Which Suppressor To Buy? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Capt. Dixie .22
Which Suppressor To Buy?

I'm going to get a suppressor for my P22. What you guys using who have 'em?
Capt. Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

1917-1911M .38
I don't have one.....I have no excuse for not having one.....should have had one 15 years ago. SilencerCo. SS Sparrow for me when I get one. What you want is one that you can disassemble and clean......there are various suppressor tests around the net and some on the P22 specifically. Good luck. Too bad they take so long to get.....I want to just go down and pick one off the shelf, screw it on and go shooting. All that paperwork and wait is what has stopped me. Still not a very good excuse though. Oh yeah....you don't want one that is so fat it blocks your sights. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #3

Capt. Dixie .22
Thanks for the reply. I have a .45 suppressor, but the idea of the "silence is golden" with a .22 can has me really stoked to get one. I hate the wait, but probably going to be awesome. I'll check out the Sparrow. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

BondsWalther .22
When I get my PPQ 22 next year, I plan on getting the Element 2 suppressor for it.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/ELEMENT2_p_437.html

https://youtu.be/91GygnGqkY8
BondsWalther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

BondsWalther .22
Do you need to do anything special to get a suppressor? I have a CCW permit.

Holy crap.... I just started digging into what is involved! Wow.... $200 tax stamp to begin with.

Last edited by BondsWalther; 12-20-2016 at 04:29 PM.
BondsWalther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38
Then there is a 6 to 9 month wait. You purchase the suppressor so you can send in the serial number.....you don't actually take possession of the device until everything is cleared, approved and paid for. Then you will need to purchase a thread adapter for the front of the P22 or other threaded barrels. These pistols are not threaded directly for the suppressor. Adapters are about $35, they screw onto the existing barrel, replacing the barrel nut and holding the sleeve/barrel tight. The end of the adapter has the correct threads for the suppressor. There is usually a small screw on thread protector to protect the exposed threads on the adapter when the suppressor is not installed.

Then...you need to determine the method of ownership. It is legal to allow other folks to shoot your suppressed pistol as long as you are present. It is illegal to let them borrow it. Unless you use another form of ownership......like a Corporation....then friends and family can be added as lawful shooters and have the device in their possession....but, the law varies from State to State and some States do not allow suppressors.

Too dang complicated......but, one of the LGSs here has a lawyer all ready and willing to set you up with whatever form of ownership you want for
$ 125 which is probably as inexpensive as it gets if you are wanting something other than single party ownership. Then you have to buy some bullets. It never ends....... M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:21 PM   #7

ed4four .22
I have a Silencerco Sparrow and Innovative Arms Apex S. They are both monocore suppressors the Innovative Arms I like a little better than the Sparrow. The sparrow is just a tad smaller in diameter but doesn't come with a tool to take the end cap off. The Sparrow is 5 pieces(threaded end cap, core, 2 piece shell and outer tube) the Apex S is 2 pieces(outer tube and core) and has a tool to help take down. Both are rated to 5.7x28 cartridge.

Hope this helps.
ed4four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:09 AM   #8
Supporting Member

PPS1980 .22
Have a Sparrow for my Mk II. Nice and cleaning is a necessity. Buy it from your range if you can. You can use it on their premises until BATFE gets around to issuing your tax stamp. 8 months and still waiting.
...extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! ...moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!
Barry Goldwater
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Capt. Dixie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4four View Post
I have a Silencerco Sparrow and Innovative Arms Apex S. They are both monocore suppressors the Innovative Arms I like a little better than the Sparrow. The sparrow is just a tad smaller in diameter but doesn't come with a tool to take the end cap off. The Sparrow is 5 pieces(threaded end cap, core, 2 piece shell and outer tube) the Apex S is 2 pieces(outer tube and core) and has a tool to help take down. Both are rated to 5.7x28 cartridge.

Hope this helps.
Good stuff. Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #10

Capt. Dixie .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
Have a Sparrow for my Mk II. Nice and cleaning is a necessity. Buy it from your range if you can. You can use it on their premises until BATFE gets around to issuing your tax stamp. 8 months and still waiting.
Great idea; just no ranges anywhere I know of who sell suppressors though.
Take care and Merry Christmas!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22