...but I'd like to hear some opinions anyway.

thanks in advance.
Redcoat3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-08-2016, 02:16 AM   #2

Redcat94 .22
I have no experience with the P88 but I do have a Kimber 1911 in 9mm. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Very accurate with little recoil. Plus a 1911 has more options for customization. I've been thinking about adding a Colt Competition if I come across one. From the reviews that I've seen so far most people are replacing the blue front sight.
Redcat94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #3
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
For shooting pleasure I'd keep the Star Super B.

In any event, no P88 ever made is an adequate substitute for an M1911A1 or a Government Model in any caliber.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 05-08-2016 at 10:06 AM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Redcoat3340 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
For shooting pleasure I'd keep the Star Super B.

In any event, no P88 ever made is an adequate substitute for an M1911A1 or a Government Model in any caliber.

M
Great God in Spokane...this is a first on ANY GUNBOARD....

Someone actually trying to talk a guy OUT of buying another gun!! (Usually when confronted with a "this gun or that gun," the advice is, "Buy both."

Mike...much appreciate the advice, you might be right. I have absolutely no complaints with the Star. It always goes "Bang," the little brass thingies always come out the top, chunks of lead always go out the front end, it makes a loud noise and some smoke, and it looks great. I've been buying "up" and trading in most of my good-but-not-great guns....and really, how much better can the Colt be for what I use it for (fun)?

I'll see what my LGS has come up with, if there's a bargain I'll think about it, if not, I'll keep the two Stars and S&W I was going to sell to finance the Colt.

Again, thanks for the frankness.
Redcoat3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post
... if there's a bargain I'll think about it, if not, I'll keep the two Stars and S&W I was going to sell to finance the Colt.

I thought you were going to finance a P88....

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

KMKP7KING .22
The P88 is by far one of the finest made pistols that being said it also requires the owner to have large enough hands to grip it properly. Just like the HK P7M13, you need large hands to be able to get the full handle on them. The P88c is better to hold on to but I have to say its not as accurate as the P88 for me anyway. The P5 and some of the others may also be better if you have smaller hands. As for the 1911, well you can go from stock to super race gun. I think you need to evaluate what you want this pistol for and how you are going to use it. If your not going to shoot bulls-eye competition then I wouldn't spend the extra money for a super high end 1911. Any of the guns you mentioned will provide adequate accuracy for range work and much fun. Just my honest opinion.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

GeoNole94 .22
A 1911 in 9mm is blasphemy to some, but an awful lot of fun. I have a SIG 1911 in 9mm, so I guess I can be considered an unrepentant sinner

The P88 and 1911 are both worth owning and enjoying, IMO.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #8

lechiffre .22
The P88 is nicer to look at, I'll give it that.

You already have two superior Walthers.

Do the interns get Glocks ?
lechiffre is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88