Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #11

falfal3 .22
Thumbs up Saiga 410 or 12

Sponsored Links
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Zombie View Post
I would honestly recommend something with a little more. . .diameter. There's no doubt a .22 will stop someone. The question is when. I imagine waiting several minutes or longer for someone to bleed out is seldom an option in self defense. My wife, a very tiny woman, who doesn't work out, loves, and can handle well, a .380. With new SD technology in JHP, they can be nasty little rounds. Get her the heaviest, slowest, round you can find and place a .380 in her hand. It's very light on recoil and still punches a nice size.
I always thought a nice short barrel shotgun would do the job nicely. IMHO.
Steve.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

Rothenfluh .22
First off, I do not claim to be an expert. But I have trained many dozens of women handgun basics as an NRA certified instructor. My point? Let her decide what she wants. Let her try a variety of pistols and let her decide what suits her best. We would all like to have our wives or girlfriends to shoot .357 magnums but this thinking is folly. If she is comfortable and likes to shoot a particular caliber (I don't care if it's a .22 or .25 ACP) in a particular style or brand pistol, then that is what she should use. If she likes it she will want to shoot it. If she wants to shoot it, she will practice. If she practices, she will become proficient.
Ultimately, proficiency. the follow on confidence that comes with proficiency and success are the basis of effective firearm ownership. Again, just my opinion.

R
Old 03-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #13

Michael J .22
I look at it this way: I don't ever want to be shot in the head, even if it is a 22LR. I bet no one on this forum would want that to happen to them, either.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #14

JimBOB .22
Again, I have to agree with Rotherflu. Whatever a person chooses, they need to practice and practice some more, even if the choice is a legal 12 gauge shotgun at 20 feet. So most important is the person needs to enjoy what they are shooting.

I would only use a shotgun if I did not have to leave the room I am in and can be several feet from the doorway. A small person going from room to room wielding a long barrel rifle/shotgun is just asking the badguy to take it away from them.
JimBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

Cokeman .22
My shotgun has a short barrel.
Emptnest likes this.
LMT Std 16
Mossberg 500A
Kahr P380
Henry H001Y
Winchester 12
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
Mossberg 500B
Marlin 336Y
Kahr MK9
Cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #16

Moondew .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_Zombie View Post
I would honestly recommend something with a little more. . .diameter. There's no doubt a .22 will stop someone. The question is when. I imagine waiting several minutes or longer for someone to bleed out is seldom an option in self defense. My wife, a very tiny woman, who doesn't work out, loves, and can handle well, a .380. With new SD technology in JHP, they can be nasty little rounds. Get her the heaviest, slowest, round you can find and place a .380 in her hand. It's very light on recoil and still punches a nice size.
Just if you go this route also avoid the lightest semi autos (polys) as they can be a handfull and snappy (not fun to shoot just like the Charter A)

If not to be used as a CCW, there are a lot of options that are easier for the noobee to learn with.
Moondew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #17

Dirvin .22
I learned to shoot on a P22. Then I moved up. Personally, I like the .380 but can shoot a 9mm just as well. But when I was learning it was the 22 or nothing. It didn't take long, a couple of months before I was comfortable enough to move up to something bigger. If it hadn't been for the P22, I wouldn't have ever learned. Let her get started with the 22. It's better than no gun and she will let you know when she is ready for more power. The next logical step is the PK380 by Walther. It looks,handles and feels pretty much just like the P22. It's an easy transition. Nothing racks like a Walther.
Dirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #18

PatrickinGa .22
We looked at a PK380 for my wife, but neither of us liked the way it racked, it just wasn't smooth, and you had to hold it just right. Too much for someone like her who had never held a gun before.

I use the P22 as plinker/range gun, and for her to get used to one.

When she does, she may never get into 9mm or .45 but there are plenty of options in .25 to .32 caliber in used handguns to something she CAN handle in a semiautomatic.

What people say here that one needs to be able to handle what they use is good advice. The time when someone is in your house is not a time to learn to use a gun.

For HD, most burglars are cowards, and I am not sure that there is anything like the sound of homeowner cocking a .12 ga pump to make the bad guy choose to make a quick exit. If I never see him = okay with me.

For what they cost, I also recommend having a monitored alarm system for your home.
Savage bolt-action .22 (7 shot clip) rifle
Vintage Mossberg 500 12ga pump

I also like to shoot with a Nikon
PatrickinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #19

glt8957 .22
i'm amazed at how many people are complaining about the P22 and while i agree that a larger cal is better, the gun also has to be comfortable for anyone using it to be confident of hitting anything. i know there are issues with earlier versions but the one i bought 3 weeks ago has had 470 rounds through it so far with the only problems coming from off-brand ammo i had. the last 350 rounds have been RGB hollow points without a single FTF or FTE. does anyone have any thoughts on the ability of HPs to stop someone as oppposed to normal range ammo? the person who turned me on to this gun at the gun shop is a swat team member and he said that was what they use for training and some range use, i guess because of the cost and availability of larger ammo. my wife ,who never shot anything before this, has shot probably 200 or so rounds with this P22 and has so far been able to put 7 grouped in a 3 inch diameter from 25 feet at the range so i feel like if she can hit something enough times, especially with HPs, then that's certainly better than nothing. btw, she also tried my 25 beretta and 40 cal s&w and just doesn't like the recoil on either one.
glt8957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #20

Dirvin .22
I do love my ruger sp101 snub nose 38. I also love the GP100 4". No kick, no chance for misfeeds or stovepipes. A revolver is a good home defense gun and a good gun for a beginner. A good, heavy revolver means no recoil. Just a thought. Good fun at the range too.
Dirvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
best self defense ammo for walther p22
is a p22 walther a good home defense gun
is a walther p22 good for home defense
is a walther p22 good for self defense
is the walther p22 a good gun
walther p22 for personal protection

walther p22 for self defense

walther p22 good for self defense

walther p22 home defense
walther p22 personal protection

walther p22 self defense

walther p22 self defense ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.