WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Dave_I .22
Choosing an EDC Knife: Thoughts & Recommendations?

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to get a knife for carry. So far I have one from my dad that's an old school non-locking Buck knife. It's handy and sentimental, if limited. However, I'm looking for something to fill the role of an EDC knife.

I've read a lot, however I am not quite sure what to get, nor really where to be able to try them. I'm fine paying a little more to get a nice one, and I have some credit w/ Amazon, however I do not just want to shoot blindly. I know a few of you have written about this, just thought I'd inquire specifically about what I should do to choose one. Any thoughts or recommendations?

-Cheers
Dave_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

Boogs .22
I have too many knives to list, truly.. Sog, Gerber, Buck, Kershaw, maybe 30 or so? I have a number I'd be willing to part with, not to make a pitch-- but if you decide what you're looking for, I can let you know and maybe save you some money/trade

I've been carrying a Gerber Instant for a few months:
Gerber Instant
and really like it.

I never liked spring loaded knives, but it has a really positive snap when it opens, and I can close it with one hand (button and slide top of knife down side of pants). It serves its purpose, has a really nice grip, and conceals well when clipped inside any pant pocket.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Dave_I .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs View Post
I have too many knives to list, truly.. Sog, Gerber, Buck, Kershaw, maybe 30 or so? I have a number I'd be willing to part with, not to make a pitch-- but if you decide what you're looking for, I can let you know and maybe save you some money/trade
I appreciate it. Right now, I'm not even sure what I want, but I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
I've been carrying a Gerber Instant for a few months:
Gerber Instant
and really like it.

I never liked spring loaded knives, but it has a really positive snap when it opens, and I can close it with one hand (button and slide top of knife down side of pants). It serves its purpose, has a really nice grip, and conceals well when clipped inside any pant pocket.
I think a friend of mine may have been talking about that one (it was some kind of Gerber for sure). I'll try to check it out, online or in-hand if I can.

-Cheers
Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
The Original Swiss Army Knife

I've carried one of these for 50 years or more; it's never let me down and has come in handy more times than I can count. Don't leave home without it.
Boogs and Punch like this.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 01-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

Boogs .22
Oh yeah, they've been trying to catch the Swiss Army Stabber for five decades now... hmmmmmm
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Que

Que .22
I have a large variety of knives in many price/quality ranges. Really, it's hard to go wrong with either a Benchmade or a Spyderco. Another fine inexpensively priced knife is the Kershaw Skyline. It's a good tough knife far more capable than it looks that is light enough to disappear in your pocket for EDC. If you are looking for something a little more stout the Zero Tolerance 0350 is a wonderful knife that carries much easier than its size would suggest.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

Boogs .22
I tallied mine up.. over 34 in two years accumulating (wouldn't call it collecting). Mostly Gerber, half dozen Sog, half dozen Kershaw, few Buck, Swiss

I do have a Skyline as mentioned, neat little knife, and Kershaw makes a good blade. Definitely look into it for EDC, ideal. Also the SOG Twitch II is nice. Little more controls than the skyline, whether thats good or bad is up to you
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #8

Quercusalba .22
My edc is a camillus army knife...had one for years.
Lots of good choices out there...
Quercusalba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Milspec .38
I carry a SOG X-Ray Vision Mini as a backup and utility knife. It's a flat & thin tactical folder with pen type pocket clip so it won't draw attention. The fast opening 3" blade has a Tanto point and a serrated section at the rear. Here's more info...
X-Ray Vision Mini
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-SOGMXV72.jpg (5.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Dave_I .22
Any pro's/con's to the Benchmade 940 or reverse-Tanto blades in general? I kind of like the nice long flat edge and the point seems nice on that style of blade. I've read a bit on the 940 and it pretty much seems like a love-it/hate-it knife. On paper, the design seems pretty well thought out.

-Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Search tags for this page

brandon webb knife

choose and edc knife

choosing an edc

choosing an edc knife

edc knife thoughts

how long edc knife

how to choose edc knife

how to choose knife for edc

how to choose what knife to edc

kershaw skyline knife edc

Click on a term to search for related topics.