Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Supporting Member

lifesizepotato .22
P88 wood grips on eBay

Sponsored Links
I posted a couple months ago about how excited I was to have found some full-size P88 wood grips in Germany, after an exhausting year-long search. I still have a saved eBay search running, though, and to my surprise, a couple sets have appeared on eBay today.

I find them to be a bit thinner than the plastic grips, so they may help for owners who find the factory setup to be too thick. Besides that, the P88 is a finely made European gun that deserves nice wood instead of plastic. I'd strongly encourage other P88 owners and Walther Forum members to pick a pair up before they're gone. They're rare as hen's teeth.

Walther P88 Only Fine English Walnut Checkered Pistol Grips Fullsize Sweet New | eBay

Walther P88 Only Fine English Walnut Checkrd w Bannerlogo Pistol Grips Fullsize | eBay

Edit: I just realized the seller has a few sets of each! They're apparently not the Nills that I searched out, either, but rather some new-manufacture grips made in the USA. Still, good opportunity to fancy up your P88.

Last edited by lifesizepotato; 11-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.
lifesizepotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

ronin11 .22
The grips are from Grips4u.com and I have bought 2 sets from them (Scott was very easy to deal with). One set was for a Walther P5 and another set was for a P5C. Excellent quality, fit and finish were outstanding. I note their price on ebay is usually higher than directly from Grips4u. In this case the ebay price is $149.00 and off of their site it's $125.00...nice heads-up from lifesizepotato (whose video's I have seen and are both entertaining and informative...

Veritas / Aequitas

oro se do bheatha bhaile...
ronin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
Supporting Member

lifesizepotato .22
Oh, I didn't realize they were the work of Grips4u.com. Grips4u does make a fine product, and I've had a couple sets of their grips in the past. Either way, I think it's great that there is an option for P88 owners to finally put some wood on their guns easily. Nill stopped making them a few years ago and their grips are nearly impossible to find.

Thanks for the heads up on the price, Ronin!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
CAR

CAR .22
Those are very nice looking, oil finished English walnut in the European style rather than some glossy plastic type finish. I will have to pick up a set for my P88.
CAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

TJPopkin .22
I ordered a set from EBay after trying to so an internet search on P88 grips. I have since asked Scott why the disparity in price. I thought of selling the P88 because it does not fit me (too fat for my small hands). I will try these grips (stocks) to see if they improve that. I had the double action break on my P88, but the shop where I purchased it has a good gunsmith and he repaired it for NO CHARGE!. Tough to find shops that reputable.

NRA Instructor
S&W Collector Society
S&W Historical Society
TJPopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Supporting Member

lifesizepotato .22
I don't know how these Grips4U grips will change the size of the P88's grip, but I think my Nill wood grips made it a little slimmer. Please be sure to post your impressions once you've received them, TJPopkin!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

TJPopkin .22
P88 Walnut Grips

I installed them and like them. Very attractive, and improved "perch" in the hand for my small hands. I had a bit of difficulty in fitting a small inset that mounts under the Beavertail area (the factory grips have an extension molded into the grips). If this extension were integrated into the grips it would be too fragile. I did a bit of minor sanding with 400 and 600 grit (wet and dry), added a touch of Watco walnut oil and they seem nearly perfect. I will photograph the gun with the grips as soon as my new studio space is available (this week).

NRA Instructor
S&W Collector Society
S&W Historical Society
Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

TJPopkin .22
BTW. If you members have the opportunity, look at the new book by Jim Supica et.al."The Treasures of the National Firearms Museum". I was a primary photographer (along with Michael) on this project (credits on the 1st page). Spent a lot of time photographing the Petersen Collection and it was great fun handling these amazing firearms.
The book is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and at Costco.
searcher451 and GeoNole94 like this.

NRA Instructor
S&W Collector Society
S&W Historical Society
Old 12-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #9

TJPopkin .22
Hear is the composite I shot for the P88, WiTH the NEW GRIPS!

NRA Instructor
S&W Collector Society
S&W Historical Society
Old 12-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #10

AoxoMoxoA .22
My set of Grips4u grips for my P88 arrived yesterday, and I set about the task of installing them on my pistol. Initial impressions out of the box were very good. The grips were nicely finished, with very nice mineral lines in the walnut and a tight checkered pattern.

Regarding installation, I don't know the extent of TJP's experience, but for me, these grips were definitely not "drop in ready." In the interest of full disclosure, the P88 is an extremely busy pistol "under the hood," with lots of levers, pins, clips, etc., protruding from both sides of the frame, that reside just under the very thin grips. It's no easy task making wood grips for this gun, which may be why Karl Nill no longer offers a standard grip for the P88.

That said, I needed to decide right then whether I was going to put them back in the box and send them back, or proceed, Dremel in hand, to never never land and begin the task of fitting these very fragile, already thin grips to my pistol, knowing that any screw-up would be a $125 screw-up.

I began with the right grip, which just would not seat fully forward. I pressed lightly on the grip to see which part underneath was offering resistance, then very carefully using a small abrasive bit began removing wood from the inside of the grip, always taking note of the thickness of the wood so I wouldn't blow out through the outside of the grip - ruining them. I finally got the right grip to seat, then began the same process with the left grip. To those who know the P88, the left side has most of the levers, etc., that protrude, so this task was particularly painstaking on that side of the gun.

When I finally got the grips to seat, I admired their appearance on the gun, snapped a quick pic to send to a couple friends, then checked the pistol for function. Not even close. The slide wouldn't lock back on an empty magazine. Remove grip. Remove more wood from an already depleted stock. Reinstall. Not yet. Repeat. Over and over.

This process went on for three hours total before I gave up for the evening with a moderate level of success. The slide now locks back, the slide release works, but a second movement of the slide release lever will not ( a'la P5) de-cock the hammer. I seem to be 98% there, and I'm debating whether I'm going to go further with this for the sake of the de-cocking function (which I never use) and risk terminal injury to the grips, as well as total loss of sanity!

I want to be clear that this post in no way implies that the product is inferior, as I can appreciate how difficult it must be to create grips that are this delicate, but for this customer, the grips were not "done," as significant fitting was necessary in order to first, attach them to my gun, and second, to have the gun function properly after attachment.

AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Search tags for this page
grips4u

grips4u.com

p88 grips
p88 walnut grips
sse walther p88

walther p5c wood grips

walther p88 compact grips

walther p88 slide release

walther p88wood grips

Click on a term to search for related topics.