And another one bites the dust.......slide failure - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #1

1917-1911M .38
And another one bites the dust.......slide failure

Drove up to Monteagle, TN yesterday for a day of shooting, eating, coffee drinking and more shooting. Had a great time. So there I was, pulled out a P22 I had done a little fluff and buff on. Lubed it up, put some moly on the sear, 2 lb trigger pull, absolutely no creep....almost target grade....20% anyway. Put the 5" barrel on it and the ugly stabilizer. I've bought five or so of these and fooled around with them over the years with little issue other than stoppages. So I proudly, well, as proudly as you can which isn't all that much.........handed the pistol to Pilkguns to get his opinion on it. This is the pistol that will fire 5/8" groups at 25M, er, would fire I should say.

Now before I get into that.....Mr. Pikguns has some high end stuff we were shooting from air to target standards with full wrap around grips. Crete, give it up.....these real olympic grade guns are in a league by themselves. And one of the interesting guns to fire was an old MK I that was internally suppressed. It was so quiet you would see holes appear in the paper or hear the gong ring at 85 yds and wonder had you even really fired.

So I drag out the ole P22 and ask that he try this. Scott looks it over and says ok......fires one shot and asks is it supposed to do that. Do what I ask?????....then I see the slide is entirely gone and laying in the dirt. I've never been able to break one but it snapped off as ugly as you please right behind the muzzle cup. Fortunately it didn't hit him in the face.

I'm not sure I even want another slide for it.....time to move on. This was an old pistol with the original slide. The break is entirely clean, top to bottom. It snapped off entirely with the one shot. M1911

1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-09-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Herr Walther Unproven
Arnsberg strikes again...

Glad no one was hurt.

Made in the U.S. of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Badger54 .22
Good grief! It was a blessing no one was injured. I would hate to hear of someone getting a slide to their face.
Badger54 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

SpaceGunner .22
Looks like an old style slide. Pretty common from what I've seen with them.
Beretta 92A1
WW SRC AR15
SpaceGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #5

CreekerShooter .22
Broken slide

What kind of ammo is being used in these guns? The owners' manual clearly states that hypervelocity ammo such as stingers and velociters should not be used. They are not only more powerful than high velocity ammo, but also slightly longer overall than a standard long rifle cartridge. I have several P22s and have sold many at the gun store/range where I work as an instructor and range officer. I have never seen a P22 failure in the many years I have been there. Once broken in and kept clean and lubricated, they cycle flawlessly with standard and high velocity ammo.
Joker18 likes this.
CreekerShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekerShooter View Post
slightly longer overall than a standard long rifle cartridge.
None of the Stingers, or the hyper Aguila ammo I used in my P22 were any longer than bulk, store-bought .22lr....as measured by a digi caliper.

Hmmm....

And all this aside, the P22 is the best selling .22lr pistol. Kinda like GM....crap, but people keep buying them.
dsk likes this.

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekerShooter View Post
What kind of ammo is being used in these guns? I have never seen a P22 failure in the many years I have been there. Once broken in and kept clean and lubricated, they cycle flawlessly with standard and high velocity ammo.
Well, pay a little closer attention. I loaded it with Remington Golden bullets. Broken slides are and old, old story....nothing new here. I've followed this pistol since new.....just about the entire history of the pistol is contained in threads, stickies and FAQs here and at Rimfire Central. Plenty of broken slides. They either break exactly where mine did or they break along the left side at the slide catch notch. I've broken a right side frame (cast zinc also) where the metal is very, very thin. Crete has broken one in the exact same place. A round with a rim blowout rips off the top of the slide. Threads on that too.

Beside the fact that the slide can break is that there is nothing to keep the rear part from flying off the rear of the pistol and possibly hitting the shooter in the face. This too has been reported. Some owners have noticed a crack before it broke entirely and stopped shooting. The chief Walther engineer is still considering an aluminum slide for these. And I was told the P22 is tested to20K rounds with CCI Stingers. I think the hyper velocity rounds are too strong, cost too much and aren't accurate. This pistol has never fired anything but target ammo, Golden bullets, Federal bulk, Winchester bulk etc. No stingers or velocitors.

I had the 5" barrel on with the stabilizer but the stabilizer was not hitting the slide. The 5" does create a bit more blow back energy and is pretty accurate. I've bought five or six. This is the first to break in over 100,000 rounds. But, no other .22 I've ever owned has broken.....especially like this. I believe Crete has broken two or three slides. The pistol as all Walthers has a lifetime warranty....but a slide to the face is still pretty scary. M1911
Old 10-11-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
... The chief Walther engineer is still considering an aluminum slide for these. ...
After how many years? What does this suggest?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #9

Herr Walther Unproven
That they never considered it a problem that a slide could end up in someone's face.

Made in the U.S. of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #10

1917-1911M .38
That no aluminum slides are in the plans for this pistol.....that's what. M1911

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22