WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #1

Partsman .22
Ideal distance to the target

Sponsored Links
What would be the ideal distance to the target at the range when practicing for defense?
Partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #2

bigfatdave .38
I don't think there is an "ideal" distance. For handguns that might see serious use, anything from 2 to 20 yards is reasonable, you should be doing realistic practice instead of just punching holes in stationary paper from a fixed location. (for the inevitable posters who say their range doesn't allow anything but bench --> paper shooting ... get a better range)

I practice point-shooting out to 10 yards or so regularly, as well as sighted fire out to 20. I don't really envision a defensive need for 20 yards, but it builds skills that translate to closer work, too.

But more important than distance would be actually getting active. A nice big outdoor range with a large backstop helps, but even an indoor range without dividers is better than standing behind a bench and punching paper, you need to do at least some work on the move, clearing malfunctions, picking a target at the last second, reloading rapidly, etc. You might even want to practice a smooth draw from concealment, muggers and rapists rarely approach you from the other side of a bench, and they almost NEVER stand still at 10 yards waiting for you to pick a gun off that bench.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #3

Pilotsteve .22
Very good post, Bigfatdave. I wish we had a "better range" around here. What I do have is nearly endless forest where I can go out and train any way I want, but I've got to wait for the meter and a half of snow that's piled up around here to melt before I venture into the woods.

I recently read an article in which was stated most defensive shootings occur at a distance of five to seven paces. This takes into account attempts to flee/break free from a struggle with a fiend as well as the most common distances home invaders have been laid down by homeowners. Distances above 20 meters is not necessary for training for personal defense because:

1) You're very unlikely to hit a moving target at that range with a handgun.

2) If you're shooting at a fiend at that distance, he's probably running away and you never want to shoot at a retreating/fleeing criminal. You will instantly forfeit your self-defense status if you shoot someone in the back.

Partsman, I'd suggest you walk around your house and count your steps. Envision a scenario... I'm standing here and the thug is standing there. Or, I'm upstairs in my bed and hear something downstairs... I grab my shotgun/Walther and look down the stairs to see an invader. How many steps?

-Pilotsteve, who knows it's exactly 8 paces from the bottom of the stairs to the muzzle of my Mossberg.
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #4

RickJZ Unproven
with a pistol, I like to practice with a target placed between the range of seven or ten yards.
RickJZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Supporting Vendor

REDFISH .22
I agree with bigfatdave,
Here are my basic practice drills.
I shoot 100 to 200 rounds a week . I start with close up drills and point shooting, also include 1 handed draws and retension draws as well. Slowly work my way out to 25 feet or so with point shooting. Everyone has a specific distance where point shooting starts to get inaccurate. I work at gradualy increasing that distance. Then I shoot at 30 to 50 feet using the sights. Always retreating and moving to cover at an angle on all drills. Changing the senario up on every drill.
At the same time I have 15 different mags I use if I am shooting alone. I load all of them up with dummy rounds , 2 bullets, 3 bullets, 5 bullets, full mags , etc. and mix them all up so I have no idea how many rounds or when I will have a malfunction. This also allows me to practise my FTF's & mag changes under stress.
I set up IDPA targets and score them as well on ocasion. At the same time timing myself with a timer as well.
Practice exactly the way I carry everyday with my carry holster. Always start with a fighters stance. Arms up & forward, feet placed for quick movement, looking in the general area of the target, Beep , buzzer goes off in a undertermined time, comence drill. Also do some knife drills at close distances.
Ocasionaly I get to use a forclosure house and do force on force airsoft training as well. Very rare but increadible practice.
Working on making movers for my range as well.
All this keeps me very busy .

REDFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #6

swa0210 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFISH View Post
I agree with bigfatdave,
Here are my basic practice drills.
I shoot 100 to 200 rounds a week . I start with close up drills and point shooting, also include 1 handed draws and retension draws as well. Slowly work my way out to 25 feet or so with point shooting. Everyone has a specific distance where point shooting starts to get inaccurate. I work at gradualy increasing that distance. Then I shoot at 30 to 50 feet using the sights. Always retreating and moving to cover at an angle on all drills. Changing the senario up on every drill.
At the same time I have 15 different mags I use if I am shooting alone. I load all of them up with dummy rounds , 2 bullets, 3 bullets, 5 bullets, full mags , etc. and mix them all up so I have no idea how many rounds or when I will have a malfunction. This also allows me to practise my FTF's & mag changes under stress.
I set up IDPA targets and score them as well on ocasion. At the same time timing myself with a timer as well.
Practice exactly the way I carry everyday with my carry holster. Always start with a fighters stance. Arms up & forward, feet placed for quick movement, looking in the general area of the target, Beep , buzzer goes off in a undertermined time, comence drill. Also do some knife drills at close distances.
Ocasionaly I get to use a forclosure house and do force on force airsoft training as well. Very rare but increadible practice.
Working on making movers for my range as well.
All this keeps me very busy .
Where are you able to do all of this?

I only have simple ranges in my area that won't allow that kind of stuff, but these drills seem well thought out
swa0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
WALTHER KING

TANFOGLIO .22
0,5 - 5,0 Meter

Last edited by TANFOGLIO; 05-19-2011 at 02:27 PM.
TANFOGLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

BROBS Unproven
when i set up at the range i usually do point shoot at around 7 yards and sight shoot at 15 yards.
BROBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #9

bigfatdave .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa0210 View Post
Where are you able to do all of this?

I only have simple ranges in my area that won't allow that kind of stuff, but these drills seem well thought out
Get a better range ... look for a hunting for conservation club
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
WALTHER KING

TANFOGLIO .22
............ when practicing for defense?

How far is a fire fight -
how fast you hit a target at 0.5 meters - do u have test it ?
believe me I know what I am talking.
I do not know the laws in the U.S. but 50 feet is in German no defense.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Search tags for this page

handgun target distance

ideal pistol range
pistol distance from target
pistol range distance

pistol target distance

pistol target distances

pistol target range distance

standard handgun target distance

standard pistol range distance

standard pistol range distances

standard pistol target distance

standard target distance for pistols
Click on a term to search for related topics.