WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Iron Man .22
Custom Shooting Glasses Made at Home!!

Sponsored Links
I hear a lot from shooters who complain about bifocals, or not being able to focus on the sights on their guns because of corrected vision.

This works, and it is dirt cheap, simple, and extremely effective.

Go to Walmart and get a pair of clip-on sunglasses that you mount to your shooting glasses. They come in multiple sizes and shapes, so you can get just about anything you want.

Determine what your dominant eye is. To do this look at a distant object and hold up your thumb so that it appears to cover that object. Close one eye and then the other. When you close one of your eyes and your thumb does not appear to move off the object then the open eye is the dominant one.

Do the following for the dominant eye.

Put the sunglasses on your shooting glasses and place a piece of black electrical tape with a small hole in it on the lens. Remove and replace the tape until you can bring your gun into position and see both sights and the target through the small hole without tilting your head.

Drill a small hole through the sunglass lense where the hole in the tape is.

Using very small wire cutters, remove the undrilled lens that would be over your non-dominant eye.

Spray paint the lens with the small hole flat black.

Once dry, place the new shooting patch on your shooting glasses. The reduced aperature forces a greater depth of field. You will find that your rear sight, front sight, AND the target will all be in focus and in the same plane.

It works, it costs about eight dollars to do, and you will be extremely happy.

I have made these for all my shooting friends. As a matter of fact, I have several I am making right now!
Captatnman and right2bear like this.
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

PK380 .22
Uh, can you post pictures? Perhaps it is all the sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but I'm more than a little befuddled by this. I can't quite grasp it.

Pictures of the process (steps) would be grand.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #3

Iron Man .22
I'm making some tonight, so I'll take pictures and post when I'm finished.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #4

Iron Man .22
Custom Shooting Glasses

Here are step by step instructions on how to create a set of custom shooting glasses that greatly increase your depth of field and solve the problem of bifocals or progressive lenses.

Total cost around $10.00 or so.

First get together your tools. You will need:
The shooting glasses to be worn
A drill
Wire cutters
Electrical tape
Your favorite hand gun (unloaded of course)
A small drill bit (the smaller the better but not too small...the young man I made these for borrowed my bits so I don't remember what size I used.)
A can of flat black spray paint
A pair of flip-up clip-on sunglasses from Walmart (in the jewelry section).

Buy a pair of flip-up clip-on sunglasses that are the closest match to the shape and size of your shooting glasses.

Cut a small piece of electrical tape...

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Iron Man .22
Using the small drill bit carefully poke a hole in the middle of the tape.

Mount your glasses to your shooting glasses.

Flip the sunglasses down and place the piece of tape with the hole in it over your dominant eye so you can see through the small hole.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #6

Iron Man .22
Hold your weapon as you would normally shoot it and adjust the tape so that you look through the small hole normally and can see both sights and your target without having to tilt or move your head. (Notice this young man shoots a Walther...nice choice!)

Using the small bit (I am using a 5/64") carefully drill a hole through the lens where the hole in the tape indicates it should be.

This will leave a small hole in the lens that you will look directly through the next time your glasses are mounted.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

Iron Man .22
Spray paint the drilled lens front and back with the flat black paint. This will keep you from involuntarily looking through the tinted lens around the hole.

After the paint has dried (mine is still wet) clip the undrilled lens off of the glasses with your wire cutters.

The drilled lens will still be attached to the clip-on mechanism. Dispose of the undrilled lens.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #8

Iron Man .22
You should now have an opaque flap that will fold over your dominant eye with a small 5/64" hole in it.

Clip the lens back onto your shooting glasses and put them on. When you don't need the patch, simply flip it up out of the way.

When flipped in place the small hole only allows you to focus on the required sights and target. The removed lens allows you to safely see around you.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM   #9

Iron Man .22
Now when you shoot your depth of field is adjusted so that when you sight your pistol the target, front sight, and rear sights all appear to be on the same plane and nothing is fuzzy.

The small hole acts like a camera aperture that adjusts the depth of field. This is also how aperture sights work on rifles. The image is forced through a smaller range of vision reducing blur on the back of the eye.

If you don't believe this works or for more information google aperture and depth of field.

Good shooting.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #10

PK380 .22
Thank you very much for the pictures. NOW it makes sense to my addled brain.

I might try this.

What are the arguments pro/con on this? Does it improve your shooting when you are NOT wearing the "pirate patch?" Or is it a crutch?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Gear, Gadgets, Tactics and Training

Search tags for this page
aperture shooting glasses
clip on eye patch

clip on shooting glasses

custom shooting glasses

dominant eye shooting glasses
eye dominance shooting glasses
eye patch for shooting
eyeglass shooting aperture

shooters eye patch

shooting eye patch

shooting glasses aperture
shooting glasses eye patch
Click on a term to search for related topics.