Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

Kkenreigh .22
A Well Written Article

Sponsored Links
An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

Feel free to disagree, but this is one of the better ones I have read in the past few weeks. I know that a lot of people here feel very passionate about the topic and thought this might be helpful with putting some emotions into words.

I'm a young buck. The 1994 ban was passed when I was 5, barely. However, I've spent an awful lot of time researching and debating for the end of marijunana prohibition and one of the things I have found is that if a group of people thinks you're a criminal, you need to absolutely be full of good information. You may not convince everyone but you will certainly do better if you know what you're talking about.

That being said, I'm willing to learn from anything you guys and gals have to share. Knowledge is a great equalizer.
Sharwnthla, DrE and DuraRation like this.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Supporting Member

UniversalExports .38
Your link doesn't work, KKen.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Kkenreigh .22
Hmm. It works when I click it.

Just in case here it is again, straight from the address bar.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...n-gun-control/

Last edited by Kkenreigh; 01-02-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Kkenreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkenreigh View Post
An opinion on gun control « Monster Hunter Nation

Feel free to disagree, but this is one of the better ones I have read in the past few weeks. I know that a lot of people here feel very passionate about the topic and thought this might be helpful with putting some emotions into words.

I'm a young buck. The 1994 ban was passed when I was 5, barely. However, I've spent an awful lot of time researching and debating for the end of marijunana prohibition and one of the things I have found is that if a group of people thinks you're a criminal, you need to absolutely be full of good information. You may not convince everyone but you will certainly do better if you know what you're talking about.

That being said, I'm willing to learn from anything you guys and gals have to share. Knowledge is a great equalizer.
Wow, GREAT article. I will have to say that my PC almost choked trying to load this page. I just left it alone and let it churn....finally loaded. I also did a copy and paste into 'Word'......and that was a bear as well. The article is 16 pages long with 2113 responses, resulting in a document that is 679 pages.

The article is well worth the time it takes to let it load and the time it takes to read.

Thanks for posting the link!!!!!
DrE likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
DrE

DrE .22
BRILLIANT blog, KKenreigh! Thanks for posting the link. I gotta do the same thing Ima did and save it, mebbe hand it out when encountering some anti-A2 types.

ADDENDUM: Just heard The Journal News editors (NY) and staff have hired a ~security firm~ to "protect" them... though local law enforcement has determined what the company claims as their reason (threatening emails and 'phone calls) for hiring armed guards was no credible threat.

Their real threat would be mass subscription cancellations!
Sharwnthla likes this.
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
NRA Member

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." --- Thomas Jefferson.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the
system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
---Claire Wolfe

Last edited by DrE; 01-02-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: ADDENDUM
DrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

eveled .22
Wow! That guy can write! He hit a whole case of nails right on the head. Think we can talk him into running for president?
DuraRation likes this.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Supporting Member

UniversalExports .38
Second link worked like a charm. Well done article. Really enjoyed it.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #8

Rothenfluh .22
Excellent article.

R
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #9

safearm .22
Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's a bit too self-promotional (links to purchase his novels on the right side of the page and links to previous essays throughout the text) and a bit too much rhetoric for a reasonable discussion, i.e., "Another disaffected loser scumbag started shooting up this mall."
Any conversation/discussion/article on this important topic needs to be less emotional and more factual. For example, his statement, "Because I hate to break it to you, but when nearly six hundred people get murdered a year in beautiful Gun Free Chicago, that’s not my people doing the shooting." In fact, as reported in today's Chicago Tribune, 506 people were murdered this year in Chicago, and that's the first time that the number has been greater than 500 since 2008.
You and I will not be able to sway the middle ground folks, let alone those on the far side of the debate, if we use emotional terms and exaggerated facts.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #10

trentor .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by safearm View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree. It's a bit too self-promotional (links to purchase his novels on the right side of the page and links to previous essays throughout the text) and a bit too much rhetoric for a reasonable discussion, i.e., "Another disaffected loser scumbag started shooting up this mall."
Any conversation/discussion/article on this important topic needs to be less emotional and more factual. For example, his statement, "Because I hate to break it to you, but when nearly six hundred people get murdered a year in beautiful Gun Free Chicago, that’s not my people doing the shooting." In fact, as reported in today's Chicago Tribune, 506 people were murdered this year in Chicago, and that's the first time that the number has been greater than 500 since 2008.
You and I will not be able to sway the middle ground folks, let alone those on the far side of the debate, if we use emotional terms and exaggerated facts.
Good point about exaggerated facts. I do agree there. However, I disagree about the self-promotion and rhetoric. The guy is a NYT best-selling author. Naturally there is going to be some rhetoric...it comes with the territory. As far as the self-promotion...similar argument. This "article" is nothing more than a blog entry. It's on his personal Wordpress blog page, so all those links are there regardless if the blog entry is about gun control or baking a cake.
trentor is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion