Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #11

blue ridge reef .22
Sponsored Links
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR. View Post
Umarex is the name found on a series of CO2 pellet pistols. Since they aren't firearms, they aren't made to the levels of sturdiness as would be found on a typical firearm. Many feel (me included) that the P22 is not made as well or is as sturdy as a typical handgun.
I'll have 30-35,000 rounds on my first P22 by summer's end. Between my own practice and the boy's, that little pistol takes tons of abuse and never a mechanical malfunction. Get one made in the past 3 years and it should hold up to anything you put it through.
blue ridge reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #12

frankjg .22
My P22 sn L1836XX Slide stamped Carl Walther Ulm/DE Made in Germany and has the Eagle over N stamp of Ulm the proof mark

Frank
Walther P22
Walther P99AS
Walther PPS
frankjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjg View Post
My P22 sn L1836XX Slide stamped Carl Walther Ulm/DE Made in Germany and has the Eagle over N stamp of Ulm the proof mark

Frank
That's interesting. The two P22s that I own both have the Kolm proofmark. Is yours a newer model, perhaps? Mine are at least four years old.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #14

frankjg .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
That's interesting. The two P22s that I own both have the Kolm proofmark. Is yours a newer model, perhaps? Mine are at least four years old.

Mine has a DOM of AK or 2007

All the Walther guns I have are marked Carl Walther Ulm/DE Made in Germany and have the Eagle over N proof mark of Ulm .

Frank
Walther P22
Walther P99AS
Walther PPS
frankjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #15

blue ridge reef .22
Mine (AK) is marked Ulm/Do... weird.
blue ridge reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #16

Pilotsteve .22
Interesting thread

This thread is very interesting. I've often wondered about this very subject myself, not that it really matters but just for the curiosity of the whole thing. I've asked a couple of dealers and they've all told me the P22 is in fact made by Walther. There is absolutely no evidence printed, stamped, or molded into the P22 that might indicate it's made by Umarex. And now we've got a couple of representatives of Walther that all say that it is, in fact, made by them. But what of the proofing marks?

Here are the marks on my girls' P22:

We see the shield with the three crowns - the Cologne proofmark. The AK signifies the date of manufacture - 09 or 2009. DE of course means Deutschland or Germany. And the "Eagle over N" mark (which appears on her P22 in three different places) signifies the definitive nitro proofing mark of Ulm.

I have found no evidence otherwise that this pistol is made by anyone other than Walther. In fact, the only pistol which currently bears the Walther banner and is definitely made by another is (sadly) the current version of the PPK made (sadly) by Smith & Wesson (sadly). To me at least, I believe this is a Walther-made pistol. Sure, Umarex may "own" them, but I feel it rolls from the Walther factory.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #17

Cokeman .22
Mine also says Carl Walther Ulm/DE Made in Germany and has the Eagle over N stamp. It looks exactly like the one above except that is says AH.
LMT Std 16
Mossberg 500A
Kahr P380
Henry H001Y
Winchester 12
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
Mossberg 500B
Marlin 336Y
Cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #18

Makaddict .22
maybe the question to be ask is "Where in Germany are they made?" No Walthers I own have the Koln proof mark except for the P22 and PK380 both are suspect to be Umarex produced. The Barrels could be made in Ulm and the rest in Koln.They are definately not the Quality of the P99 or PPS
PK380
Makaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
The fact that Uncut has personally visited the Walther plant, has seen the P99 and PPS in production, and has found no evidence in Ulm that the P22, PK380, or SP22 were being made onsite says a great deal, I think. We can argue the point until the cows come home, I suppose, but Makaddict is correct: The difference in quality between the P99 and the P22 is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #20

Pilotsteve .22
All things considered, it doesn't really matter all that much in the end. The P22 is what it is and nothing more. It's an inexpensive .22 "plinker" that's designed to have fun with at the range or out in a field with some soda cans on a fence. I don't see any problems with the quality of it for what it's designed for and I've never had any real problems with it. It shoots magazines of ammunition down the barrel with near 100% reliability, my girl can shoot it with frightening accuracy, and she likes it. That's what ultimately matters in the end. It's hers, and she likes it. She has fun with it and to me, it has accomplished its goals perfectly.

So I'm glad they're made by Umarex in a way. Thank God they're not made by Smith & Wesson under license...

-Pilotsteve
ronin11 likes this.
Pilotsteve is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
made by umarex germany
p22 umarex
umarex owns walther

umarex p22

umarex walther p22

walther p22 made in germany

what does umarex make
where is the walther p22 made

who makes the walther p22

who makes walther p22

who owns umarex

who owns walther firearms

Click on a term to search for related topics.