Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Supporting Member

AoxoMoxoA .22
Sponsored Links
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Unfortunately the Star 30M is no longer made, but it was a marvelous gun, much stronger and more durable than a P88. I have one that fired a recorded 105,000 rounds. No P88 ever made was capable of that.
Whether a P88 is capable of that or not, there are not many folks out there who would have the time or money to fire or fund 105,000 rounds of 9mm...
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
Supporting Member

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine View Post
I appreciate the feedback. Yes, it is the gun at KTP in Maine. I have a P5 which I just picked up and I love it. I had not considered the P88 until I saw this one at the shop.
Did you p/u the other P5 they had - the one for $695?

As to the P88, if you can afford it, you won't be sorry. It's a fantastic pistol, different than the P5, but just as rewarding to shoot. Not likely to lose value either, as there are fewer of them. Variety is the spice of life...
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #13

Parabellus .22
Mike is no doubt correct on all counts here but let me throw in my $.02 adjusted for inflation.
You already have a P5 so that base is covered. It's a great gun and it is the one with which I my wife as her bedside gun. For me the P99 AS .40S&W is on the nightstand. However, if that P88 calls out to you and your fingers fit comfortably around it as mine do then by all means get it while you can. If you plan to shoot 100,000 rounds at today's prices then find a Star for that. If you get tired of your P88 or just don't like it after all you should be able to get your money back plus interest as long as you take care of it while you own it. My P88 is my favorite shooter and my favorite Walther.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
- Thomas Jefferson
Parabellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA View Post
Whether a P88 is capable of that or not, there are not many folks out there who would have the time or money to fire or fund 105,000 rounds of 9mm...
A lot of people chipped in. Monitoring a rental gun at a public range is a pretty good way to endurance-test a handgun.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
Supporting Member

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
A lot of people chipped in. Monitoring a rental gun at a public range is a pretty good way to endurance-test a handgun
I'd say so...

Until Andyd's and your post, I was not aware of the Star 30M. In looking it up, there are a few similarities, appearance-wise to the P88. The shapes of the ejector and trigger guard are a couple that stand out.

Looks like a nice gun to own.
Might have to jot that one down on my list.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #16

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA View Post
I'd say so...

Until Andyd's and your post, I was not aware of the Star 30M. In looking it up, there are a few similarities, appearance-wise to the P88. The shapes of the ejector and trigger guard are a couple that stand out.

Looks like a nice gun to own.
Might have to jot that one down on my list.

More important than appearances are technical factors. The inverted long rails of the 30M are the same that the SIG P210 uses. It is a recipee for accuracy.

Strangely the first Star 30M that I shot was a rental gun in California, it was 23 years ago and I kept the target for years.

About round counts; I have too many guns to reach over 100,000 with most. I have one Glock past 60,000 and a S&W 22A past 100,000. I fully well realize that I have multiples of the guns value invested in rounds sent downrange but that does not belittle the built quality and accuracy potential of the Star 30M.

It isn't just that the 30M is no longer produces, Star went belly up and spare parts are kind of very hard to come by. Getting decent grips would need to bring out the woodchuck in me
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #17

ColKlink .22
Decent P88s don't grow on trees, though not hard to find if patient. My only concern would be the wear, at $975 it needs to be decent though a little honest wear is certainly OK.
P88s have a rep for being fragile, I've owned one for years and shoot it regularly, burning through the mags when I do! If your hands are very small you may find it uncomfortable as the grip is very wide compared to modern and especially polymer framed guns it's a monster, you'll hear a lot of complaints about that. I have small hands, not tiny, & it fits me fine but I grew up w/"widebody" pistols and am not that into new stuff so maybe I've just adapted. The controls are a wonder, nothing really better IMHO. Mine is extremely accurate, the sights are great as well. I have a number of handguns and have shot many more- though never a 210(- and find the P88 to be among the best, for what it's worth.
Keep in mind a NIB/LNIB P88 can be had between $1250, if lucky or patient and $1800 w/a large number selling at $1450. Very low SN's will often command higher prices and there were a few minor design changes along the way as well. Of any potential problem areas I'm not qualified to say. For $975 it had better have the box/ect and hopefully 15rd mags vs the oft seen 10rd mags, if not offer $875 and maybe go $900 if it's really nice- for that kind of money it'd make a great carry gun/etc.
Of note, it seems a certain Bersa (I think..?) I saw recently at the local gun shop was definite know off of the P88, virtually identical in control/shape/function, just a lot uglier!
Lastly; The P88c. I hear a lot of praise for the gun here but have hated the two I've owned- I had to keep one for the collection but never shoot it whereas I just bought three new extra mags for my P88. IMO an inaccurate POS!
Good Luck,
J
ronin11 likes this.
ColKlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #18

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Did anyone here follow the prices on P88 magazines? I remember that they were $125 even before the 1994 ban went into effect.

Used ones probably never show up ...
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's one reason why someone figured out a way to convert Beretta 92 mags to work in the P88, IIRC. Seems that we've run a few threads on the topic through the years. Here's one from three years ago:

Beretta mags in a P88

Not sure what drove the mags to thos prices, though. We'd have to check with Earl.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88

Search tags for this page
korth revolver price list
price list for p5 and p88 walther pistols
price of p5 and p88
walther p88 compare p5 values

walther p88 price

walther p88 value

what year was p88 built
Click on a term to search for related topics.