WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MGMike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

dj609 .22
Full size P88 slide disassembly

I'm having trouble finding any info online about how to disassemble the slide for cleaning. I've found loads of material on the p88c, but not the full size, and I've read that the two are very different. I didnt want to just wing it and take the chance of breaking something and then having to track down parts. Can anyone help me out?
dj609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Do this once, just to see what's in there and satisfy yourself that you can do it. Thereafter there's no need to do it often. Solvent and compressed air will be your friends.

Start by removing the rear sight. Bubba uses a screwdriver to depress its retaining plunger, and leaves ugly scars on the plunger, sight and slide in the process, but you should use a sharp, knife-edge bamboo skewer. If it's stubborn and you must resort to a thin steel tool, use something like an Ex-acto blade and protect the slide from scratches with vinyl electrical tape. The plunger wants to go airborne, so do this on a clean, clutter-free bench in a white-painted room.

Once the rear sight is out, the slide guts are accessible. The firing pin lifter can be pushed out from below. Pay close attention to the orientation of all springs as you remove them--put them back the same way. Note that the extractor has two springs one inside the other ; they are wound in opposite directions so they don't bind in compression. They also want to fly, so don't lose them; capture the extractor with your finger when you drift out the pin.

M
searcher451 and GeoNole94 like this.
MGMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

mr.snakeman .22
Also, do remember: no lubrication on the firing pin/spring and their housing. Clean, clean, clean but no lub.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88