WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Pilotsteve .22
Hands down the best ammunition for your P22

Sponsored Links
Hello friends. I have some information for P22 "newbies" and "old salts" as well. In regards to the best ammunition you can get for your P22, here is the Golden Fleece:

We all know how our Walthers are ammo fussy. After much trial and error my girl and I have found several rounds her P22 likes, but her P22 LOVES these nasty pellets! No failures through two boxes of them. They are hyper-velocity rounds that scream away at over 1600 feet per second (you can clearly hear a sonic "crack"), and are hollow points as well! Squirrels and opossum beware! These would be the rounds to consider if you carry a P22 for protection purposes as well. That round is going to shatter into a million pieces on impact and do some serious damage.

What's better? I do not lie when I make the statement that these little rounds produce the most spectacular muzzle flash I have ever seen from a handgun! I have shot 9mm kurz, 9mm Luger, .357 Magnum, and .40 handguns and I am confident in stating these Stingers make an incredible muzzle flash! A basketball-sized ball of bright blue-white flame flashes before the P22 when firing these bullets, visible in bright daylight.

Just thought I'd share. These bullets are incredible and your P22 will thank you for feeding it some Stingers, and you will smile after a magazine of them!

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #2

Karfox1 .22
Stingers are good, but mine loves CCI mini-mags the best.

SW99 .40 cal
PK380 --replaced by S&W M&P 40c
P22 OD
M40-A5
Blazer Tac.2 .300 Win mag/.338 Lapua mag

Gun control isn't determined by laws but by paper. The tighter the grouping the better the gun control.

Congress: Never understimate the power of stupid people in large crowds
Karfox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #3

bigfatdave .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karfox1 View Post
Stingers are good, but mine loves CCI mini-mags the best.
Mine too.
Stingers may be causing extra wear, too Pilotsteve ... but you're right, they're the only way to get that little P22 to thump with any authority!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #4

trueg50 .22
Though expensive, I carry Velocitors in mine when I carry in the woods. Those are 1435FPS out of a rifle, and 40 grain (not 32 grain). Though man are these loud; I had my P22 for only a few hours when I ran into a handy red squirrel, I only fired one shot but my ears were ringing pretty good!
trueg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Karfox1 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Though expensive, I carry Velocitors in mine when I carry in the woods. Those are 1435FPS out of a rifle, and 40 grain (not 32 grain). Though man are these loud; I had my P22 for only a few hours when I ran into a handy red squirrel, I only fired one shot but my ears were ringing pretty good!
question is did you get the squirrel?

SW99 .40 cal
PK380 --replaced by S&W M&P 40c
P22 OD
M40-A5
Blazer Tac.2 .300 Win mag/.338 Lapua mag

Gun control isn't determined by laws but by paper. The tighter the grouping the better the gun control.

Congress: Never understimate the power of stupid people in large crowds
Karfox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #6

trueg50 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karfox1 View Post
question is did you get the squirrel?
You bet I did! Gave up his ghost before he hit the ground.

I don't know how as the pistol ended up needing some adjustment, but I'll chalk it up to dumb luck I guess.
trueg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #7

Pilotsteve .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
You bet I did! Gave up his ghost before he hit the ground.
Good shooting. Now my question: did you eat him too? I would never shoot an animal unless:

A) I intend to eat it.

B) It's a mean dog or other animal who intends to eat me.

C) It's vermin who is doing destructive damage to my house/trashcan/garden.

Not to sound like a hillbilly, but squirrel is quite delicious although the small amount of meat makes taking several home necessary. I could share a wonderful recipe if anyone were interested.

-Pilotsteve
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #8

Iron Man .22
I'm confused over all the fuss about the P22 being ammunition picky. This has been discussed on another forum to which I belong.

Mine shoots literally anything! The cheapest bulk packs shoot as well as CCI Mini Mags (my Sig Mosquito would argue that one).

I have some low velocity competition rounds that gave me a FTE when I tried those, but I use those solely in my Kimber competition rifle.

Try these little tips...
Polish the feed ramp by hand
Place a drop of oil in the little extractor hole on the slide
Rub a very small amount of oil on the face of the hammer and on the barrel surface (outside the barrel).
One drop of oil on each frame rail

And viola, you have removed most of the friction. This thing proves to be flawless!
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #9

Pilotsteve .22
Ironman, you may be either lucky or have fired your P22 enough to have properly broken it in and loosened things up properly. My girls has become a lot better with time but when she first got it the P22 was very fussy. Oh, and have you ever tried that Federal bulk .22 ammo, in the red 550 round Value Pack box? Try those in your P22 and prepare for Failure-to-Feed city! It's the ridge around the side of the bullet.... catches the side of the chamber and jams almost every time. Plus, those are just plain filthy, smoky rounds that foul the Walther with soot and ash, and you will feel stinging sensations as you shoot them because tiny pieces of the bullet seem to fly off as they leave the barrel. You'll see peppery speckles about your firing area after a few dozen of those yucky rounds... if you get that far without dumping them into the can!

-Pilotsteve
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #10

Iron Man .22
I buy the Remington Thunderbolt .22 in a green box. It is also bulk, but shoots great.
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22

Search tags for this page
ammo for walther p22
best ammo for a walther p22
best ammo for p22

best ammo for walther p22

best ammunition for walther p22
p22 ammo
recommended ammo for walther p22
walther p 22 best ammo

walther p22 ammo

walther p22 ammunition
walther p22 best ammo
walther p22 recommended ammo
Click on a term to search for related topics.