P22 guide rod spring - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Kallekula .22
P22 guide rod spring

Hi everyone! i own a P22Q and i did all of the mods from p22 bible except the one with the breechblock. and i haven't changed for a volquartsen extractor yet but i will. I have made the breechblock mod that includes the safety bar mod if you understand what i mean. and now the p22 slide is really smooth. BUT i have problems get the slide cycle rearwards because of to weak ammo i guess. and since i live in sweden i buy ammo which is under 1100 fps because its more than half the price of supersonic ammo.

so my question now is have anyone tried to shorten the guide rod spring? to make the slide little easier when going rearwards.

or those the tandemcross captured spring it little easier for the slide?

Anyone have any advise?

sorry for my bad english, I'm a swede!
Kallekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #2

1917-1911M .38
I've tried everything including cutting coils off the recoil spring until there was not enough energy to close the slide and hold it closed. I also install an O ring on the guide rod so that it will act as a buffer as I cause the slide to fly rearward faster. What slows the slide down is compressing the recoil spring, cocking the hammer and associated drag between various surfaces.

Snapper ammo is the short cure.....but if you have problems finding more powerful ammo then other measures are in order. The breech block mod has more to do with freeing the slide up to move forward....not rearward. A common problem with the P22 is that the hammer creates so much drag on the slide that the fairly weak .22 recoil spring cannot strip a round from the mag and bounce the hammer face tip over the gap between the rear of the breech block and safety drum.

Cutting coils does allow the slide to fly rearward a bit faster, does seem to create more rebound off the take down lever but lessens the amount of energy required to strip a round and fully close the slide. The extractor nose rides up the outside of the chamber cut for it and if the fully extended spring isn't strong enough the extractor will push the slide rearward just a bit which will cause the chambered round to not be fully seated. This can cause two problems.....one the round will give when struck so you will get light strikes and of course a round not fully chambered can blow out.

I find snapper ammo and dry, powdered moly powder to be of real benefit to the cycling of the P22. The 5" versions are less picky as compared to the 3.4" model. Just stick with the stock spring and use a guide to install it. It is very simple to install if a guide is inserted inside the spring to keep it from kinking. 1911

Oh yes, welcome to Walther Forums.....

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 01-09-2017 at 12:21 PM.
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #3

Kallekula .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I've tried everything including cutting coils off the recoil spring until there was not enough energy to close the slide and hold it closed. I also install an O ring on the guide rod so that it will act as a buffer as I cause the slide to fly rearward faster. What slows the slide down is compressing the recoil spring, cocking the hammer and associated drag between various surfaces.

Snapper ammo is the short cure.....but if you have problems finding more powerful ammo then other measures are in order. The breech block mod has more to do with freeing the slide up to move forward....not rearward. A common problem with the P22 is that the hammer creates so much drag on the slide that the fairly weak .22 recoil spring cannot strip a round from the mag and bounce the hammer face tip over the gap between the rear of the breech block and safety drum.

Cutting coils does allow the slide to fly rearward a bit faster, does seem to create more rebound off the take down lever but lessens the amount of energy required to strip a round and fully close the slide. The extractor nose rides up the outside of the chamber cut for it and if the fully extended spring isn't strong enough the extractor will push the slide rearward just a bit which will cause the chambered round to not be fully seated. This can cause two problems.....one the round will give when struck so you will get light strikes and of course a round not fully chambered can blow out.

I find snapper ammo and dry, powdered moly powder to be of real benefit to the cycling of the P22. The 5" versions are less picky as compared to the 3.4" model. Just stick with the stock spring and use a guide to install it. It is very simple to install if a guide is inserted inside the spring to keep it from kinking. 1911

Oh yes, welcome to Walther Forums.....

Okey Thanks for your experienced tips!

the first ammo i tried is a well known god quality swedish brand called NORMA. it has a 40 grs led projectile traveling at 1066 fps and that didn't work at all.

and then i tried another ammo which is called "Topshot competition" and has a 40 grs led projectile traveling at 1070 fps and it went absolutely flawless!!

And the cost of the topshot here in sweden is 30% less than the NORMA!!

i think i stick with Topshot...

1 package 50 rounds NORMA= 50 SEK = 5,50 USD
1 package 50 rounds Topshot= 35 SEK = 3,85 USD

and by the 1917-1911M thanks for all your help so far i think i have read all of your mods on the P22!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

1917-1911M .38
You are welcome. A .22 isn't all that powerful to begin with and the velocities listed on the box are of little use because they correspond to much longer test barrels. There is a site called ByTheInch that actually compares the velocity of several popular ammo brands and the test pistol for the 5" or the 3.4" version is a P22. What you will see though that as the barrel gets shorter...velocity and energy drop.

So, the real test is to try different ammo and read what you can on what othre's have learned. The light weight pistol benefits (requires) a tight grip, and ammo powerful enough to cycle the slide. I've watched slo motion videos of the P22 and there is a noticeable slowdown in rearward movement of the slide when it is cocking the hammer. The recoil spring doesn't seem to slow it that much....but the hammer sure appears to do so.

Target ammo is usually slower, more consistent and more accurate....but the most powerful stuff it isn't. Unfortunately the P22 requires a bit of energy to make it function properly. As the recoil spring weakens a bit and the hammer spring it might be more forgiving. The 5" barrel causes the pistol to function better. 1911
Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #5

dan323 .22
I use CCI mini mag and they run through just fine. I also have used Remington Golden bullet , they also work fine. I was told only to use high velocity ammo and there won't be any issues. So far that has held true. Today I just ordered the Makershot magazine extender to increase the load to 15 rounds. This will be interesting.
dan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38

Light years ago I was discussing the P22 at RFC and didn't like the looks of the 5" version with the problematic stabilizer.....I wanted a full 5" slide out of aluminum. One of the guys there with Photoshop skills laid out what I was looking for...complete with target sights. Note the three slots....10 years ahead of Walther actually designing some for the pistol.

Walther didn't bite.....but Cabela did. Someone there grabbed our picture and put it in their Christmas catalog. A Member was in one of their stores and saw it pictured in their sales flyer.....he immediately marched back to the gun counter and demanded one. He had em really stirred up. He posted a picture of the ad......we got a big laugh out of that one. 1917
Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #7

Kallekula .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post

Light years ago I was discussing the P22 at RFC and didn't like the looks of the 5" version with the problematic stabilizer.....I wanted a full 5" slide out of aluminum. One of the guys there with Photoshop skills laid out what I was looking for...complete with target sights. Note the three slots....10 years ahead of Walther actually designing some for the pistol.

Walther didn't bite.....but Cabela did. Someone there grabbed our picture and put it in their Christmas catalog. A Member was in one of their stores and saw it pictured in their sales flyer.....he immediately marched back to the gun counter and demanded one. He had em really stirred up. He posted a picture of the ad......we got a big laugh out of that one. 1917

HAHA thats hilarious! I've seen the picture before and thought that it was looking great! but i didn't know this was the story behind it! if whalter would fabricate this modell i would buy it direct.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22