Best ammo? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

lbking49 .22
Best ammo?

My husband bought me a P22. We went to the range today and I shot well for my first time shooting the gun. However, the gun jammed 3x and he wants me to come on the forum and find out the best ammo for this gun. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
lbking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #2

Darkstar888 .22
Best bet is CCI minimags. The P22 is usually finicky but minimags seem to work in them all.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #3

1917-1911M .38
We need more information on exactly what the pistol is doing.....we've seen it all but what exactly does jamming mean? Welcome. We have a lot of advice and if we can't figure it out we will make something up. M1911
searcher451 likes this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
1. As 1911 suggests, more information is alays better.

2. This thread ...

Hands down the best ammunition for your P22

... will help greatly with the ammo issue, if that's all it is. (It would help to know what sort of ammo you were shooting initially that kept jamming.)

3. Nice to have you with us. Welcome.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #5

1917-1911M .38
Glen sent me a new field dark earth I think it's called slide to replace the one on my old, old 2006 P22 parts pistol. I wanted the thicker Q model slide and it fit just right on the old frame. Now I have a black Q model stabilizer and a Q style FDE slide and an old grip that has been filed on, additional slots cut in it......but, it all works fine. Almost....

The new slide has all new parts in it.....stock breech block, etc. and guess what.... it hangs up sometimes with Federals and Winchester...even with the five inch barrel....rearward motion is fine as usual...but the recoil spring can't overcome some of the friction on the forward movement unless more powerful ammo is being used. My theory there is that there is more rebound off the take down lever with more powerful ammo.....not to mention bouncing off the O ring that I installed.

I'll sort that breech block out one day when I get through sorting out stuff for old Crete. Started a thread over at Rimfire on the page where everyone hangs out regarding recommendations for a creep free and stable pull weight trigger....there doesn't seem to be any real gunsmiths there yet...but I came across a most excellent fellow at a Ruger forum while searching sear/hammer engagement. A gunsmith that went into details I had never considered.

lbking49, the P22 benefits from a bit of break in. You might leave the slide locked back, pistol unloaded, while not shooting. And while you don't need to really worry about what ammo you are using, if you try a few rounds of CCI Mini Mags or Remington Golden bullets, then try some Federal and Winchester ammo you will feel a noticeable difference in pop. The first two slap the slide back with authority....the second two...not so much. Plated rounds will keep you barrel cleaner longer, Remington Thunderbolts have a wax of some kind on them and are pretty notorious for leading up the inside of your barrel. That lead is hard to get out out too.......takes a lot of elbow grease. I'd recommend staying with plated...either copper or brass wash. If you still have too many problems let us know exactly what is going on and what ammo you are using. One other thing....the P22 is a light weight pistol and must.....I repeat, must be held firmly so it does not "give" with the recoil. If it and plenty other semi auto pistols are not held firmly, wrist locked...movement of the pistol will absorb the required blowback energy required to properly eject the spent case and fully cycle the slide. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #6

lbking49 .22
thanks everyone

My husband bought the mini mags and they worked great. Out of 100 rounds, only two failures. Thanks again!!
searcher451 likes this.
lbking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #7

tattooo .22
I just picked up a new OD green P22 yesterday and ran well over 100 Remington thunderbolts from a 500 round bulk box without so much ss a hiccup....
I was sceptical after reading mixed reviews if she would be picky but seem to have got lucky.....
tattooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
dsk

dsk .22
Quote:
My husband bought the mini mags and they worked great. Out of 100 rounds, only two failures. Thanks again!!
Once the pistol has been broken in and as long as you keep it reasonably clean and lubed malfunctions with the Mini-Mags should be at or near zero. My P22 often misbehaves with most brands of .22 ammo out there, but it usually runs perfect with the Mini-Mags. I also have a cheap $55 Jennings .22 pistol that runs nearly 100% as long as Mini-Mags are used. If only the other .22 ammo manufacturers out there would copy Mini-Mags and incorporate the same QC the world would be a better place.
dsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Wildtoad .22
Concur 100% on the mini mags. My PPK in 22 was also very picky with bargain stuff. Have also had good results with Remington Golden Bullets. Still get a few fail to fire but rare. Best of luck with your new gun.

Walther PPK .380
Walther PPK/S .22
Henry Goldenboy .22
Wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:42 AM   #10

dan323 .22
Well i have used CCI, Remington Golden Bullet and today I used Browning 40 grain HP. They all worked great.
dan323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22