Walther Forums banner

P22 Digital Camo chipping off.

14K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  cboom 
#1 ·
I bought a p22 with the digital camo a couple of days ago. Took it out and fired a couple of boxes of rounds through it yesterday. Afterwards I noticed the finish was coming off on the front of the frame. Then noticed several other small chips in different areas. I rubbed my figernail across one of them and more finish rubbed off. Cheap spray paint would bond as good as this finish :mad: Has anybody else ran into this?

#2 ·
Yes!

After a extensive search I found a pink/carbon fiber framed version for my Wife. It arrived and it had the finish "rubbed off" of the grip on each side.

I haven't gotten anywhere with Walther or S&W cust serv. Pink frames are all gone. We could have a different color though!

#4 ·
Yes they offered to replace mine too....with another color, not the pink-carbon fiber finish---the whole reason we bought it in the first place.....

You know if they replace the frame it will have to be sent to a FFL and you will have to do a tansfer, possibly pay a fee...

#5 ·
the "frame" on the P22 isn't actually a serial numbered frame. the actual registered part is the metal frame that is pinned into the plastic "carrier". i sent in my desert camo P22 and they replaced it with a regular black "carrier". at least the jackasses threw in a USED 5" barrel kit to compensate for giving me back the exact thing i didn't want :( .

anyway, call S&W and they'll send you a fedex call tag. ship from a fedex customer center (not a fedex kinkos!) and no FFL needed. and i'm in NJ, so your state should be easier LOL.

#7 ·
Well it could, but they wouldn't do that for me. I was told I needed to send the whole gun in and they would most likely replace the whole gun. I didn't want this because my gun seemed to shoot trouble free. My gun is sent in now so I guess I'm at their mercy......

#9 ·
The serial number is on two places, both on the right side of the frame. That makes the frame, the firearm. Barrels, triggers, hammers and the polymer grip can all be changed. They have no serial numbers. Only the frame cannot be swapped around or the serial number modified/removed. One serial number you can clearly see with the grip installed and the other is pretty small and is stamped on the right side also and appx under the ejection port area as I recall.

Wouldn't have thought the grips would be having any problems. All of mine have been tough as nails but I haven't ever had any of the patterned styles. M1911

#12 ·
Update... Walther or S&W called me last week and said they were going to send me a new one with the green frame when they got another one from Germany........ And for the record just sent the gun back and took everything else out of the box like the instructions they sent me said. I told the guy I really didn't want a new gun, as mine worked well and heard about the problems others have had. But was told I didn't have a choice. So I asked to send me a couple mags since I paid $50 bucks more than a solid framed gun costs. He said I could buy more at a discount, but was getting one more with the new gun.

All and all I dropped around 400 bones on the gun an extra mag and 500 rounds of .22 on an impulse buy. Had the gun for a week, and now just hoping to get one back at some time. Cool looking gun just like my P99 that the bottem of the mags break off at just the wrong times..... I think I am very done with Walther, I keep sticking up for them but keep having problems.

#13 ·
I think I am very done with Walther, I keep sticking up for them but keep having problems.
At the risk of repeating material that at least some find either obnoxious or spurious, or both, Umarex is responsible for the P22, the SP22, and the PK380. Umarex is Walther's parent company and is a maker of air guns. Umarex slaps the Walther banner on its products, despite the design and engineering quality. I find that to be a pity.

We can argue, I suppose (and some have) that Walther is now Umarex and that Umarex is now Walther. And for as long as this relationship continues, it's at least a decent argument to make. But there's still a huge difference in my mind between a P22, made in Koln/Umarex, and a P99, made in Ulm/Walther. The last true Walther was the PPS. The next one, we suspect, is the pending PPQ. The new P22? Umarex.

For what it's worth ...

#16 · (Edited)
Which in turn wreaks havoc with Walther's reputation in the gun community. Of course, the S&W recall/ongoing QC issues debacle hasn't helped, either. But Umarex is not doing the Walther brand a bit of good, and it drags mightly on the firearms that truly are put together with some care. More's the pity.

#17 ·
They had called me on April 30th and told me I would be getting a new one in 2-3 weeks. But to call back in a week to check on the status. I called them today and they told me I am looking at May 25 for my gun back. Another month and a half. I will end up well over 2 month's since I sent it in.

So I paid for it had it for a week and had problems and sent it in. Now I am out of a gun and my cash till some date way off in the future. And I don't care if Walther doesn't actually make the gun, it has their name on it! I am done with this company.

#20 ·
cboom, sorry for the problems. Sounds like S&W is making a reasonable effort but they should have advised that they didn't have the grips and let you keep the pistol until the parts arrived. I expect there is very little replacement of the polymer grips so they probably don't stock them. Same for the silver slide.

But, I'd be interested in that new P22. I've yet to see one. Don't know that I like the looks any better but I am hoping that Walther strengthened the metal design at the recoil cup. This is the area where a few pistols have cracked the slide and exactly where you would expect the most serious impact to occur. The cup hits the take down lever.

When you get it and eventually take it apart how about some good pictures of the underside of the slide, the trigger bar ears, hammer, etc. I'd be curious to see what has changed. That extra notch on the rail was needed. The pistol was so short it was hard to add many options. That integrated laser looks interesting too. I personally don't like lasers for target shooting. I like using my eyes. Do have a Crimson Trace on one of my carries and it works great. Keep us posted. Hope you get it soon. M1911

#28 ·
Got my new P22q military today! Don't know if I like the look of the new grips as well, but the do feel better in the hand. Went outside after I got home and put a box of mini mags through it. Not one singe issue! Looks like they changed the numbering system on the model of the clips. There is no longer a letter (A or B) at the end. But the older clips (ending in B) still work fine in the gun. All and all happy with the gun. I will try to figure out how to post some pics for you 1911.

#31 ·
Well I pulled it apart last night and polished up the ears a bit. And looking forward to putting some more rounds through it today. And yes they still only come with one clip. And the butt plate on the clip does have design that matches the frame of the gun on it. But the old mags do not look out of place in it all all.

Well lets see if I managed to figure this picture thing out........

#32 ·
The pictures came out fine cboom. I really like that color combo. Can't tell much about any internal slide changes....doubt there are any. Your trigger bar ears appear to be sharp from the cuts in the slide. Indenting is one thing but when I see sharp cuts, especially after only one box of ammo.....I expect the ears need a little tlc. Good lighting is really an important part of good photos. I find a bright day but without the parts being in direct sunlight make for good pictures. Also uncluttered background is good and it is better to have a sharply focused picture over a close-up that is out of focus. Keep us posted..That new model really doesn't look too much different. I guess the ones I saw pictures of must have been slicked up with wax to make em shine or something. Still looks like a P22. M1911

#33 ·
Like I said I one of my last posts after I shot it yesterday I pulled it apart and rounded and polished the ears up last night.....

My friends and I went up to the hills today and blew off a lot of ammo! I went through a couple hundred rounds of .223 and a box of 9 and 40. Also put a couple hundred rounds through the p22. One more box of the mini mags. Then put about 10 mags worth of the Remy Gold. Only reason I had that was because you (1911) recomended it. Not one single misfire oe any kind! Love this little gun.

Gonna pull it apart now and see of the polishing of the trigger ears helped things out. Thanks for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.