WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGMike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Richarddbeck .22
How to clean your Walther P22 / p22Q (video)

Sponsored Links
Most people's first hand gun they buy is a .22 semi automatic. This is a tutorial on how clean your .22 semi automatic pistol. If you stumble onto this forum because you just bought your very first handgun and it happens to be a walther p22... This should be great for you. All handguns are different but this approach will work for all handguns in my opinion.

To those of you who are veterians I would like your feed back on how I clean my P22 and whether or not you have a better way. I'm open to suggestions.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
In my considered opinion, the best way to clean a P22 is to immerse it in hydrochloric acid for about 6-1/2 minutes.

M
Sc0tt likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

WilmingtonNC .22
Haters gonna hate...
The P22 is fun to shoot
WilmingtonNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

Sc0tt .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
In my considered opinion, the best way to clean a P22 is to immerse it in hydrochloric acid for about 6-1/2 minutes.

M

i gotta try that one. it may solve all the failures my P22 is having,
Sc0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
You'll be amazed at what it does to zinc.

Your problems will literally disappear.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #6

1917-1911M .38
I Googled "how to clean a P22" and this thread shows up front and center, WaltherForums.com page one. Were I to read a couple of the comments posted here I'd likely move on and never visit again. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #7

1917-1911M .38
Richard your videos are getting better as you practice and familiarize yourself with the P22. The light is better could be even better. The first thing I like is your mug isn't shown and there isn't a lot of bs for the first three minutes. You cut to the chase. Oh how I wish video makers would learn to cut to the chase.

I clean a bit differently which is neither here nor there as a criticism of your efforts but a couple of comments if you don't mind and this goes for all firearms and especially semi autos. It is likely that when you brush the carbon bits and pieces loose including residual powder that you are blowing it down into tighter tolerance areas regardless of a wet wash or not.

I break my P22 down the same, then I give everything a good spraying with Gunscrubber, reg or synthetic safe or brake cleaner. Whatever the P22 grip is made of will not be damaged. A Ruger grip and any painted finish will immediately be destroyed though so a firearm owner should always check the cleaner in a non conspicuous spot or ask for advice on a Forum like this one. Especially for a specific pistol. I like to wash everything out, clean the stuck on residue and wash out again. I work the hammer back and forth, trigger back and forth, mag release back and forth giving it all a good wash. Then I blow it dry. This includes the firing pin channel and the magazines.

Then I give all of the parts a good spraying with Remington Remoil with teflon. This further cleans out tight spaces, the sear, firing pin channel, pivoting extractor, mag spring and follower, etc. Then I blow the entire pistol dry. Remoil is such a light oil that it does not leave the pistol slippery and restores the nice finish to the polymer grip and metal parts.

Way back I wore out my first P22 way too early, 4,000 rounds using Tetra Gun Grease and Hoppes #9 oil. The unhappy reason, the oil and grease collected spent particles of carbon and dirt, turned into a lapping compound and ground away the metal at the slide grooves and frame rails. A new pistol to play with, digital measurements taken every 500 rounds and dry powdered moly rubbed on friction points eliminated all but cosmetic wear during the next 25K rounds. The finish wear was on the barrel sleeve and could not be measured it was so thin. As an added benefit, the dry pistol stayed much cleaner. On several occasions I sat down with bulk boxes of RGBs and began shooting to see how far the pistol would go before a "firearm" issue. I usually got really sore thumbs and hungry in the 2,500 to 3,000 round range. I was never able to stop the pistol from reliably firing.

On the other hand.....stick in a Winchester or a Federal bulk round....and five of the first 10 might cause a malfunction. That has been my experience regarding cleaning and lubing and lack of wear. Now I might clean at 200 rounds, might be 2,000 rounds. Sometimes just a wipe down as long as the pistol hasn't been riding in my holster while bush hogging and gotten full of dust and dirt. It will still fire reliably...but I don't really like to fire it after a day of dust. Regarding Q tips, take a clean one and with clean fingers wrap it really tight the it will absorb cleaner, oil, moly, etc. and stay put. They are really cheap so when one gets a bit dirty swap ends and then throw it away. You can also buy those patches already cut into 1" squares, you get a million and they are inexpensive also.

Clean pistols function better and last longer whether alloy or steel. Mags too. Break Free on my steel pistols/rifles/shotguns and fancy stuff on the AR. It's a little more particular. And, I've come to the conclusion you can not get the bore 100% clean, doesn't matter how much you clean it. M1911

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 11-12-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #8

Richarddbeck .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
I Googled "how to clean a P22" and this thread shows up front and center, WaltherForums.com page one. Were I to read a couple of the comments posted here I'd likely move on and never visit again. M1911
Well Mr 1917 - 1911M. How do you clean your P22?

Also the acid thing sounds a little scary to me... lol

Last edited by Richarddbeck; 11-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Richarddbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #9

1917-1911M .38
Are you really involved with ultra-hyperspike? If so I'd like to test two of your largest models. I want to hook them to my truck horn to remind texters sitting totally unaware in front of me that the light turned green ten seconds ago. M1911
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Richarddbeck .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Are you really involved with ultra-hyperspike? If so I'd like to test two of your largest models. I want to hook them to my truck horn to remind texters sitting totally unaware in front of me that the light turned green ten seconds ago. M1911
I do all of the industrial design for the HyperSpike product line. My brother in law discovered and patented the technology and I used my mad 3D modeling skills to make a cool looking product. lol Ok I guess that last part is subjective.

There are three of use that work together to come up with new products. They do the science and I do most of the mechanical design, cosmetics, and ergonomics. Ultra-USSI manufactures, markets, and sells our ideas.

I'm gonna try out the products you recommended. I seem to have a decent amount of wear and tear and I think I'm only around 3,000 to 4,000 rounds.

Last edited by Richarddbeck; 11-12-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Richarddbeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
clean walther p22

cleaning a walther p22

cleaning walther p22

how to clean a p22
how to clean a walther 22 semi automatic

how to clean a walther p22

how to clean p22

how to clean walther p22

how to clean walther p22q pistol

walther p22 cleaning

walther p22 cleaning video

walther p22q holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.