WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #11

1917-1911M .38
Sponsored Links
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromThereToHere View Post
Actually, I DID end up buying the P22Q I wanted - bought it just over a week ago. Took it to the range once so far, did about 70 rounds. Used the CCI Velocitor ammo and no problems.

Seemed pretty accurate - I don't have the best hand/eye coordination in the world, but I at least got all the shots SOMEWHERE on the paper of the target, ha ha. And several in the center, enough to feel proud myself.

Keep in mind I'm a very middle-aged lady who NEVER so much as TOUCHED a gun until 2 months ago, although I have played plenty of darts (not sure if that skill crosses over). Actually, I would think darts would have several hand/eye coordination carry overs. When throwing darts you must concentrate on the target and learn controlled, repetitive muscle movement. Shooting is very similar.

I was told to use CCI for the first 500 rounds at least. The gun shop dealer also gave me a 500 rd brick of CCI Mini-Mag with my gun + misc items purchase (like the CCI Velocitors, cleaning kit & extra magazine). And it was my birthday present to myself! Happy Birthday! For your less expensive bulk ammo I might suggest the Remington Golden Bullets, 36 gr, hp. Stay away from the Federal bulk. It will fire, but is marginally powerful enough to cycle the slide.

I figure I'll use them up and then I'll see. I'd like to get used to cleaning the gun before I start messing with, well, messy ammo.

I LOVE IT!
The slide is indeed, definitely easier to use on this P22Q than the original P22. The grip doesn't seem any less or more comfortable, but the original was comfortable for me anyway.
I put the smaller..darn, I forget what it's called...the smaller back part on for the grip, as I have tiny hands. I think they call that a palm swell.

Oh, and the magazine is MUCH MUCH easier to load than on the older P22.
It's SO MUCH easier to slide down the button and keep it in place.
Now, I'm not sure which magazine was in the P22 I had rented at the range - I know there's been several modifications, so maybe it was one of the older ones. There actually shouldn't have been much change to the magazines but the ones at the range might have been used quite a bit and might have been pretty dirty. Keep your magazines clean and lightly lubricated. They are as important as any other part of the pistol for proper function.
I do wish the magazines were a bit cheaper, but at least this is easy to reload. I hear you.....don't we all. '08 was the last year that two came with the pistol.
It IS a little tricky to get the slide back on with that spring, but I'm going to practice on that. One of those times I wish I had 3 hands.Here is the way I do it and it seems to work pretty smooth. With an unloaded pistol, cock the hammer, make sure the take down lever is pulled all the way down, then stand the pistol straight up, hammer and grip resting on the table top. With the recoil spring already installed on the guide rod, drop it into place where it sits under the barrel. Now while holding the pistol and guide rod/spring with one hand, pistol still straight up, place the muzzle cup on the end of the spring. Now insert the plastic guide rod through the end of the muzzle cup, down the spring until the end of it rests on the tip of the guide rod. Hold it against the the guide rod while you pull the slide rearward. When you have pulled the slide rearward enough so that the tip of the guide rod is sticking through the retaining spring cup, drop the guide rod while still holding the slide rearward. Now gently lift the pistol while the slide is still being held rearward, pull the slide all the way to the rear, press down against the hammer just a bit and let it forward. Now press the take down lever up to secure the slide. It takes about 40 times longer to type and read this that the actualy procedure takes.

I wouldn't want a pink P22Q, but gee I wish they made a PURPLE one! <smile>.
I saw, I forget what gun it was, but another .22 there (or maybe a 9mm?) at the gun shop with a purple grip.
Or possibly the anthracite one? The dealer told me so far he's only seen the 22Q in black (which I bought) and the solid military green, which he also had.

Anyway, so far I find it really easy to use. I didn't see any signs of rubbing, but then this is my first gun. Is it just to the finish? And where exactly? Maybe you could post a picture, gearhead? Since this is a full slide pistol there will be some light scratches to the finish where the slide runs. This is normal in all semi autos and nothing to worry about. The one issue that comes up are sharp trigger bar ears. There are a number of threads on that but basically the slide hits two small steel ears on the top of the trigger bar (TB). This is necessary to disconnect the TB from the sear so the pistol doesn't fire full auto. As you read about the P22 and observe yours you will understand what this is all about.

Keeping in mind I primarily bought this gun for fun (the ranges, both indoor & outdoor, and plinking), I am VERY happy with my purchase so far.
I really doubt I'd keep a loaded one in my bedside table. But if I DID, I would think that a full magazine into a guy's nether parts would hurt.
You bet.....thrown or fired....it would hurt. Welcome to Walther Forum and join in the fun. A couple of things are different darts to pistols.....eye protection and ear protection at all times. Safe shooting. M1911
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #12

22eley .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromThereToHere View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a P22Q, in part because I hear that the slide is a little 'grippier', (i.e. easier to get a grip on to slide). I have hand strength issues and always find the slide to be the most difficult part to manipulate in shooting. Right now, I have to wear a leather glove to do so, to get a little more traction.

Bryman, can you tell us?
Also, how was the shooting? Last we heard, you were about to go out for the first time.

Also, wondering where you found yours? I'm in AZ and so far haven't found one to look at/handle.

thanks.
SPORTS SOUTH had 100 blacks and 100 2 tone P22Qs all 3.4 inch ones early last week. i got the 2 tone Q and made it a 5 inch already. the new Q 5 inch black and 5 inch 2 tone are NOT in the US yet!. i ran app 150 rds in my Q to start breaking in in. all i had a 6 cans on Diet Coke, the ONLY good use for that stuff is targets, at 15 and 20 yards. Next week i want to hits some paper. john

Last edited by 22eley; 05-12-2011 at 02:04 PM.
22eley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #13

l433 .22
I just put the first 100 rounds through my new P22Q. CCI Mini-Mags 40gr, no failures whatsoever. Well, actually there were a few failures to lock back after the last round, but that's most likely because of my grip.

In terms of accuracy, I was quite surprised how good it was during the initial sighting, from a rested position. Adjusted the rear sight half a click, changed to #2 front sight, and the whole next mag grouped into the bulls' eye.

Now, the trigger bar ears are not the smoothest, judging by other photos posted around here.

And the results are pretty obvious - like I said, after only 100 rounds.

[One would think that Walther could've taken this opportunity to improve them for the new model. But then again, why would they go through all the effort and expense, when people keep buying the gun anyway...]

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with my new acquisition. After a few more 100's CCI's I'll try some Federal, Remington, etc.
l433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #14

klafrance .22
wanted to post here, as in my searching around this thread kept coming up, and is a main reason why I chose the p22q over the sig mosquito. taking it out and cleaning for the first time, it looks to me as though some of the modifications recommended in the p22 bible have been incorporated with the q, namely the extractor and the hammer angle. Maybe I'm reading the sacred document wrong, but it seems the extractor mod results in a slight "hook" to the end of it. on my p22q, the extractor already has this hook. Also, the angle at the top of the hammer where the slide runs over it when cycling seems to have a pretty good angle to it already. the only thing I did was use 600 grit sandpaper to polish up the ears a little, try to round off that front edge a tiny bit. I'll work on it more later if it appears to need it after the first couple hundred shots.

anyhow, I hope to take it out real soon to start the break in process with some velocitors and minimags. I'll try to get back in and add my nickle to the discussion.
klafrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #15

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by klafrance View Post
wanted to post here, as in my searching around this thread kept coming up, and is a main reason why I chose the p22q over the sig mosquito. taking it out and cleaning for the first time, it looks to me as though some of the modifications recommended in the p22 bible have been incorporated with the q, namely the extractor and the hammer angle. Maybe I'm reading the sacred document wrong, but it seems the extractor mod results in a slight "hook" to the end of it. on my p22q, the extractor already has this hook. The so called bible is from about '04. What I determined was that closing the gap between the extractor tip and the rim would correct ejection direction. I've linked threads on the whole history of the experiments that led to that solution. The original extractor with the square cut could be peened to create a hook. The new extractor cannot be peened, it will break. Don't hit it. VQ also now makes an extractor. Neither reduce the gap enough but the reason is so that a variety of ammo rim thickness will still fit between the extractor and breech face. That new Walthr design is the only change to date and was added in about '07 after we bugged em to death about poor ejection direction. Also, the angle at the top of the hammer where the slide runs over it when cycling seems to have a pretty good angle to it already. This is another mod that was necessary to keep the hammer tip from catching in gap between the rear of the breech block and the safety. Round off the tip a bit to make the hammer face span the gap. Buy this time I had the chief engineers attention...Walther tried their hand at it by flattening the top of the hammer a bit but they didn't get the angle right and when the hammer is under the breech block there is still a tip to catch. Plenty of threads on this and what to do about it. Simple fix, just get rid of the point. And then the latest modification of the rear of the breech block and safety so that the cocked hammer no longer even touches the breech. That totally cures the slide from hanging the slide up. the only thing I did was use 600 grit sandpaper to polish up the ears a little, try to round off that front edge a tiny bit. I'll work on it more later if it appears to need it after the first couple hundred shots. Good approach, the ears are the only part that can actually damage the pistol......all of the other stuff is just for fixing aggravating poor function. I think in the long run the P22 wil outlast the skeeter due to more robust frame rails and the frame is the pistol.

anyhow, I hope to take it out real soon to start the break in process with some velocitors and minimags. I'll try to get back in and add my nickle to the discussion.
Try some remmy golden boolitz for your bulk. I find it works very nicely. There are a few duds in all of em. M1911
1917-1911M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #16

klafrance .22
So I've officially tested the gun out a bit. Shot 100 rounds of cci velicotors, then 100 minimags, then fed a bunch of federal bulk I bought from wallyworld a couple years ago. Not a single stovepipe or fail to fire. only a couple of jams with the bulk, and that only happened when I was firing off the clip as quickly as possible. The last bullet would either fail to feed or jam, then the slide would often not lock back when I did chamber and fire that last round. I think the heat just gets to be too much when you fire off 10 rounds so quickly. When taking my time and shooting one to two rounds per second at most, not one problem. Had a bunch of fun and this looks like it's going to be a great pistol for my family and me.

Regarding the "mods" (i.e. polishing) I did, it seems that did the trick. No more problems with the ears causing any problems on the slide ramps, and everything appears to be in fine order. My only problem with the gun is that even with the ejector being what it is, it still flings brass a little sporadically. However, probably not any more than any other gun.

Thanks for the advice 1911.
klafrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #17

PatrickinGa .22
For those above having trouble re-assembling slide back onto P22 after breaking it down - here is an easy way, even my wife can do it. Takes a couple times until you figure out which hand you prefer to hold what with.

Take the inner guide rod, and put the spring onto the rod first thing.

Then put the proper end of the rod through the lower hold in the slide.

Take the rod with your free hand, and pull to compress it enough for it to be comfortable for you putting the slide back on the gun frame.

Now put the slide onto the gun frame, fitting the end of rod into proper position in the slide.

At this point, slide is partially on the gun frame, and rod is compressed enough to finish putting slide on gun frame with both ends of rod already where they need to be.

Don't forget to push breakdown lock back up when finished.

Also easier than it sounds once you have done it a couple of times.
Savage bolt-action .22 (7 shot clip) rifle
Vintage Mossberg 500 12ga pump

I also like to shoot with a Nikon
PatrickinGa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
is the p22q better than p22
p-22q
p22 q

p22q

p22q review
p22q vs p22
p22q walther
walter p22q

walther p22q

walther p22q 22lr
walther p22q review
walther p22q wiki
Click on a term to search for related topics.