1917-1911M .38
Crete's thread that should be. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #22

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishmyp22wasaglock View Post
not what i would call drastic, but yes i did something to it. i just took it apart and didn't put the mag safety spring back in upon re-assembly (part #24, the double spring located near the trigger)......chambered a round and then dropped the mag, it fired every time. i tested it upright, upside down, canted left, canted right...after 6 or 7 test fires, i was satisfied that it would shoot without a magazine.

any ideas on the extractor or ejection problems?
Oh we have ideas......lots of ideas. For one when you remove the mag safety foot and spring your magazine will lock fine, your pistol will fire but the magazine is loose and flops about. This could impact feed. Removal of the safety has been done 100's of times over the years and most people put them back in. I do however remove the inner spring. The device works fine with the larger spring and that makes mag insertion easier, less wear on the mag release, etc.

I don't know if it is the primer, the lead composition, the powder or what but similar "on the box" velocity and energy" data does not match real world shooting. I linked a site called by the inch recently which recorded velocity and the P22 is one of the pistols used. This measured velocity and energy of a number of rounds out of 2" to 24" barrels. I think I put the formula for calculating energy in there somewhere. All I know is RGBs kick like mini mags and both work nearly 100%. I rarely get a dud RGB contrary to other folks. I do get some in all ammo. I even have been buying some ammo that should be pretty hot.....and isn't out of the short barrel. So I don't know the answer to why this or that. As Searcher posted...different ammo is what it is....unfortunately we aren't able to purchase prezackly what we would choose these days but it is getting better.

When I get my new parts I'm thinking I will see how many coils need to be removed to make some of this weaker ammo work 100%. I cut too many off the last challenge. Worked fine for getting down there where some pretty wimpy rounds will cycle and regular hv ammo stills works fine. I haven't been able to figure out how to put two clipped coils back on the spring. I'm also thinking that a shorter spring will make the pistol jump more so everything is a trade off. I expect real target pistols are tuned for certain ammo. Crete's big ole wobbly contraption sure seems to wobble a lot......but the man can still shoot somehow. Back to your issues later.....gotta go help with the womenz stuff.....translated...plant flowers, mow lawn, get out the leaf blower, neaten up the 3.5 acres. Shoot later when the womenz are distracted eating those little cakes and stuff. M1911
Old 10-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #23

wishmyp22wasaglock .22
Thank you very much for the advice M1911, and thank you for the time and effort put into the p22 bible. I'll replace the larger mag safety spring and test the new ammo when it comes in.

Last edited by wishmyp22wasaglock; 10-07-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: my spelling mistake was bothering me
wishmyp22wasaglock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #24

wishmyp22wasaglock .22
i replaced the larger mag safety spring, and tested it with 4 types of ammo:

Winchester plated HP 36gr:
30 rounds, overall decent ejection, but a few were short and at different angles, it failed to chamber a round a few times, but no stovepipes or FTE, about 80% functionality......much better than the out of the box performance before the mods, and a whole new pistol compared to when the mag safety spring was out.

Remington 36gr HP "golden bullet":
30 rounds, good ejection, 100% functionality

CCI Velocitor 40gr HP:
20 rounds, good ejection, 100% functionality, recoil felt nice and solid, i felt like i was sending something much more substantial downrange....this is my favorite ammo so far

CCI Stinger 32gr HP:
20 rounds, good ejection, 100% functionality, recoil was a little more noticeable than the winchester, and RGB, but didn't feel as good as the velocitor.

I learned that the VQ ejector works fine. Ammo does make a difference (too bad i have about 1500 rounds of the winchester.....anyone want to trade?), and i learned that the mag safety spring definitely affects how the pistol feeds....unfortunately......

I'm going to order a bunch of RGB and Velocitor, and then call it good enough for now....thanks for all the help
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #25

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
I haven't tried the Velocitor yet, I missed out the other day when wal mart here had it. I didn't feel like dragging my sick 4 year old mini-me through the store so ole dad could get some supplies for his gun, as my son refers to it.

I'm also going to peen my stock extractor ever so slightly. I'm still getting self-head shots from my newly emptied brass. Me no likey.

One other thing, though this isn't the proper thread. My P22 is a BC code, and looked like it had barely been used when I traded for it. Is there a way to cause it to have a little less effort needed to drop a mag?

(I haven't read the P22 bible...yet, if there is, I'll do the legwork to find that info. Thanks in advance )

pick two..
Thunderbirdsport302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #26

1917-1911M .38
Removing the middle spring from the safety foot is the first step. I then lightly polish the top and bottom of the expanded tabs on the mags. Do not shorten them, just polish so that there is less damage to the bottom of the polymer safety foot from a rough edge and a smoother surface to unlock from the mag lock. 600 grit or 1000 grit emery is what you want to use. Just polish, don't remove material that would make the tabs shorter.

Very careful when peening the Walther new extractor. it can be peened but it require a lot of light strikes otherwise the tip will break off. I have not tried to peen a VQ extractor. I know exactly what should be done with the extractors to correct ejection direction but have no idea how to manufacture extractors. Guess it takes some type of CAD machining contraption. The tighter the tolerance the better the ejection direction. However, the rim cannot bind between the breech face and extractor when sliding into position when released from the magazine. The rim slides in at an angle before squaring up on the face of the breech block.

One day I'm going to give a little study to what could be done to replicate the Walther made S&W M&P .22 breech face which is perfect for extraction and ejection. M1911
Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #27

wishmyp22wasaglock .22
I agree,

Not the he needs anyone to agree, but I just went through it myself for the first time. I broke a extractor on a BD. it was easy
I thought I was Peening light, but I was wrong. The VQ replacement works fine with good ammo.
I removed the inner spring as recommended, and the mags drop fine.

Just my .2
1917-1911M likes this.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #28

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishmyp22wasaglock View Post
I agree,

Not the he needs anyone to agree, but I just went through it myself for the first time. I broke a extractor on a BD. it was easy
I thought I was Peening light, but I was wrong. The VQ replacement works fine with good ammo.
I removed the inner spring as recommended, and the mags drop fine.

Just my .2
My experience also. Less pressure on the mags and release and yet the disconnect safety works 100%. Sure is a tricky little ledge to rest the spring on. Walther.....what were you thinking? Extractors, I broke one too way back and I knew they had to be tapped lightly. I was looking at one I didn't spend much time on as pictured in the, well whatever that thread is I'm working on regarding the M&P nose piece for a P22 and the tip of that extractor needs a little cleaning up. It works fine though. I was successful in peening it rearward just a bit. I have to keep trying this as both my 1DogFish models have gotten away from me....Son has one, Sister the other.....guns too. I haven't tried peening the VQ but it could stand a little tightening up also.....unless we can come up with a M&P nose piece that is easily installed. M1911
Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #29

myron .22
Thumbs up myron is back

Hello again. This is to let you know my P22Q is working fine after using your assistance. I will wait to do anything to the extractor. During some of our visits you said something about repairing a laptop lid problem.(wire from screen to main unit). Could you send me the posts that you told about how you did it. I have an older laptop with the same problem. I can't afford to have it repaired. Thanks for all of your help. Have a "Good'n"!
myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #30

1917-1911M .38
I'll pm you so we don't take this thread entirely off topic. M1911
searcher451 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
bersa extractor
fitting walther extractor
p22 exteactor
p22 extractor
p22 extractor and spring

peening p22 extractor

rimfire breech face
walther model sp22 extractor
walther p22 extraction problems

walther p22 extractor problems

walther sp22 extractor
winchester cartridge ejector images
Click on a term to search for related topics.