Walther Forums banner

I love my P5

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MGMike 
#1 ·
I went over to the range today to test out my "new" Colt .25 and threw the P5 into the bag. I still can't get over how sweet the P5 shoots. I don't think I've ever liked a pistol more. The little Colt shot well too and will make an excellent pocket BUG.

#2 ·
Love(Trust)

Jimbo:

That sounds like something I've said, but then I probably have. Over the years I've owned and sold a lot of different handguns. Simply put, I've just never had a handgun that is as quick to draw, acquire the target, shoot accurately and re-acquire the target, as a Walther P5.

For me its total trust, to bet my life on a handgun, I'll choose the P5.

Osage

#3 ·
P-5, as the philosopher Kenny Rogers said it " She's close enough to perfect for me."There are 3 additions that would have improved upon her for me ,1] stainless, 2] higher capacity magazine ,3] button release mag.That is why I want a P-5c ,one step closer to perfection.ayb

#4 ·
Did any body else see the you tube video where the guy takes the heel release from a P-38 and puts it on the P-5 then it will take P-38 magazines unaltered?The reason the engineers put the little ear on it was to prevent accidental magazine release, has anyone here ever had that problem with their P-38 ?ayb

#6 ·
That is a backyard hack fix.

There is still the issue of the different lengths of the magazines that is NOT addressed by simply using the P38 mag catch.

The P5 mag catch serves two purposes, one, to retain the magazine, and two, to limit how far it can be inserted into the mag well.

The longer P38/P1 mags can be inserted too far into the pistol if done forcefully, and there is the possibility of damaging the pistol.

#8 ·
The magazine catch system of the P5 is the only thing I would've changed in this otherwise purrrrrrfect pistol. They should've left it exactly the same as the P.38 and retained magazine interchangeability. I understand P5's tab catch with the recessed release is supposed to prevent the magazine from dislodging from bumping the heel of the pistol, but it makes clean magazine insertion into the frame impossible. Instead, one has to finesse the magazine in by consciously angling the magazine just so in order to make it up & over the tab. After that, the spine of the magazine must drag against a spring-loaded catch tab until it falls into the slot at the bottom of the mag and locks in place... this will inevitably wear down the tip of the tab and cause scratches to form in the bluing of the magazines.

With a little practice, you can do it without too much fuss. However, first-time users of the P5 or those unfamiliar with the design inevitably stumble with magazine insertion.

-Pilotsteve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.